GOP working on legislation to strip Twitter of federal liability protections

Twitter does not have the right to censor political posts simply because it disagrees with the content.
I think we can all agree with that. This isn't a matter of disagreement. It's a matter of fact checking..............as in Trump's tweet contained a demonstrable lie.

Yeah?

Here is twitters response:

"Trump makes unsubstantiated claim that mail-in ballots will lead to voter fraud
On Tuesday, President Trump made a series of claims about potential voter fraud after California Governor Gavin Newsom announced an effort to expand mail-in voting in California during the COVID-19 pandemic. These claims are unsubstantiated, according to CNN, Washington Post and others. Experts say mail-in ballots are very rarely linked to voter fraud."

Their very first sentence is a lie. There have been over 20 case of elections being overturned due to mail in voting fraud since 1993. I'm not posting a fucking link either. Go look it up. It's all over the place. There is plenty of substantiating evidence.

So now we have to fact check Twitter's fact check. And they used CNN and WAPO as sources. YCMTSU. The most biased major media sites. What a crock of shit.

You're very much wrong.

You have nothing huh Hutch? Does Starsky have anything? Just a thumbs down. Got it.

Nothing
You have nothing huh Hutch? Does Starsky have anything? Just a thumbs down. Got it.

Nothing
What more is required?
You disagreed with my post but provided not information on why my post displeased you. Do you have something to offer? If not - fuck off.
You disagreed with my post but provided not information on why my post displeased you. Do you have something to offer? If not - fuck off.
I'm not required to respond, cupcake.
Like I said - You have nothing. My post is only full of truth on the matter. There is no misleading or untruthful information made by me. So you thumbs down is meaningless. Empty, Void, Empty set, Vacuous...
Like I said - You have nothing. My post is only full of truth on the matter. There is no misleading or untruthful information made by me. So you thumbs down is meaningless. Empty, Void, Empty set, Vacuous...
I offered nothing, dope.

I suppose the First Amendment only limits The Congress to obey the First Amendment, and once again Donald Trump believes he is above the law, even when that law it not statutory, but number one in the Bill of Rights. What next, locking up those who criticize him with no regards to the 4th, 5th and 6th articles in the Bill of Rights?
So when the media spreads lies about him it's okay, but it's not okay for him to go after them?

Has the media been saying Trump was born in Kenya?

I've said this several times before, but I will say it again.

A lot of you people need to go out and buy a dictionary, because apparently you don't know what the word "censor" means. Let me help you out.........................

censor
[ sen-ser ]

SEE SYNONYMS FOR censor ON THESAURUS.COM
noun
1. an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds.
2. any person who supervises the manners or morality of others.
an adverse critic; faultfinder.
3. (in the ancient Roman republic) either of two officials who kept the register or census of the citizens, awarded public contracts, and supervised manners and morals.

verb (used with object)
4. to examine and act upon as a censor.
5. to delete (a word or passage of text) in one's capacity as a censor.

As you can clearly see from the definition, in order to censor someone, you have to delete, or edit, part of what they say. None of Trump's tweets have been modified or parts deleted in any way, all they have done is place a tag on some of them calling them questionable information. Nope, sorry, but there is no censorship going on.
Fella, you shit on the good things to expand people on the edge to make them seem part of the general ways. This not about moralizing. It is about paying for immoral behaviors. And then compare one immoral behavior with another to make sure that there is an element of guilt or hypocracy to shut people up.

Didn't say anything about the b.s. you just posted. All I did was post the definition of censor, and then showed you that Trump isn't being censored. You apparently are the one that wants to expand it to other subjects.
Lol, Obama was never called out on his lies in his speeches, but you loons want to censor Trump's speeches when he is stating facts.
Wrong.

This is a lie.

And as already correctly noted: Trump has not been ‘censored.’

Indeed, those engaged in appropriate, warranted opposition to Trump have no desire to ‘censor’ him, they want Trump to continue to exhibit his ignorance, stupidity, and contempt for the truth.
You loons have been trying to do whatever you can to destroy Trump since he has been president. Glad you people are too stupid to do it.

He CLEARLY explains the difference between being a platform open to all & a publisher which can control content.

Well done President Trump

Sure, I know what it is....WAHHHHHHH!!!!, they're being mean to me!! They won't let me post lies!! Honestly, what a whiny little bitch. Twitter didn't delete his tweets, didn't alter the words in his tweets (which would be censorship). They slapped a fact check tag on his tweets?..Why?...because they're unsubstantiated claims. So the media empire that basically built, enabled, and then let fester his 2016 campaign is now the enemy? Careful about biting the hand that made you! :)

I've had 3 posts deleted from Facebook in the last 2 months. No notification. No explanation of and infraction. Just *poof*

That is what a publisher does not an open platform.

And to be CRYSTAL CLEAR I have been calling for Social Media to be regulated for at least a year so it has nothing to docwith Trumps Twitter account. In fact I called for it LONG BEFORE Elizabeth Warren took up the issue during her campaign.

Twitter and Facebook are privately held companies that are allowed to set their own rules and TOS.
Again, Twitter did not delete or alter his tweets. No censorship took place.

