GOP official on Pat Toomey: "We didn't send him there to vote his conscience, do the right thing - or whatever"

what the hell does that have to do with what I said.

The point is....I expect all representatives to put their conscience aside and vote for what their constituents expect of them. Otherwise, we the people are no longer the people....we the people will be how our representatives wish we would be.

This thread is actually criticizing they way things are supposed to be.

We're gonna have to disagree on this. You want your Republican representatives to vote how only Republicans want them to vote. They represent ALL the people in their state, not just Republicans. They must first and foremost vote their conscience. Personally I respect that, even if the guys I vote for don't always agree with me.

I was simply responding to your comment on Catholics. There is no consensus among Catholics with regard to abortion and gay rights as evidenced by the fact that the vote was split between Biden and Trump.

I realize that this is a bit complicated for Trump supporters to understand, so please read it carefully and try to understand it before replying:

An elected official is generally supposed to represent the will of their constituency - the people who voted for them, the people who voted against them and the people who did not vote. Since the majority voted for them, they should weigh in favor of that majority.

However, that is only true to the extent that it is in keeping with their Oath of Office and any other official Oaths that they've taken per their office.

In this case their Oath taken as U.S. Senator and the Oath taken at the beginning of the impeachment trial overrides any obligation to their constituency.

In fact if they violate these oaths they should be removed from office - regardless of the will of their constituency.

" I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

I solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of (the president’s name), President of the United States, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: so help me God.”

43 U.S. Senators have befouled their oath of office and their Impeachment Oath and should be removed from office!!!!

You win the thread - Thanks! :clap:

My friends, this is what a cult of personality looks like. Sad :confused:

A number of local parties in the presidential battleground state have already moved to censure Toomey, even before the vote over the weekend.​
In Washington County, GOP chairman Dave Ball said party members felt betrayed by Toomey and voted last week to censure the senator.​
“We did not send him there to vote his conscience, do the the right thing - or whatever he said he was doing". We sent him there to represent us,” Ball told KDKA, a CBS affiliate based in Pittsburgh.​

Senators, like all federal officials, take the sworn oath: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter."

For the impeachment trials, each senator, including the Republicans take an additional sworn oath: “I solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be,) that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of (trump, in this case), now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws.”

Toomey was sitting as a juror, and his oaths demanded his honesty and integrity. The whims and prejudices of his trump Nazi-constituents were unimportant in this matter,

Honest and integrity?

A trial with no witnesses, nothing more than circumstantial evidence along with presumptions and assumptions.....

He was a juror that voted for guilty with that?

And you use the words honest and integrity?

Really?

If your neighbor said he saw you kill a dog in cold blood...and he had no actual proof of the actual killing but he had an audio recording of you saying you hate dogs....would you be OK with that being enough to convict you?

Would you consider the jury who convicted you of applying honesty and integrity?

I realize that this is a bit complicated for Trump supporters to understand, so please read it carefully and try to understand it before replying:

An elected official is generally supposed to represent the will of their constituency - the people who voted for them, the people who voted against them and the people who did not vote. Since the majority voted for them, they should weigh in favor of that majority.

However, that is only true to the extent that it is in keeping with their Oath of Office and any other official Oaths that they've taken per their office.

In this case their Oath taken as U.S. Senator and the Oath taken at the beginning of the impeachment trial overrides any obligation to their constituency.

In fact if they violate these oaths they should be removed from office - regardless of the will of their constituency.

" I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

I solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of (the president’s name), President of the United States, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: so help me God.”

43 U.S. Senators have befouled their oath of office and their Impeachment Oath and should be removed from office!!!!
Spare us your horseshit.

I knew that would be way too complicated for you to comprehend. It was intended for Trump supporters that have some shred of intelligence.

what the hell does that have to do with what I said.

The point is....I expect all representatives to put their conscience aside and vote for what their constituents expect of them. Otherwise, we the people are no longer the people....we the people will be how our representatives wish we would be.

This thread is actually criticizing they way things are supposed to be.

We're gonna have to disagree on this. You want your Republican representatives to vote how only Republicans want them to vote. They represent ALL the people in their state, not just Republicans. They must first and foremost vote their conscience. Personally I respect that, even if the guys I vote for don't always agree with me.

I was simply responding to your comment on Catholics. There is no consensus among Catholics with regard to abortion and gay rights as evidenced by the fact that the vote was split between Biden and Trump.
They represent the values they campaigned on.
Not people, not all people, not some people.
They campaign on an agenda, the y are voted n for that campaign agenda and they are to apply that agenda.
Its not about anything more than winning the majority of the vote based on your agenda.

