GOP working on legislation to strip Twitter of federal liability protections

Obama twists the law into a pretzel to authorize the FBI to spy on President Trump and his family. Democrats say "COOL!" President Trump signs an EO to call out obviously partisan social media platforms for selective harassment and censorship and Democrats squeal like stuck pigs.
Well that's a lie.

No, it's a fact. obummer tried to turn us into a third world shithole. And if Trump had lost none of obummers crimes would have been discovered.
Doubling down on your lie does not make it true.

I've said this several times before, but I will say it again.

A lot of you people need to go out and buy a dictionary, because apparently you don't know what the word "censor" means. Let me help you out.........................

censor
[ sen-ser ]

SEE SYNONYMS FOR censor ON THESAURUS.COM
noun
1. an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds.
2. any person who supervises the manners or morality of others.
an adverse critic; faultfinder.
3. (in the ancient Roman republic) either of two officials who kept the register or census of the citizens, awarded public contracts, and supervised manners and morals.

verb (used with object)
4. to examine and act upon as a censor.
5. to delete (a word or passage of text) in one's capacity as a censor.

As you can clearly see from the definition, in order to censor someone, you have to delete, or edit, part of what they say. None of Trump's tweets have been modified or parts deleted in any way, all they have done is place a tag on some of them calling them questionable information. Nope, sorry, but there is no censorship going on.
Fella, you shit on the good things to expand people on the edge to make them seem part of the general ways. This not about moralizing. It is about paying for immoral behaviors. And then compare one immoral behavior with another to make sure that there is an element of guilt or hypocracy to shut people up.

Didn't say anything about the b.s. you just posted. All I did was post the definition of censor, and then showed you that Trump isn't being censored. You apparently are the one that wants to expand it to other subjects.
Lol, Obama was never called out on his lies in his speeches, but you loons want to censor Trump's speeches when he is stating facts.

Trump hasn't been censored. None of his tweets have been edited, modified, or partially deleted. Buy a dictionary, you apparently need one.
One thing we can count on is the usual suspects like Bycicle Sailor showing up to lie about the topic.

Obama twists the law into a pretzel to authorize the FBI to spy on President Trump and his family. Democrats say "COOL!" President Trump signs an EO to call out obviously partisan social media platforms for selective harassment and censorship and Democrats squeal like stuck pigs.
Well that's a lie.

No, it's a fact. obummer tried to turn us into a third world shithole. And if Trump had lost none of obummers crimes would have been discovered.
He isn't lying, too bad Obama will never go to jail over this. But his corrupt administration getting exposed will all we will get. But you dumbasses will still polish his knob.

WaPo got it right. The FTC will be censoring social media:
c) The FTC shall consider taking action, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to prohibit unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce, pursuant to section 45 of title 15, United States Code. Such unfair or deceptive acts or practice may include practices by entities covered by section 230 that restrict speech in ways that do not align with those entities’ public representations about those practices.

I suppose the First Amendment only limits The Congress to obey the First Amendment, and once again Donald Trump believes he is above the law, even when that law it not statutory, but number one in the Bill of Rights. What next, locking up those who criticize him with no regards to the 4th, 5th and 6th articles in the Bill of Rights?

TDS thread 1,641

Sorry, the coveted TDS Fruitcake award has already been picked up today.

Well that's a lie.

He isn't lying, too bad Obama will never go to jail over this. But his corrupt administration getting exposed will all we will get. But you dumbasses will still polish his knob.
Trump is a reckless, irresponsible authoritarian who has nothing but contempt for the rule of law, our democratic institutions, and the Constitution.

And Trump’s enablers are just as authoritarian and have the same contempt for the rule of law, our democratic institutions, and the Constitution.

WaPo got it right. The FTC will be censoring social media:
c) The FTC shall consider taking action, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to prohibit unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce, pursuant to section 45 of title 15, United States Code. Such unfair or deceptive acts or practice may include practices by entities covered by section 230 that restrict speech in ways that do not align with those entities’ public representations about those practices.
You have successfully pointed out one of the limitations on free speech (deception with the intent to defraud). Congratulations.

Bearing false witness is in the Top Ten.
If you claim to be a Christian, let this NON-Christian school you on your own bullshit religion.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against they neighbor. THAT MEANS PERJURY IN COURT!!! That does NOT mean lying.

more specifically it means you cant lie about them or what they said or did,,,

I lie to my wife daily but never bear false witness against her,,,

There is absolutely zero liberal intelligence in this thread. I'm done. Maybe I should have realized it is an oxymoron. No - i'm not calling you morons you ill-informed liberals. None of you has any clue.
Don't call these commies "liberal" and disparage REAL liberals like me. Please and thank you.

He CLEARLY explains the difference between being a platform open to all & a publisher which can control content.

Well done President Trump

Sure, I know what it is....WAHHHHHHH!!!!, they're being mean to me!! They won't let me post lies!! Honestly, what a whiny little bitch. Twitter didn't delete his tweets, didn't alter the words in his tweets (which would be censorship). They slapped a fact check tag on his tweets?..Why?...because they're unsubstantiated claims. So the media empire that basically built, enabled, and then let fester his 2016 campaign is now the enemy? Careful about biting the hand that made you! :)

I've had 3 posts deleted from Facebook in the last 2 months. No notification. No explanation of and infraction. Just *poof*

That is what a publisher does not an open platform.

And to be CRYSTAL CLEAR I have been calling for Social Media to be regulated for at least a year so it has nothing to docwith Trumps Twitter account. In fact I called for it LONG BEFORE Elizabeth Warren took up the issue during her campaign.

Twitter and Facebook are privately held companies that are allowed to set their own rules and TOS.
Again, Twitter did not delete or alter his tweets. No censorship took place.