Even IF that were a legitimate argument (it is not), they have been banning and deleting posts/tweets they dont agree with for no other reason than politics. They screwed over the wrong person this time.

How did they screw him over? They didn't delete his tweets. They didn't alter any words in his tweets. They didn't delete or suspend his account. And why would they? Twitter made Trump. Without Twitter, there is no Trump. You think they are going to kill one of the golden gooses? LOL. They attached a fact check link to bullshit tweet of his. He should have just binge tweeted his dissatisfaction and left it at that. But, no. He's always his own worst enemy.

My guess. This kerfuffle dies a quiet death over the next week when someone taps him on the shoulder and whispers in his ear.."uhh...Mr President, this really wouldn't be a good idea...so let's pivot to something else". :)

I suppose the First Amendment only limits The Congress to obey the First Amendment, and once again Donald Trump believes he is above the law, even when that law it not statutory, but number one in the Bill of Rights. What next, locking up those who criticize him with no regards to the 4th, 5th and 6th articles in the Bill of Rights?
So when the media spreads lies about him it's okay, but it's not okay for him to go after them?
What lies?
Russian collusion lie for three years and still claims it.
He told Americans to inject bleach. To name a few many more, they are daily on here.
Russian collusion was proven to have happened. The Trump tower meeting was collusion.
Then why wasn't he impeached for it?
Because collusion by itself is not a crime. A conspiracy to collude is. Do you understand the difference? The only thing that saved Trump from the conspiracy part, was that it could not be proven Trump and the Russians had an agreement.

There was nothing between Rump and Russia. Nothing.

Has the media been saying Trump was born in Kenya?
I don't remember them reporting on Obama being from there, do you?

I've said this several times before, but I will say it again.

A lot of you people need to go out and buy a dictionary, because apparently you don't know what the word "censor" means. Let me help you out.........................

censor
[ sen-ser ]

SEE SYNONYMS FOR censor ON THESAURUS.COM
noun
1. an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds.
2. any person who supervises the manners or morality of others.
an adverse critic; faultfinder.
3. (in the ancient Roman republic) either of two officials who kept the register or census of the citizens, awarded public contracts, and supervised manners and morals.

verb (used with object)
4. to examine and act upon as a censor.
5. to delete (a word or passage of text) in one's capacity as a censor.

As you can clearly see from the definition, in order to censor someone, you have to delete, or edit, part of what they say. None of Trump's tweets have been modified or parts deleted in any way, all they have done is place a tag on some of them calling them questionable information. Nope, sorry, but there is no censorship going on.
Fella, you shit on the good things to expand people on the edge to make them seem part of the general ways. This not about moralizing. It is about paying for immoral behaviors. And then compare one immoral behavior with another to make sure that there is an element of guilt or hypocracy to shut people up.

Didn't say anything about the b.s. you just posted. All I did was post the definition of censor, and then showed you that Trump isn't being censored. You apparently are the one that wants to expand it to other subjects.
Lol, Obama was never called out on his lies in his speeches, but you loons want to censor Trump's speeches when he is stating facts.
Wrong.

This is a lie.

And as already correctly noted: Trump has not been ‘censored.’

Indeed, those engaged in appropriate, warranted opposition to Trump have no desire to ‘censor’ him, they want Trump to continue to exhibit his ignorance, stupidity, and contempt for the truth.

Ignorant twit.
So many white men so little time.

Twitter does not have the right to censor political posts simply because it disagrees with the content.
I think we can all agree with that. This isn't a matter of disagreement. It's a matter of fact checking..............as in Trump's tweet contained a demonstrable lie.

Yeah?

"Trump makes unsubstantiated claim that mail-in ballots will lead to voter fraud
On Tuesday, President Trump made a series of claims about potential voter fraud after California Governor Gavin Newsom announced an effort to expand mail-in voting in California during the COVID-19 pandemic. These claims are unsubstantiated, according to CNN, Washington Post and others. Experts say mail-in ballots are very rarely linked to voter fraud."

Their very first sentence is a lie. There have been over 20 case of elections being overturned due to mail in voting fraud since 1993. I'm not posting a fucking link either. Go look it up. It's all over the place. There is plenty of substantiating evidence.

So now we have to fact check Twitter's fact check. And they used CNN and WAPO as sources. YCMTSU. The most biased major media sites. What a crock of shit.

You're very much wrong.

Nothing

Nothing
What more is required?
Now if only you'd not respond more often.
Now if only you'd not respond more often.
Likewise, snowflake.

Your faux rage is noted. When Obama couldn't get immigration laws change in congress and he ignored the legislative branch and rewrote them himself none of you leftist had a problem with abuse of the power of the presidency. Hence you have zero credibility here.
But Obama! Lol! Another one searching for a legitimate argument while scapegoating someone else. These folks, just don't have what it takes.

We are mocking the left's blatant double standards and phony faux rage, suck it. Be thankful we don't confine the left to gulags.
As if you could. :laugh: I know you are serious.

Yeah?

You're very much wrong.

Nothing

Nothing
What more is required?
I offered nothing, dope.
dope, you never do.

