GOP working on legislation to strip Twitter of federal liability protections

The fucker signed it a couple minutes ago.
This, needs to go through our system. EOs have now obliterated our checksvand balances.
Depends on how it was written. EO's have always been used to give direction to the agencies on how to deal with a law. So if it's carefully done, it's not going to be stopped on that front. Dang, I wish I could find it.

It would not harm Twitter one lick if they banned the lying hatemongering troll Trump from their platform.

But it would certainly send Trump into a frenzy of unrivaled proportions. I'm sifting through the sewage of his Twitter feed and one assumption I've made about the man is 100% true. He has absolutely no interest whatsoever in actually BEING President of the United States. He just wants to run for it constantly. Twitter is a privately held company that can set their own TOS and rules. They are a platform. There was no deleting or editing of the words he typed. Were it me, I'd have kicked his worthless ass out a long time ago.
If Trump somehow manages to get their status legally changed, they should ban him immediately afterward. Within the hour.
I agree.

That would be the best thing ever for their bottom line.

I've said this several times before, but I will say it again.

A lot of you people need to go out and buy a dictionary, because apparently you don't know what the word "censor" means. Let me help you out.........................

censor
[ sen-ser ]

SEE SYNONYMS FOR censor ON THESAURUS.COM
noun
1. an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds.
2. any person who supervises the manners or morality of others.
an adverse critic; faultfinder.
3. (in the ancient Roman republic) either of two officials who kept the register or census of the citizens, awarded public contracts, and supervised manners and morals.

verb (used with object)
4. to examine and act upon as a censor.
5. to delete (a word or passage of text) in one's capacity as a censor.

As you can clearly see from the definition, in order to censor someone, you have to delete, or edit, part of what they say. None of Trump's tweets have been modified or parts deleted in any way, all they have done is place a tag on some of them calling them questionable information. Nope, sorry, but there is no censorship going on.
Fella, you shit on the good things to expand people on the edge to make them seem part of the general ways. This not about moralizing. It is about paying for immoral behaviors. And then compare one immoral behavior with another to make sure that there is an element of guilt or hypocracy to shut people up.

Didn't say anything about the b.s. you just posted. All I did was post the definition of censor, and then showed you that Trump isn't being censored. You apparently are the one that wants to expand it to other subjects.
Lol, Obama was never called out on his lies in his speeches, but you loons want to censor Trump's speeches when he is stating facts.
Wrong.

This is a lie.

And as already correctly noted: Trump has not been ‘censored.’

Indeed, those engaged in appropriate, warranted opposition to Trump have no desire to ‘censor’ him, they want Trump to continue to exhibit his ignorance, stupidity, and contempt for the truth.

Trump has accused Joe Scarborough of having an affair with an intern and then murdering her. And the usual cucks line up to defend Trump, thus demonstrating they have even less decency and self-respect than Trump.

They took a dead innocent women and shit all over her memory. Calling her an adultress and a murder victim. Just to bear false witness against someone who dares to stand up to the Fuhrer.

It just doesn't get any sicker than that, ladies and gentlemen. Trump is beyond despicable. And the submissive snails who suck his cock are even worse.

Trump also retweeted a video which says, "The only good Democrat is a dead Democrat."

Every one of us, including Trump's shit-eating tard herd, know that if Obama had done things like that, they would have all been collectively foaming at the mouth enough to fill an ocean.

I daily wonder how these fucktards can stand their own stench.

Same thing the right wingers did with Seth Rich. Same thing Alex Jones did with the survivors of Sandy Hook. They all deserve to be hoist on their own petard.
But no, let's whine bitch, piss, and moan over a privately held social media platform tagging a post for fact check.
Bearing false witness is in the Top Ten. That these sick fucks defend such behavior, and Trump's serial adultery, tells me they are not the Christians they claim to be.

We do need changes - The executive order is making it quite clear that they are now a content provider.
The executive order can not rewrite legislation. Twitter is not liable for the content of their users. If they were, Trump would be kicked off immediately.

THEY can be held LIABLE because the just opened up the Pandoras box by editorializing. They are now a content provider not a content platform. They now will have to police the whole twitter universe. You know that isn't gonna happen.
Nope. The language of the law is extremely basic and clear. Trump cannot rewrite law by executive order.

I NEVER said he is changing the language of the law. But please do understand, the executive order ISN"T needed to begin to hold Twitter liable for content on their platform. All they need to do is start editorializing and acting as publisher. They did that. It's a done deal. They need to back off or they will be fucking themselves.
Trump nor anyone can treat Twitter like a publisher of user content without a change in current law.