Exactly. And for those who think that Twitter is censoring Trump, it helps to know what those words mean.................

censor
[ sen-ser ]

SEE SYNONYMS FOR censor ON THESAURUS.COM
noun
1. an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds.
2. any person who supervises the manners or morality of others.
an adverse critic; faultfinder.
3. (in the ancient Roman republic) either of two officials who kept the register or census of the citizens, awarded public contracts, and supervised manners and morals.

verb (used with object)
1. to examine and act upon as a censor.
2. to delete (a word or passage of text) in one's capacity as a censor.

As you can clearly see from the definition, in order to censor someone, part of the information is deleted or changed in some way. Nobody has modified any of Trump's tweets, all they did was put a tag on it saying that it was questionable information. No deletions, no editing, therefore, no censoring.

its not about censorship,,,

If anyone fact checks Trump's endless lies, it's censorship. That's the Fuhrer's new rule.

Cool feelings bro. Anything to do with the law or this bbn issue....not so much.

The fucker signed it a couple minutes ago.
Need to get the court challenges going right now. This is blatantly unconstitutional.
I'm so confused I don't know if I can figure this out enough to teach it or not. I was planning to--all my students use the internet, so it ought to interest them. But there are so many arguments, I'm not sure where to go -- is the argument platform vs. publisher, or the authority of the Executive Branch, or freedom of speech? I just dunno. I haven't found the E.O. yet. Maybe that will make things a little more clear. If you find it, shoot it this way, would ya?

in a quick read - i have to agree. it's not writing a law but clarifying 230 and it's original intent.
I was thinking the same thing ... you need to read the whole thing. I don't like that FTC part I just quoted. Don't like it at all. I suppose if someone has to "investigate" these social media platforms, FTC is the appropriate agency. But I don't like the "prohibit" stuff. HEY--I get to have my paranoia moment. Everyone else around here gets to have theirs.

Got it!

Way too long to copy here.
in a quick read - i have to agree. it's not writing a law but clarifying 230 and it's original intent.

keeping newsgroups like this open and free from being responsible for what we post *IN HERE*.

but it was never meant to apply to something like facebook and the like. trump set 'em up, old jack at twitter had to get cute and say I SPANKED THE PRESIDENT!!!! and now he got his industry redefined.

looks like whoever had Q2 or Q3 in 2020 as when the redefinition would take place won the censorship pool.
Anyone who thinks Trump is not a shrewd operator is buying into a serious confirmation bias.

It was a pretty smart trap.

he knows what the rabid left are going to do. he dared them to cross that line with him and he did something about it. still reading / understanding the implications but if it's even just "no more section 230" social media just died to a degree today. at least in the form it has been headed.

Well that's a lie.

Trump is a reckless, irresponsible authoritarian who has nothing but contempt for the rule of law, our democratic institutions, and the Constitution.

And Trump’s enablers are just as authoritarian and have the same contempt for the rule of law, our democratic institutions, and the Constitution.
What specifically has done against the constitution, besides hurt your little feelings? This is how you loons acted when he won, and you have gotten worse since.
59574108_2221027804610796_5901393766031294464_n.jpg

I was thinking the same thing ... you need to read the whole thing. I don't like that FTC part I just quoted. Don't like it at all. I suppose if someone has to "investigate" these social media platforms, FTC is the appropriate agency. But I don't like the "prohibit" stuff. HEY--I get to have my paranoia moment. Everyone else around here gets to have theirs.
yea there's some "personal agenda" stuff in there and while i agree with it - i don't think it belongs in these types of documents. i could be wrong, i don't read a lot of these. but the schiff slams made it more personal than about the country to me.

in the end i 100% agree that facebook, twitter and so forth are *NOT* a newsgroup like this and should NOT be afforded protections from it. but there needs to be a "new" type creation perhaps that i hope we can work together to figure out where this falls.

they're not CNN, but they're not USMB. it's something new and needs it's own set of guidelines specific to it.

WaPo reported earlier today that the EO has the FCC handle complaints of bias against social media companies. A government agency deciding what can be on social media? That one sends chills up my spine. Is this the USSR or China now?

Wow are you stupid. Not ignorant - stupid.
That all ya got? Well, your breath smells. So there.

I’m just telling you the truth and how your desires will destroy the internet.
How so?

The internet meets the definition of a platform.

GOOGLE has blown its platform protections, but GOOGLE is not "the internet."

The internet is a completely open place. Anyone who wants to engage in speech can. I’m not stopping anyone. What you’re demanding is the ability to use Twitter’s property to publish a disseminate speech to their own detriment.
What do you mean? I am not, nor is the POTUS via the EO, demanding ANYTHING.

Twitter is acting like a fucking newspaper (editing content). They get no 230 protections if they act like a newspaper. They can still do their left-wing thought policing all they want. They just don't get to hide behind 230 protections.

It's that fucking simple.

No one edited Trump’s tweet. They don’t alter tweets. Sometimes they delete them for violating policy.

Thats exactly what 230 was intended to let them do without being subject to liability.

It’s that fucking simple.
You can’t let a company institute itself as the arbiters of truth. What happens if it comes out that Twitter or facebook are actively creating their sites to be addicting, both to kids and adults, the same way a slot machine does so. And if a story comes out that this addiction is actually harmful to brains, and these publishers decide to “fact check” these articles and label them false?

Here’s the truth. Sites like google and twitter have blown newspapers out of the water in a matter of mere years. Now they anoint themselves as publishers but don’t want to take on the liability that goes with it. If your company or gas station, or whatever place of business m has a community poster board, they are not allowed to pick and choose what is posted, as long as the content is legal. That is a violation of the first amendment.

Forum List

Back