Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
It's hard to believe, but school starts in late July in some areas, early August in some, and as late as the week after Labor Day in others (who have been out of school only since the end of June). As predicted, many districts are scrambling to hire teachers and school staff: I can't say it any better than this article, which states that ONE Florida county alone has 500 openings:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Industry experts say the problem is pretty simple, nobody wants to be a teacher anymore. For multiple reasons, it’s seen less and less like a viable, fulfilling, career option.

The regional director of Teach for America said – the solution is simple – take steps to make teaching an attractive career once again.

I plan to keep this thread updated with teacher shortages around the nation and how districts are attempting to deal with the problem. Meanwhile, I'm sure it helps to highlight every hourly worker in a daycare who makes vile TikToks and screech about "Teacher groomers".

It seems we can't help but burn everything to the ground in 21st century America.

why would anyone teach in todays environment? parents are rabid and the admins are spineless..the minority is loud and proud (no gay reference) more the proud of the ignorance....book banning etc...

and yes look at the pay...and teachers having to pay for their own class supplies...the end of era of teachers teaching out of dedication and love of teaching...people say its okay for the low pay cause they only work 9 months a year....i swear i wish i could just punch those fools....

again a symptom of a county that doesnt value their children is the lack of free quality education...

I plan to keep this thread updated with teacher shortages around the nation and how districts are attempting to deal with the problem. Meanwhile, I'm sure it helps to highlight every hourly worker in a daycare who makes vile TikToks and screech about "Teacher groomers".

It seems we can't help but burn everything to the ground in 21st century America.

Wow, you mean that after years of the right wing DEMONIZING teachers, no one wants to sign up to be a teacher anymore.

Amazing!

In related news, water is wet.

why would anyone teach in todays environment? parents are rabid and the admins are spineless..the minority is loud and proud (no gay reference) more the proud of the ignorance....book banning etc...

and yes look at the pay...and teachers having to pay for their own class supplies...the end of era of teachers teaching out of dedication and love of teaching...people say its okay for the low pay cause they only work 9 months a year....i swear i wish i could just punch those fools....

again a symptom of a county that doesnt value their children is the lack of free quality education...

Three points to pull out here:

1. parents

Many parents and families are wonderful, but if you look around at our culture, you can see there are issues. My conservative brethren want to make out that teachers are the "bad guys" and parents are the "good guys" but that's too simplistic. Take a look at the video of those small children hitting cops and cursing in MN for reference--they haven't even been to school yet. That's parenting--or lack thereof.

2. admin

Gerry Brooks is a principal in KY who does great education satire. He just did one of a principal saying, "hey yeah, I know we admin don't back you up when it comes to parents, but to make up for it, we put some flavored coffee creamer in the lounge."

This is very close to what happens. These are the "perks" of my profession.

3. 9 months of work

I know precious few districts that are off from Memorial Day-Labor Day anymore. Private schools, maybe. We have a 10 week break, well short of three months. At any rate, our salary is based on a 185 day school year and then spread out through the year. We do not get paid "over the summer" for "not working" or whatever.

hree points to pull out here:

1. parents

Many parents and families are wonderful, but if you look around at our culture, you can see there are issues. My conservative brethren want to make out that teachers are the "bad guys" and parents are the "good guys" but that's too simplistic. Take a look at the video of those small children hitting cops and cursing in MN for reference--they haven't even been to school yet. That's parenting--or lack thereof.

Those kids in MN act like that because cops have made themselves the enemy. That's why they act like that.

Again, your side has spent decades demonizing liberal teachers and liberal teacher unions.

2. admin

Gerry Brooks is a principal in KY who does great education satire. He just did one of a principal saying, "hey yeah, I know we admin don't back you up when it comes to parents, but to make up for it, we put some flavored coffee creamer in the lounge."

This is very close to what happens. These are the "perks" of my profession.

Um, wow, how is that any different than any other job? If you piss off the customers, you won't have a job for long. Parents are ultimately the customer of your profession. Some of them are happy if they just have 6 hours of free day care. Others get rightfully pissed off if little Timmy comes home not knowing how to read.

