Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

Good point. Based on what happens to people once out of school (and even while in school) strongly suggests that they weren't equipped with the knowledge needed to thrive, and in many cases to even survive.

These videos of dunderheads not knowing what year the US was founded, the Civil War, etc--it's red meat for public school hating conservatives but not much more. It proves that there are SOME bad teachers/schools out there, and a lot more students who will completely tune out of what we're teaching if it's not of interest. It's also blatantly obvious that these outfits might get 10 young adults who give the right answer but only feature the one who gives the hilariously wrong answer.

Knowing historical dates is not APPLIED knowledge and it rarely gets you a job. I am not saying history isn't important. But why is it MORE important than vocational education or the arts for students who are talented in those areas?

WHO SAID? The ancient Greeks certainly didn't think so. Read Plato's The Republic.

Lisa558

So you selected your career based on your interests and talents, but you expect even secondary students to memorize historical facts to the exclusion of learning what's critical to THEIR interests and talents--for their future.

Got it.

Yep. I got it.

Secondary students need to learn the basic academic subjects and THAT takes precedence over their interests at this stage, yes. They can take lessons after school, or enroll in community college or regular college after high school for their interests.

I had the same requirements in high school as everyone - science, history, math, English, etc. I had NO special classes for my interests. I majored in that in college, excelled, and went on to have a successful career.

Besides, the proposal that WW had - a summer session for students to take either remedial classes if they fell behind, or their special interest classes - art, music, etc, - if they have kept up with their basic academic education during the regular sessions Is a great idea.

And you didn’t answer what subject you teach - is it music?

I will say that rote memorization of historical dates is a waste of time. We have technology to use for such things like that which are seldom used or needed. History shouldn't receive the same emphasis as vocational stuff or the arts unless a kid wants to study it. Math and science is where kids are heading. Jobs that don't pay big are slowly but surely more and more unattractive and less kids are going into them. Yoiung people know america is about making as much $ as you can. My granddaughter and her husband, 26 and 28 years old, are making about $220 k combined. They have chosen not to have kids and focus on further education to make a lot more money. That's their #1 goal. I can't say I find fault in their decision.

Besides, the proposal that WW had - a summer session for students to take either remedial classes if they fell behind, or their special interest classes - art, music, etc, - if they have kept up with their basic academic education during the regular sessions Is a great idea.

That is not what WW proposed. What WW suggested was to expand teacher employment to full year, provide, 3 approximately equal semester per year (2 primary and 1 secondary). The teachers and students were then divided into 3 cohorts based on balance and then put on different rotations.

I did not mean to imply that all electives must fall into the secondary rotation. During all rotations music, art, PE, etc. would be available, the point being that remedial time would be built into the rotation as part of a feedback loop to address the needs of students with academic issues.

So to say that it's just adding summer school and then putting all electives there is a gross mis-statement of the intent.

WW

That is not what WW proposed. What WW suggested was to expand teacher employment to full year, provide, 3 approximately equal semester per year (2 primary and 1 secondary). The teachers and students were then divided into 3 cohorts based on balance and then put on different rotations.

I did not mean to imply that all electives must fall into the secondary rotation. During all rotations music, art, PE, etc. would be available, the point being that remedial time would be built into the rotation as part of a feedback loop to address the needs of students with academic issues.

So to say that it's just adding summer school and then putting all electives there is a gross mis-statement of the intent.

WW
Thanks for the clarification on your proposal.

i think given how dismally educated our students are - we have a 13% proficiency rate in math and around 25% in English in the nearby high school - that all electives should be available only during the secondary session, and only to those who demonstrate basic proficiency in math and English. These are core skills, and learning to think abstractly to solve problems and how to communicate effectively are needed to achieve even a modicum of success in the real world.

Anyone, that’s just my opinion. A kid who cannot write a basic sentence needs to focus on THAT first - not violin or piano. The cold, hard truth is that most of the kids hoping to make a career of music will not be able to do so, and they will need basic skills to fall back on.

P.S. I got a C in math one year. Horrors. My parents had me drop piano lessons so I could devote more time to bringing up my grade, which I did. The following year, i picked back up with piano. Same concept.

i think given how dismally educated our students are - we have a 13% proficiency rate in math and around 25% in English in the nearby high school - that all electives should be available only during the secondary session, and only to those who demonstrate basic proficiency in math and English. These are core skills, and learning to think abstractly to solve problems and how to communicate effectively are needed to achieve even a modicum of success in the real world.

Anyone, that’s just my opinion. A kid who cannot write a basic sentence needs to focus on THAT first - not violin or piano. The cold, hard truth is that most of the kids hoping to make a career of music will not be able to do so, and they will need basic skills to fall back on.

P.S. I got a C in math one year. Horrors. My parents had me drop piano lessons so I could devote more time to bringing up my grade, which I did. The following year, i picked back up with piano. Same concept.
So what?

I’ve worked with kids on the spectrum
Non verbal preschoolers
High school boys with anger management issues

ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL

Secondary students need to learn the basic academic subjects and THAT takes precedence over their interests at this stage, yes. They can take lessons after school, or enroll in community college or regular college after high school for their interests.

I had the same requirements in high school as everyone - science, history, math, English, etc. I had NO special classes for my interests. I majored in that in college, excelled, and went on to have a successful career.

And you didn’t answer what subject you teach - is it music?

I will just say this. There's a reason your frankly ignorant opinion is in the vast minority. Thank God for that.

I will say that rote memorization of historical dates is a waste of time. We have technology to use for such things like that which are seldom used or needed. History shouldn't receive the same emphasis as vocational stuff or the arts unless a kid wants to study it. Math and science is where kids are heading. Jobs that don't pay big are slowly but surely more and more unattractive and less kids are going into them. Yoiung people know america is about making as much $ as you can. My granddaughter and her husband, 26 and 28 years old, are making about $220 k combined. They have chosen not to have kids and focus on further education to make a lot more money. That's their #1 goal. I can't say I find fault in their decision.
I feel sorry for you

WW

Okay thanks for the clarification. I didn't understand that either. So you're talking trimesters. Our district did that for a time and it was frankly not workable. Quickly reverted back to semesters.

Learning to think abstractly
Solve problems
Communicate effectively

Oh yeah. The arts, drama, theater, music, dance, visual arts, performing--have nothing to say about any of that. Nope.

You really have a thing with extrapolating your own experience on the whole. It happened to you; you did it, so this is how it should be for everyone.

Learning to think abstractly
Solve problems
Communicate effectively

Oh yeah. The arts, drama, theater, music, dance, visual arts, performing--have nothing to say about any of that. Nope.

You really have a thing with extrapolating your own experience on the whole. It happened to you; you did it, so this is how it should be for everyone.
Those 3 things Sue...Bingo!!!!

Forum List

Back