Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

And it often takes most of your money to 'look the part' of a corporate executive.
That’s true. I was in my 20s, just starting out with a salary of $42,000 (2022 dollars), for year-round work and 2 weeks of vacation, and I was expected to show up in three-piece suits (this was the 80s), with good shoes. The dry-cleaning bills and the constant purchase of nylons was a fortune. Even the parking lot was $35 a month - about $100 today. Those were hefty prices for a starting salary, but I didn’t complain - I was taught by my parents that new grads have to go through “salad days” in the beginning.

That’s true. I was in my 20s, just starting out with a salary of $42,000 (2022 dollars), for year-round work and 2 weeks of vacation, and I was expected to show up in three-piece suits (this was the 80s), with good shoes. The dry-cleaning bills and the constant purchase of nylons was a fortune. Even the parking lot was $35 a month - about $100 today. Those were hefty prices for a starting salary, but I didn’t complain - I was taught by my parents that new grads have to go through “salad days” in the beginning.
I am sorry that you and your parents were such idiots then. I thought slavery was done away with in the 1860s.

Lisa, lying is not very becoming.

We were discussing WW's plan for working year round. Try to stay with the topic.

I worked for AT&T. I was amazed at how much time off I had after leaving the military.
What’s lying? You just made the arrogant and wrong assumption that only teachers work such hard hours and thus need 13 weeks off every year. I was showing how corporate workers put in tons of hours and work the entire year.

And accusing people of lying is not very becoming.

Of course I have. I had a job in corporate America. It was round the clock work, and it was expected. I remember one Friday afternoon my boss said to me, “you have had an especially demanding week. Go ahead and take Sunday off between noon and 6.” Of course, it was expected I’d put in some hours Sunday morning, and then again Sunday night, but I remember walking around the mall Sunday afternoon and feeling so free.

AND we didn’t have three weeks off during the year and then ANOTHER 10 weeks off every summer.

You think teachers have it so much worse than people working for corporations, and you’re wrong.

So corporate america took advantage of you. Work is detrimental to ones health and mental health when it's round the clock. Ones job should be a very small part of who they are.

I am sorry that you and your parents were such idiots then. I thought slavery was done away with in the 1860s.
Damn, you‘re a nasty piece of work.

Both parents were highly educated. The difference was they didn’t raise me with a sense of entitlement. They raised me with the idea that when you first start out, times are tough. But if you do great work and put in the time and effort, you advance and move forward.

Finally, about slavery: you were the one CLAIMING teachers work 16 hours a day. The ones I know are home by 4, go out to dinner o r just watch TV, and spend weekends away at ski resorts or mountains.

So corporate america took advantage of you. Work is detrimental to ones health and mental health when it's round the clock. Ones job should be a very small part of who they are.
No, it didn’t. I put in the time, and within five years I have advanced to the point I bought my first home - a lovely place! - and was enjoying a great life.

What’s lying? You just made the arrogant and wrong assumption that only teachers work such hard hours and thus need 13 weeks off every year. I was showing how corporate workers put in tons of hours and work the entire year.

And accusing people of lying is not very becoming.

Pardon me, but you are lying again!

Corporate workers don't have to work like they did in the 1980s. No one would put up with slavery. You are simply lying to prove your pathetic point.

In the early 80s I worked in a grocery store while attending college. They paid us about 30 cents more than minimum wage and then took that because we were required to join the union. That doesn't happen today either!

Stop lying and I won't call you out for it, because we all know it is true.

Damn, you‘re a nasty piece of work.

Both parents were highly educated. The difference was they didn’t raise me with a sense of entitlement. They raised me with the idea that when you first start out, times are tough. But if you do great work and put in the time and effort, you advance and move forward.

Finally, about slavery: you were the one CLAIMING teachers work 16 hours a day. The ones I know are home by 4, go out to dinner o r just watch TV, and spend weekends away at ski resorts or mountains.
Lisa, why are you lying again? It it pathological?

God laid out the formula for success.

Six days* shall you labor (not five). :biggrin:

* Or the equivalent.

And,

"Prepare thy work without, and make it fit for thyself in the field; and afterwards build thine house."

Pardon me, but you are lying again!

