Zone1 Hello from the former Grand-Duchy of Baden in South-West-Germany

As we talked about wine, I have just made this poll:

Hello from the former Grand-Duchy of Baden in South-West-Germany! :)

That is the long title.

Or: Hello from a place between the Black Forest and the River Rhine!

Here it is 26 min after 10 in the evening.

So I say also: Good night! :)
Welcome to USMB, Zebra. I have been to the Black Forest, traveled on the Rhine, and think you have a fabulously beautiful country with buildings built by world class architects, sculptors, and artists since time began. The people from the Pfaff Sewing Machine Company welcomed us to see the sights and beauties of their country, and I love the memories of going places in your beautiful Germany. They even provided us with a side trip to their neighbors in the Netherlands since it was spring and the tulips were so pretty there. It meant a lot to me because my Grandfather's family were Dutch, and I felt a deep love for the two countries when there. They rewarded us with the trip because we sold their sewing machines in my quilt store, and I loved the excellent quality of craftsmanship and innovation of the German workers in Karlsruhe and Kaiserslauten, where home sewing machines and professional factory machines are made in a facility in each of those towns where we were allowed to review next year's machine innovations and models. And I'll never forget the trip they gave us going up and down the Rhine River, the bus trip to Neuschwanstein Castle in the German Alps, and the cheerful night out in Frankfurt's Beer Garden, many long years ago. But the colors and costumes of the people in native dress were so beautiful. It was so much pleasure to see the sights of Germany for a week. What a place. :thup:

Hope you enjoy the boards here at USMB. Below is a taste of Texas Hill Country in early spring:
cd2932579b2386c71c83714634bb8a29997e3b48.jpeg

Welcome to USMB, Zebra. I have been to the Black Forest, traveled on the Rhine, and think you have a fabulously beautiful country with buildings built by world class architects, sculptors, and artists since time began. The people from the Pfaff Sewing Machine Company welcomed us to see the sights and beauties of their country, and I love the memories of going places in your beautiful Germany. They even provided us with a side trip to their neighbors in the Netherlands since it was spring and the tulips were so pretty there. It meant a lot to me because my Grandfather's family were Dutch, and I felt a deep love for the two countries when there. They rewarded us with the trip because we sold their sewing machines in my quilt store, and I loved the excellent quality of craftsmanship and innovation of the German workers in Karlsruhe and Kaiserslauten, where home sewing machines and professional factory machines are made in a facility in each of those towns where we were allowed to review next year's machine innovations and models. And I'll never forget the trip they gave us going up and down the Rhine River, the bus trip to Neuschwanstein Castle in the German Alps, and the cheerful night out in Frankfurt's Beer Garden, many long years ago. But the colors and costumes of the people in native dress were so beautiful. It was so much pleasure to see the sights of Germany for a week. What a place. :thup:

Hope you enjoy the boards here at USMB. Below is a taste of Texas Hill Country in early spring:

Thank you very much for your kind welcome, beautress! :)
I am glad to hear that you liked your time in Germany. :)

And Pfaff Sewing Machines are also well known to me. :)

@ all

Good morning! :)

Thank you for your friendly welcomes! :)

And I am glad that you are interested in my home region, Baden.
So am I!
And I will be glad to tell you more about it later. :)

My wife is from Heidenheim an der Brenz. My son was born there too. I was stationed in Germany for 8 years and met my wife in Munich in 1959.

Note: Heidenheim FC 1846 is now in the Bundesliga.

Last edited:
My wife is from Heidenheim an der Brenz. My son was born there too. I was stationed in Germany for 8 years and met my wife in Munich in 1959.

Note: Heidenheim FC 1846 is now in the Bundesliga.
Good morning! :)

I know that Heidenheim has HDH as a car number plate.

Hossfly, did you like your time in Bavaria?

I live in the American military zone further north.

Heidenheim is in Baden-Württemberg.

I love southern Germany and I would live there if I could. In Heidenheim, my MIL was a student of Erwin Rommel's parents. My FIL was a co-worker of Georg Elser who planted the bomb meant for Hitler in Munich. My wife went to Georg Elser Schule in Schnaitheim as did my son and daughter while I was in Vietnam. Now, my SIL lives near Rommel's home in Ulm. His valet was so infatuated with my wife that he showed us every room in the house, something he hardly ever did.

Is that German or French right now?
I live on the German side of the Valley of the Upper Rhine :)
We have always been German.
It is the originally German Alsace, that was taken by France over the years.
The local dialect in the Alsace is the same dialect that I speak - the same dialect on both sides of the River Rhine. :)

I live on the German side of the Valley of the Upper Rhine :)
We have always been German.
It is the originally German Alsace, that was taken by France over the years.
The local dialect in the Alsace is the same dialect that I speak - the same dialect on both sides of the River Rhine. :)
Heidenheimers speak the schwäbischer Dialekt.

1685821358470.png

Texas hill country is very German.

Here I would like to say something about Alemannisch.

Alemannisch is spoken in:

Alsace in France
in German-speaking Switzerland
in Liechtenstein
in Vorarlberg in Austria
in the Westen part of Bavaria
and in the Southern part of Baden-Württemberg - both.
In Württemberg it is called Swabian
In Baden it is just called "alemannisch".

Forum List

Back