Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

Even singing hymns in church I couldn't read the notes, but I knew the melodies by heart. I just needed the book to get the words right.

It would be a waste of time for many. Every kid wouldn't benefit from it any more than every kid benefiting from a welding class. All people are different and you can't paint with that broad of a brush.

Wrong. It's not just interest level. It's brain activity and spacial recognition. Which I'm guessing you don't get from welding.

Here is just one article, but there are reams more.

Wrong. It's not just interest level. It's brain activity and spacial recognition. Which I'm guessing you don't get from welding.

I hope this doesn't suggest that the brains of musicians are superior to that of welders. ;)

I hope this doesn't suggest that the brains of musicians are superior to that of welders. ;)

Didn't mean to; never would. Everyone starts at different places and everyone has different physiology. The trades are great. But music is particularly brain-enhancing because it is both cerebral and involves fast, fine motor skills at the same time. If you add in reading music, you involve all that brain activity as well. It's like reading, but you're translating that to fine movements which translate into sound. Lots and lots going on in the brain. :)

I am a retired machinist. I have exemplary spatial recognition. I also am not very musical. I think it is clear that you are a jaded music teacher trying to justify your position. I have made clear in this thread that I believed music is something every child should be EXPOSED to. I do not believe that every child benefits from an in depth music curriculum.

I am a retired machinist. I have exemplary spatial recognition. I also am not very musical. I think it is clear that you are a jaded music teacher trying to justify your position. I have made clear in this thread that I believed music is something every child should be EXPOSED to. I do not believe that every child benefits from an in depth music curriculum.

That's too bad (meant sincerely). I believe every child would benefit from taking some kind of what we used to call "shop" class. As you are not musical, I am not visual and not good at building things. But if I had learned this, even for a bit, it would have built knowledge and skills. That always makes you smarter.

There is a difference between what you ENJOY and what is of benefit. I don't really enjoy eating vegetables, but I do it because they benefit me. No one who doesn't love vegetables should be forced to eat them for every meal, I agree. But serving them daily is probably a great idea, for the benefit if not for your propensity to want to eat them.

This is what I mean. School is not just about what you enjoy or where you talents lie. It's about building a foundation of knowledge and, more than ever, about building a strong brain. Because our access to knowledge is almost limitless and that knowledge is changing quickly. But if we are strong thinkers--that's gold.

That's too bad (meant sincerely). I believe every child would benefit from taking some kind of what we used to call "shop" class. As you are not musical, I am not visual and not good at building things. But if I had learned this, even for a bit, it would have built knowledge and skills. That always makes you smarter.

There is a difference between what you ENJOY and what is of benefit. I don't really enjoy eating vegetables, but I do it because they benefit me. No one who doesn't love vegetables should be forced to eat them for every meal, I agree. But serving them daily is probably a great idea, for the benefit if not for your propensity to want to eat them.

This is what I mean. School is not just about what you enjoy or where you talents lie. It's about building a foundation of knowledge and, more than ever, about building a strong brain. Because our access to knowledge is almost limitless and that knowledge is changing quickly. But if we are strong thinkers--that's gold.
Like muscle strength, brain strength fades if not continuously exercised. Rigorous education, like boy's weight lifting, is a 'rite of passage' for most. School proscribes what one is to think, within probationary time limits. Of course, this is not how the normal brain functions. That lessons are soon mostly forgotten indicates that brain function soon returns to normal and focuses instead on the workaday world.

300,000 teachers and staff members short this year, coast to coast.

Teachers are being hired without an interview. Principal calls them up, they are hired on the spot. Not great for my profession or for kids. But here we are.

300,000 teachers and staff members short this year, coast to coast.

Teachers are being hired without an interview. Principal calls them up, they are hired on the spot. Not great for my profession or for kids. But here we are.
It seems that the educational system is a victim of its own success. ;)

Forum List

Back