3. 9 months of work

I know precious few districts that are off from Memorial Day-Labor Day anymore. Private schools, maybe. We have a 10 week break, well short of three months. At any rate, our salary is based on a 185 day school year and then spread out through the year. We do not get paid "over the summer" for "not working" or whatever.

So you get 3 months of paid vacation? That's kind of awesome. What are you bitching about again?

Here are the real problems in education that I see... which is why 50% of new teachers don't last 5 years. And yes, some of these thoughts will not be terribly liberal.

1) The Teacher Unions make it impossible to fire inept or bad teachers.
2) Too many resources are dedicated to "Special Ed"- which means they spend thousands of dollars accommodating Corky the retard while neglecting kids who are actually going to be part of the workforce some day.
3) Teaching to the test. We make these kids take too many damned tests, we teach to the test, and if it isn't on the test, they don't bother with it. So not surprising that these kids crash and burn when they get to college or a job.
4) Geographic/economic inequity - Because the affluent don't have to send their kids to the urban schools, they don't care about them. I remember a while back when it was revealed that a high bureaucrat at the CPS sent her kids to private schools because CPS Schools weren't very good. There was a big outcry... from people who also send THEIR kids to private schools.

(Full Disclosure- I went to a Catholic School that has given Chicago FOUR Mayors, including both Mayor Daleys. )

Those kids in MN act like that because cops have made themselves the enemy. That's why they act like that.

Again, your side has spent decades demonizing liberal teachers and liberal teacher unions.

Um, wow, how is that any different than any other job? If you piss off the customers, you won't have a job for long. Parents are ultimately the customer of your profession. Some of them are happy if they just have 6 hours of free day care. Others get rightfully pissed off if little Timmy comes home not knowing how to read.

So you get 3 months of paid vacation? That's kind of awesome. What are you bitching about again?

Here are the real problems in education that I see... which is why 50% of new teachers don't last 5 years. And yes, some of these thoughts will not be terribly liberal.

2) Too many resources are dedicated to "Special Ed"- which means they spend thousands of dollars accommodating Corky the retard while neglecting kids who are actually going to be part of the workforce some day.
3) Teaching to the test. We make these kids take too many damned tests, we teach to the test, and if it isn't on the test, they don't bother with it. So not surprising that these kids crash and burn when they get to college or a job.
4) Geographic/economic inequity - Because the affluent don't have to send their kids to the urban schools, they don't care about them. I remember a while back when it was revealed that a high bureaucrat at the CPS sent her kids to private schools because CPS Schools weren't very good. There was a big outcry... from people who also send THEIR kids to private schools.

(Full Disclosure- I went to a Catholic School that has given Chicago FOUR Mayors, including both Mayor Daleys. )
More ignorant assholery in the education forum. Seems some people just love to pontificate on things they don't know about.

Whose children are they? Who has the final word on curriculum? Unless you say "the parents", you're the problem.

My wife is a retired school teacher. She taught for 30 years.

She said there is no way in hell she would teach in the public schools nowadays. Most of her teacher friends feel the same way.

Teaching is a no win situation. Someone crybabies are always mad. All 3 of my kids had a great public school education. Their teachers taught with rigor despite the whiny crybabies who believe their children are entitled to everything. All the bs for a pittance salary. Only a loser wonders why nobody will do it anymore. Kind of like the so called labor shortage made up stuff. People just believe if there's a job opening somebody has to be doing it so they can have THEIR stuff THEY want. It no longer should work this way. Want a worker? Pay up.

It's hard to believe, but school starts in late July in some areas, early August in some, and as late as the week after Labor Day in others (who have been out of school only since the end of June). As predicted, many districts are scrambling to hire teachers and school staff: I can't say it any better than this article, which states that ONE Florida county alone has 500 openings:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Industry experts say the problem is pretty simple, nobody wants to be a teacher anymore. For multiple reasons, it’s seen less and less like a viable, fulfilling, career option.

The regional director of Teach for America said – the solution is simple – take steps to make teaching an attractive career once again.

School districts reap what they sow.

The union helped put forth the retirement pension. Without it she'd still have to teach. See how that works? Plus if some crazy parent(most). Decod s to give her a hard time the union provides a lawyer.

Forum List

Back