Gone keto. Anyone else out there in USMB land?

Anyone who has done Atkins has followed a basically ketogenic diet

Charles Atkins died of heart disease.
So did running guru Jim Fixx

Genetics are a bitch

So are lousy eating habits.

So you have proof it was Atkin's eating habits rather than a family history of heart disease?

People think the induction phase of the Atkins regimen is all there is

Please don't take this as an endorsement of any diet fad

If I was going to pick a diet plan it would be Paleo because personally I see nothing wrong with eating fruits. When people tell me that eating an apple is bad for me I tend to tune them out

Anyone who has done Atkins has followed a basically ketogenic diet

Charles Atkins died of heart disease.
That's an assumption. He had heart infections years before, so a history of heart issues - and all the coroner would say was that he died from a fall and he was not even internally examined for his autopsy due to family request.

Past Paleo. Whoa geeze. Costing a fortune initially but I think its worth it. At least my local food bank just got the benefits of my pantry.
Yes. I've started a keto diet. Basically, keto is all about the macros.

5% carbs, protein 15 - 20%, the rest in fats.

It is amazing the number of lies being told to the world with regard to fats.

Anyway, your body stores about a total of 4 days worth of glycogen(carbs). Once those stores are used up, your liver turns on the cells that burn ketotones (fat) instead of glucose.

Since the body normally stores about 700k calories in fat, as you can imagine, you have a lot of energy to sustain you when you give up the sugars.

The side effect is weight loss, but the most important part of the diet is what it does to blood insulin levels. For people who are insulin sensitive, it brings the insulin in the blood down over time to the normal range and that is a huge health benefit.

The diet also provides more clarity of thought, longer and more sustained energy during the day, better emotional stability, and vivid dreams.

It does have a downside.

No beer.

So I gave it up!!!!

:aargh::badgrin::disbelief:

I'm kidding of course. Once you get past the keto flu, you'll feel amazing. Oh, and if you stay away from the commercial products, it isn't all that much more expensive because you actually end up eating less frequently. :yes_text12:

Past Paleo. Whoa geeze. Costing a fortune initially but I think its worth it. At least my local food bank just got the benefits of my pantry.

Anyway, your body stores about a total of 4 days worth of glycogen(carbs). Once those stores are used up, your liver turns on the cells that burn ketotones (fat) instead of glucose.

Since the body normally stores about 700k calories in fat, as you can imagine, you have a lot of energy to sustain you when you give up the sugars.

The side effect is weight loss, but the most important part of the diet is what it does to blood insulin levels. For people who are insulin sensitive, it brings the insulin in the blood down over time to the normal range and that is a huge health benefit.

The diet also provides more clarity of thought, longer and more sustained energy during the day, better emotional stability, and vivid dreams.

It does have a downside.

No beer.

So I gave it up!!!!

I'm kidding of course. Once you get past the keto flu, you'll feel amazing. Oh, and if you stay away from the commercial products, it isn't all that much more expensive because you actually end up eating less frequently. :yes_text12:

Keto has become all about pissing on a stick and getting a dark purple reading

It does have a downside.

No beer.

So I gave it up!!!!

Only for those who fear change, believe the lies told them about fats, and want to have everyone one do as they do.

The rest of us understand that checking ketones in urine is a test to ensure that the carb intake is indeed low enough to start the process. We also understand that after time, ketones in urine drop dramatically while remaining in ketosis and that there are other ways to ensure you have not dropped out.

The chief one being a blood sugar test through an inexpensive meter.

The recommendation by many doctors is that people who are insulin sensitive should be checking their blood sugar often and that plays right into a healthy lifestyle. People should check their BP at least weekly too, but hey, some people won't be told.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

It does have a downside.

No beer.

So I gave it up!!!!

Only for those who fear change, believe the lies told them about fats, and want to have everyone one do as they do.

The rest of us understand that checking ketones in urine is a test to ensure that the carb intake is indeed low enough to start the process. We also understand that after time, ketones in urine drop dramatically while remaining in ketosis and that there are other ways to ensure you have not dropped out.

The recommendation by many doctors is that people who are insulin sensitive should be checking their blood sugar often and that plays right into a healthy lifestyle. People should check their BP at least weekly too, but hey, some people won't be told.
Thanks for your posts on this. Science always trumps peoples' hard-headed ego approach.