Not happening anytime soon.
Wrong. Twitter behaved like a publisher so it can be treated like a publisher.

It would not harm Twitter one lick if they banned the lying hatemongering troll Trump from their platform.

But it would certainly send Trump into a frenzy of unrivaled proportions. I'm sifting through the sewage of his Twitter feed and one assumption I've made about the man is 100% true. He has absolutely no interest whatsoever in actually BEING President of the United States. He just wants to run for it constantly. Twitter is a privately held company that can set their own TOS and rules. They are a platform. There was no deleting or editing of the words he typed. Were it me, I'd have kicked his worthless ass out a long time ago.
If Trump somehow manages to get their status legally changed, they should ban him immediately afterward. Within the hour.
as would be their right,,,

Seems we have to type slowly so leftists might understand. Once you do what Twitter has done, censor content and start labeling tweets, you are now a content provider. Meaning you have no protection from libel.

They should sue tramp , the family of the girl. He is a disgusting POS.

No one edited Trump’s tweet. They don’t alter tweets. Sometimes they delete them for violating policy.

Thats exactly what 230 was intended to let them do without being subject to liability.

It’s that fucking simple.
God DAMN!!
:laughing0301:

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. I will waste no more of my time.

The fucker signed it a couple minutes ago.
This, needs to go through our system. EOs have now obliterated our checksvand balances.
Depends on how it was written. EO's have always been used to give direction to the agencies on how to deal with a law. So if it's carefully done, it's not going to be stopped on that front. Dang, I wish I could find it.
yep. i'll wait and see. my concern is that we're allowing EO's to be used by one side as a GOTCHA to the other. except we do the "hold my beer" and OUTDO what the last guy did.

ugh.

I’m just telling you the truth and how your desires will destroy the internet.
How so?

The internet meets the definition of a platform.

GOOGLE has blown its platform protections, but GOOGLE is not "the internet."

The internet is a completely open place. Anyone who wants to engage in speech can. I’m not stopping anyone. What you’re demanding is the ability to use Twitter’s property to publish a disseminate speech to their own detriment.
What do you mean? I am not, nor is the POTUS via the EO, demanding ANYTHING.

Twitter is acting like a fucking newspaper (editing content). They get no 230 protections if they act like a newspaper. They can still do their left-wing thought policing all they want. They just don't get to hide behind 230 protections.

It's that fucking simple.

No one edited Trump’s tweet. They don’t alter tweets. Sometimes they delete them for violating policy.

Thats exactly what 230 was intended to let them do without being subject to liability.

They sure as hell did edit Trump's tweets. They added notes to them saying they should not be believed. That's called "editing."

That is the exact opposite of what 230 was intended to allow.

Last edited:
I’m just telling you the truth and how your desires will destroy the internet.
How so?

The internet meets the definition of a platform.

GOOGLE has blown its platform protections, but GOOGLE is not "the internet."

The internet is a completely open place. Anyone who wants to engage in speech can. I’m not stopping anyone. What you’re demanding is the ability to use Twitter’s property to publish a disseminate speech to their own detriment.
What do you mean? I am not, nor is the POTUS via the EO, demanding ANYTHING.

Twitter is acting like a fucking newspaper (editing content). They get no 230 protections if they act like a newspaper. They can still do their left-wing thought policing all they want. They just don't get to hide behind 230 protections.

It's that fucking simple.

AG Barr, who was also in attendance, said Section 230 "was stretched way beyond its original intention...its purpose was to allow websites that were acting virtually as bulletin boards were not responsible for third-party information...". When they "curate" their collection and start "censoring" particular content, they become publishers, and they shouldn't be entitled to the same kind of shield that was set up earlier. He also explained how the executive order sets up a "rule making procedure for the FCC" to try and "get back to the original interpretation" of Section 230.
-----
so since they abused the fuck out of it, it's time we re-examine it. now, the irony is Section 230 was put in place so tech companies wouldn't be responsible for 3rd party content. it was supposed to prevent censorship out of fear of litigation.

oops.

WaPo reported earlier today that the EO has the FCC handle complaints of bias against social media companies. A government agency deciding what can be on social media? That one sends chills up my spine. Is this the USSR or China now?

So they become liable for everyone else’s speech on their website because they engaged in their own speech? Sounds putative.
Yes. That's what happens when you start acting like a publisher because certain speech hurts your feel-feels.

There’s about a million things I’d rather do than listen to this doofus for half an hour. I really don’t have much respect for this guy’s honesty or intelligence.
He breaks down the EO.

