Hello from the upper north east

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. My name is Cyndi and I come from the land of snow and moose. I consider myself a deplorable conservative, with some liberal points of view. Love to talk politics and have fun while doing it. greetings
Welcome, Cyndi! Glad to have you! You a Mainer? Me, too.
Have a donut

View attachment 329935
You're from Maine?
I was there yesterday.
Went to Brunswick to pick up a dealer swap for a customer.
Yeah, but from way deeper in. It's a five hour drive just to get OUT of here.

Did you inherit money? it’s pretty obvious you don’t work
we don't work in maine. we cut trees and eat fiddle heads
I have fiddleheads all the time.. so if you don’t work how do you pay your rent?
Dont have a rent.
Dont have a rent.

I also am an orphan.
You are? Do you need to be adopted! I'll do it. Can you pile wood?

no

Can you put up curtain rails?

Hello everyone. My name is Cyndi and I come from the land of snow and moose. I consider myself a deplorable conservative, with some liberal points of view. Love to talk politics and have fun while doing it. greetings
Welcome, Cyndi! Glad to have you! You a Mainer? Me, too.
Have a donut

View attachment 329935
You're from Maine?
I was there yesterday.
Went to Brunswick to pick up a dealer swap for a customer.
Yeah, but from way deeper in. It's a five hour drive just to get OUT of here.

Did you inherit money? it’s pretty obvious you don’t work
we don't work in maine. we cut trees and eat fiddle heads
I have fiddleheads all the time.. so if you don’t work how do you pay your rent?
Dont have a rent.
Dont have a rent.

I also am an orphan.
You are? Do you need to be adopted! I'll do it. Can you pile wood?

no

Can you put up curtain rails?
Oh? so you want to adopt him too eh? LOLOL Hi!

...Where does everyone hang out and talk here. In what section? It's going to take me awhile to find my way around.
Jist jump in wheres ya can an hang on.
1588353680562.png

She's a real Mainer!

Three out of four correct and the fourth one only missed because of my typo.

The question should have read: "double whammy".

It was a speed trap system used just outside Bangor. Two rubber hoses across the road to measure speed and triger a license plate camera. Crude but effective. Haven't seen one since the 1970s on the occasional drive up to St. Andrews-by-The-Sea.

Old time Mainers have a wonderfully unique ethic! One Sunday just outside Calais I had a fan belt break on an MGA. Limped to a roadside gas station which was open with one real oldtimer tending the shop. Looked for any sort of belt I could adapt. He allowed that they were the dealers for MG because some outsider had wanted to buy one once and they got one for him, becoming a "dealer" along the way. They had a few parts in a box they'd never opened. He was willing to open it and they had exactly the belt I needed.

But he wouldn't sell it to me because he didn't know the price. But his son would be back on Tuesday and he'd sell it to me then.

At that time those belts were worth about $11 so I offered him $20. He refused. I offered him $50 and again he refused - said he couldn't take advantage like that. We finally settled on $25 and he wanted my mailing address so he could send me a refund when he knew the price.

Deal.

About two weeks later I got an envelope in the mail with one $5 bill, four $1 bills, and 98 cents in loose change. Plus a detailed statement that included the price of the belt, the cost of the envelope and the cost of the stamp.

And that was Maine back then......

It is still the same. Good post. I am a displaced New Yorker. I come from out on long island. I don't have the Maine accent at all. I lived here for years. People laugh and still to this day, tease me about my ny accent. CAWFEE? I traded my spike heels for a pair of sheet boots. It's ok? because I would never go back to NY . The only thing I can't take is the weather. IT'S BRUTAL! I remember going back to visit family. My cousin picked me up. we hailed a cab in downtown Manhatten. I walked out on the street to hail a cab? I had this caarp in my mouth? I asked my cousin what the heck is that? she said DIRT! OMG

She's a real Mainer!

Three out of four correct and the fourth one only missed because of my typo.

The question should have read: "double whammy".

It was a speed trap system used just outside Bangor. Two rubber hoses across the road to measure speed and triger a license plate camera. Crude but effective. Haven't seen one since the 1970s on the occasional drive up to St. Andrews-by-The-Sea.