In my experience/research with Nutrition, one size fits all diets are generally not advisable. This is due to lineage, it seems like.

Somewhat of a keto w. only certain fruits would probably be the best general guideline.

For me personally, I abstain from any carbohydrate 6 days a week. My blood tests are pretty amazing.

For others - like I said it depends on their ancestry. There's this one husband and wife couple that study blood and gut micro-biomes, and when the husband has any carbs his insulin levels go bonkers whereas for the wife, they barely change and this is with controls on all other dietary factors. They monitor and mirror each others' food intake and adjust for body mass, in-terms of quantity. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

There's another couple that's been on an all carnivore diet for over 20 years and all of their health metrics are perfect. That's anecdotal, I'd never try it. Crazy, though!

It does have a downside.

No beer.

So I gave it up!!!!

Thanks for your posts on this. Science always trumps peoples' hard-headed ego approach.

In my experience/research with Nutrition, one size fits all diets are generally not advisable. This is due to lineage, it seems like.

Somewhat of a keto w. only certain fruits would probably be the best general guideline.

For me personally, I abstain from any carbohydrate 6 days a week. My blood tests are pretty amazing.

For others - like I said it depends on their ancestry. There's this one husband and wife couple that study blood and gut micro-biomes, and when the husband has any carbs his insulin levels go bonkers whereas for the wife, they barely change and this is with controls on all other dietary factors. They monitor and mirror each others' food intake and adjust for body mass, in-terms of quantity. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

There's another couple that's been on an all carnivore diet for over 20 years and all of their health metrics are perfect. That's anecdotal, I'd never try it. Crazy, though!
There is a doctor out there -- can't recall his name off the top of My head -- that was a keto proponent who when fully carnivore. He claims all of his health and blood markers (with the exception of cholesterol) are textbook.

I found his statements about his cholesterol interesting in that the thinking on how your body gets cholesterol from food has been moving decidedly away from it being a red flag. Science is now thinking that the body makes 90% of its cholesterol and that only 10% comes from diet.

Anyway, he said that his cholesterol levels were in the range of 300 or something like that.

For Me, I am insulin sensitive (comes from a lifetime of drinking beer and eating to much), and the keto regime is the perfect way to get My borderline diabetes in check.

I've just recently started this diet, so I'll be watching the markers to be sure things are going well. I always do a lot of reserch before jumping in to something.

• Thanks

It does have a downside.

No beer.

So I gave it up!!!!

There is a doctor out there -- can't recall his name off the top of My head -- that was a keto proponent who when fully carnivore. He claims all of his health and blood markers (with the exception of cholesterol) are textbook.

I found his statements about his cholesterol interesting in that the thinking on how your body gets cholesterol from food has been moving decidedly away from it being a red flag. Science is now thinking that the body makes 90% of its cholesterol and that only 10% comes from diet.

Anyway, he said that his cholesterol levels were in the range of 300 or something like that.

For Me, I am insulin sensitive (comes from a lifetime of drinking beer and eating to much), and the keto regime is the perfect way to get My borderline diabetes in check.

I've just recently started this diet, so I'll be watching the markers to be sure things are going well. I always do a lot of reserch before jumping in to something.
I'm years and years deep, we can call it "balls deep" into the research and experimentation. If you ever had any questions, hollar.

I started before any of this was a fad - back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Instead of following any diet, I monitored my "fullness" and sluggishness after meals and discovered that lean meats and greens worked best for my body. The low-carb fad happened after I already knew about this shit, and the whirlwind of dumb-assery that followed really pissed me off.

There's the hard heads that just say "balance," that don't realize that a single sniff of a slice of bread for some folks makes them gain 45lbs just looking at it. There IS NO one size fits all, and different comboes of foods make different bodies react in different ways. This seems to be the missing link.

Then, there's the other extremists who start to yo-yo and have no self control. Gain lose/gain lose, ad infinitum.

The keto thing is an easier approach than what I do, because the fats replace the fullness that the lack of carbs creates a vacuum for. Still, personally, I stick to way below the recommended keto amount of fat because the caloric intake seems to mitigate the speed of the fat loss.