What lies?
He told Americans to inject bleach. To name a few many more, they are daily on here.
Russian collusion was proven to have happened. The Trump tower meeting was collusion.
Because collusion by itself is not a crime. A conspiracy to collude is. Do you understand the difference? The only thing that saved Trump from the conspiracy part, was that it could not be proven Trump and the Russians had an agreement.

" Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets," Trump Jr. said during a conference in New York in 2008.

• Love
Reactions: BWK

TDS thread 1,641

Got it!

Way too long to copy here.
in a quick read - i have to agree. it's not writing a law but clarifying 230 and it's original intent.

keeping newsgroups like this open and free from being responsible for what we post *IN HERE*.

but it was never meant to apply to something like facebook and the like. trump set 'em up, old jack at twitter had to get cute and say I SPANKED THE PRESIDENT!!!! and now he got his industry redefined.

looks like whoever had Q2 or Q3 in 2020 as when the redefinition would take place won the censorship pool.

Trump has been stupid enough to make the news media the enemy, calling it "fake news." That is beyond stupid because the media always has the last word, and it can pick and chose how it covers Trump, his statements and his deeds.

Now the fool is taking on the tech sector, which may have even more influence on how Americans think.

Forty million Americans have lost their jobs. Over 100,000 Americans have lost their lives in a pandemic.

And Trump signs an executive order that opens the door for the U.S. government to assume oversight of First Amendment rights and political speech on the Internet because Twitter fact checked his lies.

This is unbelievable, and no wonder his followers don't want to defend him anymore. I thought Trump's fans were fervent in their Constitution rights, as say, for example, the Second Amendment. Or do they only support the amendments they like?

That seems to be the case with Trump. Second Amendment, sure, don't take our guns away. Free speech, hell no, if it means countering Trump's lies to his cult.

“We’re here today to defend free speech from one of the greatest dangers,” Trump said before signing the document.

The new directive seeks to change a federal law that generally spared tech companies from being sued or held liable for most posts, photos and videos shared by users on their sites. Tech giants herald these protections, known as Section 230, as the bedrock of the internet. But Trump repeatedly has argued they allow Facebook, Google and Twitter to censor conservatives with impunity.

No, Section 230 censored lies and other harmful content from anyone, regardless of political affiliation. Trump was either lying again, or he doesn't have the intellectual capability to understand the concept.

This is one hell of a distraction from the miserable job Trump has done with regard to the pandemic. By far, the U.S. leads the world in virus deaths, 103,297 and counting.
Ah, the old there-a-bigger-problem argument.

All this does is enforce existing laws and make Twitter and the rest of the big tech commie fucks liable as publishers, rather than platforms (which is the correct designation).

They still have free speech. They can editorialize all they want. They just can't be shielded from liability for defamation on their publication.

"Lies" are not covered by 230. Educate yourself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230_of_the_Communications_Decency_ActNo provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider.
Section 230(c)(2) provides immunity from civil liabilities for information service provides that remove or restrict content from their services they deem "obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable, whether or not such material is constitutionally protected", as long as they act "in good faith" in this action.

Or, they can stop being political fucktards, and let free speech REALLY be free speech.

The difference between you and me is that I may hate Neo-Nazis' speech, but I hate blocking their speech more than I hate their speech.
Great. Then make a platform and do it. People have tried doing just that and their platforms have devolved into racist and disgusting cesspools. Those platforms fail because no one wants to dwell in those cesspools, least of all advertisers who pay the bills.

That’s what I mean when I say you’re not thinking of the big picture. You’re going to kill the internet.
Interesting that you use the word "platform."

But, this is typical of you and your ilk. You would rather shield yourself from speech you hate and you don't care how you accomplish it.

The remedy to speech you hate is not pussy-ass censorship. The remedy is MORE speech.

I’m just telling you the truth and how your desires will destroy the internet.

The internet is a completely open place. Anyone who wants to engage in speech can. I’m not stopping anyone. What you’re demanding is the ability to use Twitter’s property to publish a disseminate speech to their own detriment.

How is it to their detriment? That is a red herring if I every read one. They thrive on any disagreement and the more posts the better. Duking it out is what their platform is for. Jeebus, do you know anything?

What lies?

" Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets," Trump Jr. said during a conference in New York in 2008.
Of course after Hillary sold them most of our uranium, oh and that's when you loons loved Russia.

Got it!

Way too long to copy here.
in a quick read - i have to agree. it's not writing a law but clarifying 230 and it's original intent.

keeping newsgroups like this open and free from being responsible for what we post *IN HERE*.

but it was never meant to apply to something like facebook and the like. trump set 'em up, old jack at twitter had to get cute and say I SPANKED THE PRESIDENT!!!! and now he got his industry redefined.

looks like whoever had Q2 or Q3 in 2020 as when the redefinition would take place won the censorship pool.
Anyone who thinks Trump is not a shrewd operator is buying into a serious confirmation bias.

It was a pretty smart trap.

WaPo reported earlier today that the EO has the FCC handle complaints of bias against social media companies. A government agency deciding what can be on social media? That one sends chills up my spine. Is this the USSR or China now?

Wow are you stupid. Not ignorant - stupid.

Forum List

Back