OR, you can just read the EO. Either way.

Section 230 was specifically written to give platforms the ability to act like publishers without assuming liability for every user post.

That was the whole point.

You don’t happen to know where I can find the text of the order? It was only signed a few hours ago and haven’t been able to see a copy. Not sure how Timmy could pump out a video so quick.
Dear lord, you are completely wrong and I'm not going to educate you.

WaPo reported earlier today that the EO has the FCC handle complaints of bias against social media companies. A government agency deciding what can be on social media? That one sends chills up my spine. Is this the USSR or China now?
social media saying what i can and can't post there while they track my every move?

not a good choice either way.

Only monitoring for editorial actions to remove the "platform" protections. That is all they are doing.

Trump has been stupid enough to make the news media the enemy, calling it "fake news." That is beyond stupid because the media always has the last word, and it can pick and chose how it covers Trump, his statements and his deeds.

Now the fool is taking on the tech sector, which may have even more influence on how Americans think.

Forty million Americans have lost their jobs. Over 100,000 Americans have lost their lives in a pandemic.

And Trump signs an executive order that opens the door for the U.S. government to assume oversight of First Amendment rights and political speech on the Internet because Twitter fact checked his lies.

This is unbelievable, and no wonder his followers don't want to defend him anymore. I thought Trump's fans were fervent in their Constitution rights, as say, for example, the Second Amendment. Or do they only support the amendments they like?

That seems to be the case with Trump. Second Amendment, sure, don't take our guns away. Free speech, hell no, if it means countering Trump's lies to his cult.

“We’re here today to defend free speech from one of the greatest dangers,” Trump said before signing the document.

The new directive seeks to change a federal law that generally spared tech companies from being sued or held liable for most posts, photos and videos shared by users on their sites. Tech giants herald these protections, known as Section 230, as the bedrock of the internet. But Trump repeatedly has argued they allow Facebook, Google and Twitter to censor conservatives with impunity.

No, Section 230 censored lies and other harmful content from anyone, regardless of political affiliation. Trump was either lying again, or he doesn't have the intellectual capability to understand the concept.

This is one hell of a distraction from the miserable job Trump has done with regard to the pandemic. By far, the U.S. leads the world in virus deaths, 103,297 and counting.

Only monitoring for editorial actions to remove the "platform" protections. That is all they are doing.

many years ago friends of mine and i were debating when this day would come. it wouldn't likely come when the left was in charge because the social media helped them. HUGE "useful pawn" in their war.

but with social media, news media and so much more way out of control, what do people think is going to happen in the end? someone is going to start enforcing the law and it will be a "but you never have before" moment of reckoning.

we're going to have to stop using the bad actions of the past allow bad actions of today become bad habits of tomorrow and only way to do that *is* overreact and start taking some shit down and just ignore the bitching.

Trump has been stupid enough to make the news media the enemy, calling it "fake news." That is beyond stupid because the media always has the last word, and it can pick and chose how it covers Trump, his statements and his deeds.

Now the fool is taking on the tech sector, which may have even more influence on how Americans think.

Forty million Americans have lost their jobs. Over 100,000 Americans have lost their lives in a pandemic.

And Trump signs an executive order that opens the door for the U.S. government to assume oversight of First Amendment rights and political speech on the Internet because Twitter fact checked his lies.

This is unbelievable, and no wonder his followers don't want to defend him anymore. I thought Trump's fans were fervent in their Constitution rights, as say, for example, the Second Amendment. Or do they only support the amendments they like?

That seems to be the case with Trump. Second Amendment, sure, don't take our guns away. Free speech, hell no, if it means countering Trump's lies to his cult.

“We’re here today to defend free speech from one of the greatest dangers,” Trump said before signing the document.

The new directive seeks to change a federal law that generally spared tech companies from being sued or held liable for most posts, photos and videos shared by users on their sites. Tech giants herald these protections, known as Section 230, as the bedrock of the internet. But Trump repeatedly has argued they allow Facebook, Google and Twitter to censor conservatives with impunity.

No, Section 230 censored lies and other harmful content from anyone, regardless of political affiliation. Trump was either lying again, or he doesn't have the intellectual capability to understand the concept.

This is one hell of a distraction from the miserable job Trump has done with regard to the pandemic. By far, the U.S. leads the world in virus deaths, 103,297 and counting.
not even close to what happened.

and the lefts propensity to overreact and over-state things and drag everyone into their emotional bullshit is why laws have to now be enforced.

deal with it.

Forum List

Back