I have tons and tons of little hacks of flavor that satiate cravings while maintaining the regimen. A friend and I have been kicking ideas back and forth for years, it really helps and it's pretty fun, too.

It does have a downside.

No beer.

So I gave it up!!!!

Nonsense. That only works for the beginning stages of ketosis; when in response to the change the body produces excess ketones. After prolonged ketosis the body settles into producing only what is needed. As such a person who has been in ketosis for weeks won’t be producing excess ketones; whereby they won’t be excreting high enough ketone concentration to get a response from piss strips.
No offense but... You seem to have some pretty strong opinions about this matter; which you obviously know little about...

• Thanks

It does have a downside.

No beer.

So I gave it up!!!!

Nonsense. That only works for the beginning stages of ketosis; when in response to the change the body produces excess ketones. After prolonged ketosis the body settles into producing only what is needed. As such a person who has been in ketosis for weeks won’t be producing excess ketones; whereby they won’t be excreting high enough ketone concentration to get a response from piss strips.
No offense but... You seem to have some pretty strong opinions about this matter; which you obviously know little about...
If they haven't smelled ammonia after a strong jog or sweat, they're DQ'd from telling us jack-shit. :2up:

not sure why I capsed "DQ," mebbe I was thinkin about dairy queen :eek::oops:

It does have a downside.

No beer.

So I gave it up!!!!

I'm years and years deep, we can call it "balls deep" into the research and experimentation. If you ever had any questions, hollar.

I started before any of this was a fad - back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Instead of following any diet, I monitored my "fullness" and sluggishness after meals and discovered that lean meats and greens worked best for my body. The low-carb fad happened after I already knew about this shit, and the whirlwind of dumb-assery that followed really pissed me off.

There's the hard heads that just say "balance," that don't realize that a single sniff of a slice of bread for some folks makes them gain 45lbs just looking at it. There IS NO one size fits all, and different comboes of foods make different bodies react in different ways. This seems to be the missing link.

Then, there's the other extremists who start to yo-yo and have no self control. Gain lose/gain lose, ad infinitum.

The keto thing is an easier approach than what I do, because the fats replace the fullness that the lack of carbs creates a vacuum for. Still, personally, I stick to way below the recommended keto amount of fat because the caloric intake seems to mitigate the speed of the fat loss.

I have tons and tons of little hacks of flavor that satiate cravings while maintaining the regimen. A friend and I have been kicking ideas back and forth for years, it really helps and it's pretty fun, too.
Of course, low carbs has not been a secret to the weight lifting community, as they know that going low carb get them the 'shredded' look they are out to achieve.

I tend to work long hours on a per shift basis, so convenience has always been a big factor with Me. That makes it difficult to stick to any kind of diet when on the run 14 hours a day. So I'm still in the 'feeling My way' stage of meal preps on My days off. The difficulty is trying to find a balance where I can make enough meals ahead of time that they won't start to go bad or just become disgusting by the third day out from their prep. I've moved to do some crockpot recipes and I was gifted an 'Instant Pot' last Christmas. That thing is amazing. I can do a weeks worth of food in under 12 minutes! I have a low carb chili that is pretty good.

The most amazing part so far is how easy the 16/8 fasting scheme works. I really don't start to feel hungry until about 15 hours after My last meal and that is a tell-tale sign that it is working.

I can spell, honest. lol edited to correct spelling.

• Thanks

Of course, low carbs has not been a secret to the weight lifting community, as they know that going low carb get them the 'shredded' look they are out to achieve.

I tend to work long hours on a per shift basis, so convenience has always been a big factor with Me. That makes it difficult to stick to any kind of diet when on the run 14 hours a day. So I'm still in the 'feeling My way' stage of meal preps on My days off. The difficulty is trying to find a balance where I can make enough meals ahead of time that they won't start to go bad or just become disgusting by the third day out from their prep. I've moved to do some crockpot recipes and I was gifted an 'Instant Pot' last Christmas. That thing is amazing. I can do a weeks worth of food in under 12 minutes! I have a low carb chili that is pretty good.

The most amazing part so far is how easy the 16/8 fasting scheme works. I really don't start to feel hungry until about 15 hours after My last meal and that is a tell-tale sign that it is working.