Corporate workers don't have to work like they did in the 1980s. No one would put up with slavery. You are simply lying to prove your pathetic point.

In the early 80s I worked in a grocery store while attending college. They paid us about 30 cents more than minimum wage and then took that because we were required to join the union. That doesn't happen today either!

Stop lying and I won't call you out for it, because we all know it is true.
I’m not lying, you nasty POS.

YOU are the one who is lying…..”waaaaa…..teachers have to slave away 16 hours a day, and all weekend too and that’s why we only work 75% of the year and need summers off! The corporate workers have it easy!” Who do you think is falling for that?

God laid out the formula for success.

Six days* shall you labor (not five). :biggrin:

* Or the equivalent.

And,

"Prepare thy work without, and make it fit for thyself in the field; and afterwards build thine house."
You notice how nasty libs just say “liar!” when they can’t argue a point?

I’m not lying, you nasty POS.

YOU are the one who is lying…..”waaaaa…..teachers have to slave away 16 hours a day, and all weekend too and that’s why we only work 75% of the year and need summers off! The corporate workers have it easy!” Who do you think is falling for that?

In case anyone is counting, there are 2 more lies for you!

I tell you who believes that! Corporate workers who KNOW you are lying!

I spent 4 years working corporate after I left teaching. We were banned from working more than 40 hours a week, even while I was on salary.

Me thinketh they protesteth too mucheth.
Yes, they’re very defensive. I would be too if I looked around and every professional field involved year-round work (not just professionals - support staff also have to work through the summer), and I was bitching about my low salary - knowing I had 13 weeks of vacation a year.

The answer is so obvious: you want pay more commensurate with full-time work? Then work full time!

How will increasing the number of teachers help if they will not fit in the school built in the 1920s? (Yes, I taught in one!)

We have this thing called substitutes of which there are never enough and you might get someone with an English literature degree to teach your AP calculus class! My experience shows not much educating goes on if the teacher is not there.

I talked about the increased compensation. My major difficulty with your plan is that it was tried 30 years ago, and I hate being the bearer of bad news, but it failed miserably and was abandoned. Your idea is NOT new.

Did you know that tracking students without the parent's permission is illegal? I didn't think so.

If I hear the words "data driven" in regards to one more time, I think I will commit a homicide! What do you think is the major cause of increased teacher workload, other than the hours and hours spent collecting and analyzing that data? Most of the time it is very easy to look at little Johnny's grades and determine that he's a dumbass in need of an ass-beating for wasting his and your time! Fail him, and the school board directs that he be socially promoted along with all other failures.

#1 This isn't a band-aid thought process, it's reexamining how we view education in the long haul. It would take decades. And yes, just like prisons - the voters would not want to fund it because it means: (A) smaller classes, (B) more teachers, (C) more school infrastructure, and (D) higher teacher salaries..

#2 No, my plan wasn't tried 30 years ago. You yourself said it was a band-aid measure (my words not yours) to address "overcrowding and exploding class sizes" (your words not mine). My thoughts are about reshaping how we fundamentally view education in this country.

#3 Evaluating student performance and then providing resources to bring them up to defined achievements standards IS NOT illegal. Dude, I work for a school system, we already track performance and attempt to provide additional resources (often in the form of after school tutoring programs which associated "late bus" transportation). Try blowing that smoke elsewhere.

#4 Half the time, IMHO, it isn't Johnny that needs his ass beaten, it's Johnny's parents that think their little brat can do no wrong.

#5 Oh and "Data driven" - there you go. LOL.

WW

Last edited:
In case anyone is counting, there are 2 more lies for you!

I tell you who believes that! Corporate workers who KNOW you are lying!

I spent 4 years working corporate after I left teaching. We were banned from working more than 40 hours a week, even while I was on salary.
Talk about liars!

So that’s YOU. NOBODY in corporate America I ever knew worked so little. In fact, people used to joke when we saw someone heading out at 5 pm: “only working a half-day today?”

Talk about liars!

So that’s YOU. NOBODY in corporate America I ever knew worked so little. In fact, people used to joke when we saw someone heading out at 5 pm: “only working a half-day today?”
True. Executives and managers don't punch a time clock.

I worked as a substitute teacher

Taught lots of kids
From preschool to high school

New Topics

Forum List

Back