Spare us your horseshit.

I knew that would be way too complicated for you to comprehend. It was intended for Trump supporters that have some shred of intelligence.
Actually, he is correct. Spare us your horseshit.

Why?

Because it is horseshit.

If it wasn't, then every elected official would have a district wide vote for every decision he/she has to make before making it.

Thats not how it works....as much as you want to say it does.

An elected official votes based on how he campaigned he would vote. If he doesnt, he will be voted out next time.

I mean....you refer to Trump voters as unintelligent....yet you post horsehit like you did?

The only reason Romney got elected is because he led the voters to believe that he supported what they want. Romney is a typical establishment scumbag.

That Trumpy Bear got 70% of the vote in Utah, has NOTHING to do with the impartial juror decision that he made in this particular case.
Mitt Romney voted WITH Trump 75% of the time.

This was about seditious incitement of a riot. Even Republicans who voted against impeachment believed Dear Leader was GUILTY. They used their ridiculous belief that convicting a president who was no longer in office (even though he was impeached while IN office) as an excuse in order to remain in power. Moscow Mitch is a classic example.

*Translated from the original Russian :)

Spare us your horseshit.

Why?

Because it is horseshit.

If it wasn't, then every elected official would have a district wide vote for every decision he/she has to make before making it.

An elected official votes based on how he campaigned he would vote. If he doesnt, he will be voted out next time.

I mean....you refer to Trump voters as unintelligent....yet you post horsehit like you did?

Sorry - Richard is 100% spot on. They all took an OATH. Do you deny that?

Reps are supposed to vote based on the will of their people. If his district is heavily in favor of Trump then he betrayed the people who elected him. If his district isn't then he did the right thing.

Seems simple enough to me. He wasn't elected preacher
I disagree. I vote for peope I believe are decent and honest--who WILL do the right thing in a pinch--far more than what their policy beliefs are. As much as I am not a conservative, I would vote for a Sasse before a Democrat I didn't trust.

Honest and integrity?

A trial with no witnesses, nothing more than circumstantial evidence along with presumptions and assumptions.....

He was a juror that voted for guilty with that?

And you use the words honest and integrity?

Really?

If your neighbor said he saw you kill a dog in cold blood...and he had no actual proof of the actual killing but he had an audio recording of you saying you hate dogs....would you be OK with that being enough to convict you?

Would you consider the jury who convicted you of applying honesty and integrity?

That's perhaps the worst analogy in the history of mankind ;)

Spare us your horseshit.

anyone who listens to what you have to say is a moron. 100% of Democrats voted to convict Trump. How is that "voting your conscience?" We all now the Democrat Reich would sell their own mothers for gold, so these claims about honesty and integrity are the most absurd horseshit imaginable

Reps are supposed to vote based on the will of their people. If his district is heavily in favor of Trump then he betrayed the people who elected him. If his district isn't then he did the right thing.

I disagree. I vote for peope I believe are decent and honest--who WILL do the right thing in a pinch--far more than what their policy beliefs are. As much as I am not a conservative, I would vote for a Sasse before a Democrat I didn't trust.
No you don't. You vote for minions of the Democrat Reich, and no one else.

Spare us your horseshit.

Why?

Because it is horseshit.

Richard is an idiot. He's noted for posting lies and bullshit.

It is.

Uncharted territory, at least for America. We may never see something like this again.

Hopefully.

A healthy percentage of Republicans have lost their souls. They replaced their religion with unquestioning loyalty to a cult of personality.

It is.

Uncharted territory, at least for America. We may never see something like this again.

Hopefully.

A healthy percentage of Republicans have lost their souls. They replaced their religion with unquestioning loyalty to a cult of personality.
ROFL! consider this: 100% of Democrats voted to impeach Trump. If that isn't with unquestioning loyalty to a cult, I don't know what is.

Spare us your horseshit.

Why?

Because it is horseshit.

Diversion.

I disagree with the whole thing about "he/she is to represent all of the people. That is a myth. He/she is to apply the agenda they ran on. Nothing more. As long as their decisions are what they deem constitutional, for them to say "well, I said I would do A and the majority of the people voted for me to do A but I am aware that a large minority of people want me to do B....and I have to represent ALL of the people so I wont vote for anything." Is that how it is supposed to work?

Are you sure?

Is that how Biden is doing things?

Are you sure?

or dictator

It is.

Hopefully.

ROFL! consider this: 100% of Democrats voted to impeach Trump. If that isn't with unquestioning loyalty to a cult, I don't know what is.
dude, every fking demofk said if the GOP senators didn't vote guilty they were traitors. They did it themselves. gaslighters.

Forum List

Back