A good little snack pack for me is some deli chicken breast roll ups with a small strip of ranch in the center.

Microwave steamed broccoli bags are like a buck at the grocer, and there's studies that show that flash-frozen veggies hold their nutritional value better than the produce aisle.....so in other words, it's an old wive's tale and not scientific that un-frozen is fresher. The microwavable veggies thing has saved me tons of time - I rock a back and forth between broccoli and asparagus for those. I steam the broccoli, and then throw it in the fridge and eat it like 3 times per bag. I eat it cold, and throw some lemon juice on it. I learned that it was tasty after some fancy restaurant that I worked at dressed-up their shrimp cocktail trays with cold lemon-broccoli.

I also buy those tubs of kale/spinach mix, and every 2nd day I toss them into my magic bullet with my protein shakes.

That's another time saver - the magic bullet. You can get everything you need in a few seconds and then a few sips. I bought mine like 5 years ago for $100, use it every day, and it's still knocking anything apart.

Taco salads are also fine for keto....and they're fulfilling.

A good little snack pack for me is some deli chicken breast roll ups with a small strip of ranch in the center.

Microwave steamed broccoli bags are like a buck at the grocer, and there's studies that show that flash-frozen veggies hold their nutritional value better than the produce aisle.....so in other words, it's an old wive's tale and not scientific that un-frozen is fresher. The microwavable veggies thing has saved me tons of time - I rock a back and forth between broccoli and asparagus for those. I steam the broccoli, and then throw it in the fridge and eat it like 3 times per bag. I eat it cold, and throw some lemon juice on it. I learned that it was tasty after some fancy restaurant that I worked at dressed-up their shrimp cocktail trays with cold lemon-broccoli.

I also buy those tubs of kale/spinach mix, and every 2nd day I toss them into my magic bullet with my protein shakes.

That's another time saver - the magic bullet. You can get everything you need in a few seconds and then a few sips. I bought mine like 5 years ago for $100, use it every day, and it's still knocking anything apart.

I cannot for the life of me find off the shelf Bleu Cheese dressings, Caesar dressings, or mayos; that don’t have soybean oils as a main ingredient. I also visciously endeavor to eliminate soy products from my regiment. Any suggestions aside from making my own?

I'll eat broccoli, but I'm not a huge fan. I prefer cauliflower, and there is a nice reciepe for roasting cauliflower and then coating them like chicken wings. A good olive oil/garlic with a touch of hot sauce and they're excellent and keep well in the fridge.

I do buy the minute, self venting veggies but you have to be careful to get the ones without any sauce in them. Effin hidden carbs everywhere!

I cannot for the life of me find off the shelf Bleu Cheese dressings, Caesar dressings, or mayos; that don’t have soybean oils as a main ingredient. I also visciously endeavor to eliminate soy products from my regiment. Any suggestions aside from making my own?
Hmm, naw man - I've never heard the avoid soybean oil thing. But I just did a cursory search, and it's sure enough on the list of oils to avoid.

I just look at the carb and fat macros on my dressings and don't worry about the rest, not because I don't care but because I use such a flimsy amount because I'm obsessive. Like, most dressings is 2tbsp per serving? I use like the size of what a happy trail would be on a hamster's vagina. Like a hairline strip of the stuff, if I use it.

Here's the list of bad oils though, for anyone...& thanks for the info.

• Soybean oil
  • Canola oil
  • Corn oil
  • Peanut oil
  • Sunflower oil
  • Safflower oil
  • Cottonseed oil
  • Grapeseed oil

I'll eat broccoli, but I'm not a huge fan. I prefer cauliflower, and there is a nice reciepe for roasting cauliflower and then coating them like chicken wings. A good olive oil/garlic with a touch of hot sauce and they're excellent and keep well in the fridge.

I do buy the minute, self venting veggies but you have to be careful to get the ones without any sauce in them. Effin hidden carbs everywhere!
Check out “riced” cauliflower...

yeah forget the saucy ones, make our own!

So far, only Primal Goddess. They make a blu cheese that is based on avacado oil

Google Express

Sorry, Primal Kitchen.

Check out “riced” cauliflower...
Yeah, My wife has had it so I'm going to give that a shot too.

Forum List

Back