Old time Mainers have a wonderfully unique ethic! One Sunday just outside Calais I had a fan belt break on an MGA. Limped to a roadside gas station which was open with one real oldtimer tending the shop. Looked for any sort of belt I could adapt. He allowed that they were the dealers for MG because some outsider had wanted to buy one once and they got one for him, becoming a "dealer" along the way. They had a few parts in a box they'd never opened. He was willing to open it and they had exactly the belt I needed.

But he wouldn't sell it to me because he didn't know the price. But his son would be back on Tuesday and he'd sell it to me then.

At that time those belts were worth about $11 so I offered him $20. He refused. I offered him $50 and again he refused - said he couldn't take advantage like that. We finally settled on $25 and he wanted my mailing address so he could send me a refund when he knew the price.

Deal.

About two weeks later I got an envelope in the mail with one $5 bill, four $1 bills, and 98 cents in loose change. Plus a detailed statement that included the price of the belt, the cost of the envelope and the cost of the stamp.

And that was Maine back then......
I was on the Mass Pike headed to New York when suddenly I was hearing this whump whump whump, pretty steady. Car was still going fine. I stopped and looked under, over, around, even tightened the screws on my license plate. Couldn't find anything that seemed loose. Started back up and it began again. Louder. So I'm in God Knows Where, Massachusetts and I pull off at the next exit and drive in the direction of the gas arrow, hoping for a mechanic. And I found this little garage, one gas tank and one bay, one guy in the "office." I told him what was happening. He looked over the car, couldn't see anything, and then said "You're from ------. So am I" (He saw my oil change sticker with the garage name on it.) An honest to God Mainer, not just a Mainer but one from home!

He closed the shop and jumped in the car and I drove it around so he could hear the whump. Less whumping going 20 or 30 mph, a lot more going faster. No noise when it was at the traffic light. He finally told me to STOP, jumped out and went to the windshield, pulled up the rubber gasket that had gotten loose. Back at the shop he taped it down with duck tape and refused to take a dime even though it had taken a good fifteen-twenty minutes of his time.

Mainers help folks out.

Cyndi :)

FYI

Our mutual friend is in full drunken throttle, on the Badlands.
He should be hitting the sack soon. It's almost 6 here. Mindful what time is it where you are?

11.45 am.

Off to the farmers market shortly, to join the other social distancers, drink take-out coffee, and find somewhere to sit. Anywhere will do; window sills, doorways.....They’ve banned benches, steps in front of buildings.
I’ve bought myself one of those Perspex face masks, like Princess Diana wore, when she was doing land mines. I thought it looked rather cool.

SYL.

Heya Cyndi! You sound terrific and I WELCOME you to the board of others very similar! It is a fun place to be and the Mods are smart and fair. I hope you have a great time here. :wine:

Welcome Cyndy. Was a Mainer 2000-2010 Moosies in my back yard all the time. Up by Moosehead lake KY now, less snow, less cold, no blackfles but no fiddleheads!

wooooo . Slow down you guys for a second. I have to get answer to something mm said. When I reply? do I hit the post reply button? Or type under the quote word?
Reply works best, clean up the crap with a quote on each side.
I actually do know everyone in Monson.. from Moosehead! you should see what has happened to the town. worked at the Wagon Wheel for years. Probably served you a plate of fried fish;)

Looks like you fit right in!

For easy chichat with no politics, bickering, insults, etc....visit the USMB Coffee Shope. It's located in The Lounge. That thread is celebrating 10 year anniversary! Which means its a LONG assed thread.

Somewhere around here is a thread with our pics posted. I think I called it "Don't be shy, post a pic of yourself" or some such wording. Badlands is more of the local honkytonk with fisticuffs and whatnot. Down DOWN stairs is the Flame Zone. They are...lets just say "different". I don't post down there any more, and asked staff to ban me permanently from there because I have always been a fighter but that place brought out the really REALLY bad parts of me I don't wish to be any more. And it cost me a few friendships to boot. But, overall, when push comes to shove, most are good folks but would die before showing it. :D

Anyway....welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back