Zone1 Hello from the former Grand-Duchy of Baden in South-West-Germany

Btw:

I was born in the country of the Bocksbeutel, a very special bottle for wine:

Within the European Union, the Bocksbeutel enjoys the status of a protected bottle shape.[1] The regulations describe the Bocksbeutel as a short-necked glass bottle, pot-bellied but flattened in shape, with the base and the cross-section of the bottle at the point of greatest convexity ellipsoidal in shape. The ratio between the long and short axes of the ellipsoidal cross-section is approximately 2:1, and the ratio of the height of the convex body to the cylindrical neck of the bottle is approximately 2.5:1.

The Bocksbeutel may be used for the following wines:

My ex-mother-in-law (Ellie) is my only mom. She's 90 now and from Deggendorf. My ex-pa-in-law (Gene) is my only dad. He's 93 and grew up in NE Philly. Joined the army during the war and met Ellie at a church service where she offered to mend a hole in his jacket. Four kids and many grandkids later.. still kicking, but mostly while sleeping. Beer stein collectors. Ellie also got hooked on Hummel figurines for decades and she still smokes like half a pack a day. I fondly recall potato dumplings, toasty feather beds, double pinochle, pies, and pastries :adoreheart:

How can I tell when a Bot is posting?
Well when they are posting saying the republicans are to blame for everything and refuse to address the facts of the corruption of Dems,it’s usually a bot.there have been a lot of them thst have emerged out of nowhere recently.welcome aboard,

Frankonian Bocksbeutel ? - eeek, yuck - just horrible - tastes like herb Champagne left warm without bubbles. 😂
Sorry, here I do not understand you.
The Bocksbeutel is just a bottle shape.
And usually only the quality wines of any wine are put in them.

It is the wine, that makes the taste, not the bottle.
Maybe once you had one that you did not like, and now you think they are all the same?

A Bocksbeutel has NOTHING to do with Champagne.
And if the wine is warm, it is your fault if you did not cool it, not the fault of the poor innocent bottle. :)

-------------

Where and when and why did you try a wine in a Bocksbeutel?

Frankonian Bocksbeutel ? - eeek, yuck - just horrible

Btw: Baden-Baden is the only place outside Franconia that is allowed to use Bocksbeutel bottles. :)
We are proud of it.
And in all my life I never had a Bocksbeutel with bad wine in it. :)

Sorry, here I do not understand you.
The Bocksbeutel is just a bottle shape.
And usually only the quality wines of any wine are put in them.

It is the wine, that makes the taste, not the bottle.
Maybe once you had one that you did not like, and now you think they are all the same?

A Bocksbeutel has NOTHING to do with Champagne.
And if the wine is warm, it is your fault if you did not cool it, not the fault of the poor innocent bottle. :)

-------------

Where and when and why did you try a wine in a Bocksbeutel?
Correct - the Bocksbeutel is just a designation for a bottle-shape - but in Frankonia (these bottles are filled with Frankonian wine). And personally I find Frankonian wine to be awful as I described; tastes like warm, herb, Champagne without bubbles. (Since that wine is not served cold or at a lower temperature - maybe due to the grapes (Silvaner) they use).
But hey - everyone to his own liking. :)

BTW; parts of my family have owned vineyards and been winemakers since the 15th century. - but it ain't running in my veins ;)

Last edited:
Hello from the former Grand-Duchy of Baden in South-West-Germany! :)

That is the long title.

Or: Hello from a place between the Black Forest and the River Rhine!

Here it is 26 min after 10 in the evening.

So I say also: Good night! :)
That's where my Mom's side of the family is from. We have a great neighborhood here called Over the Rhine.

This is good,
iu

Correct - the Bocksbeutel is just a designation for a bottle-shape - but in Frankonia (these bottles are filled with Frankonian wine). And personally I find Frankonian wine to be awful as I described; tastes like warm, herb, Champagne without bubbles. (Since that wine is not served cold or at a lower temperature - maybe due to the grapes (Silvaner) they use).

I have already thought that this might be the case :)
And I can agree with you now - and I do not like Franconian wine either!

We in Baden-Baden are not Franconians, we are "Mittelbadener" = Central Badener.
And our wine is different - and miles better.
In case you come here, may I then invite you to a pleasant Riesling or Gewürztraminer or or Weißburgunder or Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir) from Mittelbaden (Ortenau)? :)

So that you can see and taste the difference! :)

One of the historic treasures of Cincinnati, Mecklenburg Restaurant and Bier Garten was established in 1865. Priding ourselves on our German heritage, Mecklenburg Gardens stays true to its roots providing delectable German cuisine along with traditional German lagers, dunkels, hefeweizen, and pilsners on tap. Come on in, enjoy a round in our Black Forest bar or sit under the grape vines in the garden, and then stay for a plate of our chef's delicious fare!
1809 Berliner Weisse
Freising, Germany (5.0%)
$9
Aecht Schlenkerla Märzen
Bamburg, Germany (5.1%)
$7
Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Aying, Germany (6.7%)
$4
Krombacher Dark Schwarzbier
Krombach, Germany (4.7%)
$5
Riegele Privat Lager
Augsburg, Germany (5.2%)
$4
St. Pauli Girl Lager
Bremen, Germany (5.0%)
$5
Weihenstephan Hefeweizen
Munich, Germany (5.4%)
$7
Weihenstephan Korbinian Doppelbock
Munich, Germany (7.4%)
$5
Weihenstephan Vitus Weizenbock
Munich, Germany (7.7%)
$7
Weihenstephan Kristall Wheat
Munich, Germany (5.4%)

We in Baden-Baden are not Franconians, we are "Mittelbadener" = Central Badener.
Off course not - honestly who want's to be a Franke? upps.. need to be careful - there are quite a number of Frankonian GI wives in the States :D
In case you come here, may I then invite you to a pleasant Riesling or Gewürztraminer or or Weißburgunder or Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir) from Mittelbaden (Ortenau)? :)
Sure will - thanks, I never refuse a chance for a Riesling :)

Baden may have been forcefully united with Württemberg, so that there is no administrative unit called Baden any more.

But Baden has survived in the hearts of the people, and also in the field of wine.
There is no such think as Baden-Württemberg wine - there is still Baden wine and Würrtemberg wine.

Here you can see Baden, as it once was. :)

As German Americans named so many parts of the USA, as an example there are probably 25 cities/towns named Berlin, after areas of Germany here is a pretty nice one West Baden resort in Indiana.
1685706973277.jpeg

1685707005749.jpeg

images

960x0.jpg

When it opened for business on September 15, 1902, the newly constructed West Baden Springs Hotel in southern Indiana was hailed as the Eighth Wonder of the World.

Indeed, it is hard to overstate the drama of looking down into the atrium from one of the rooms encircling the vast space. The enormous 200-foot dome is part of an ambitious rebuilding project by hotel owner Lee Wiley Sinclair after a fire destroyed the previous hotel building in 1901. In business since the mid-19th century, the hotel was established when travelers came to ‘take the waters’ at the mineral springs of the area; the community next to French Lick was named West Baden after Germany’s Wiesbaden, or Baden-Baden, another spa town known for its mineral springs.......................................

maybe due to the grapes (Silvaner) they use).
Again I agree. "Silvaner" maybe a fine romantic name, but I find the Silvaner wine rather boring.
parts of my family have owned vineyards and been winemakers since the 15th century.
Same here: All my ancestors were wine-growers with small vine-yards.
No mass production. :)

Forum List

Back