Godless Americans

Looks like Anguille is winning the culture war.
(CNN) -- America is a less Christian nation than it was 20 years ago, and Christianity is not losing out to other religions, but primarily to a rejection of religion altogether, a survey published Monday found.
America becoming less Christian, survey finds - CNN.com

This article points to a bizarre and somewhat alarming trend of a polarizing American society. While people who identify themselves as Christians make up a smaller percentage of the American population than they did 20 years ago, on the flip side of the coin, a larger percentage of Americans now consider themselves fundamentalist Christians than 20 years ago. Two groups seem to be growing: those that reject their country's cultural and religious roots, and those who want to impose their fundamentalist religious views on the secular state. One alienates the other, and that's not a good thing.

When some atheists get angry and protest the idea that this is a Christian country, they are fallaciously taking their culture out of ethnocultural context, and are trying to convince themselves that the United States is somehow an "ethnically and culturally neutral country", which is not true (this is an overwhelmingly English-speaking, European-descended [even Afr-Americans have some European descent], and heavily AngloSaxon-influenced culture). I'm not saying that the dominant religion is a victim...by no means am I some bill O'Reilly. But when corporations refrain from using the term "Christmas party" in favour of "holiday party", and when [a select small number of] atheists carry out acts of provocation by placing a sign about the non-existence of God next to a nativity scene on public land (although I'll defend their legal right to do so, but I'll question their judgement), you can expect some sort of backlash. Even if you do not consider yourself Christian, let's be honest...your parents or grandparents most likely did, you come from a culture with Christian cultural/philosophical roots (and you yourself were influenced by Christianity, even though you may not think so), and you probably enjoy celebrating Christmas. But in order to rationalize this, there's the old "oh, Christmas is a pagan holiday" argument, which isn't necessarily accurate. It's partly based on a pagan holiday, true, but you're not exactly celebrating the pagan holiday when you celebrate Christmas, otherwise you wouldn't be passing down the Santa Claus tradition to your kids (aka Saint Nicholas). So, let's be fair here.

On the flip side, we have this bizarre growth in fundamentalist groups, who take religion a bit too far. They wrap religion and nationalism into a single paradigm, completely forgetting the secular nature of the American Revolution (separation of Church and State). Have you ever seen their Sunday services? Pretty scary. Somehow, America is "God's chosen people/nation", and -you betcha- these folks backed the Iraq war, completely convinced that Muslims were intent on making America a Muslim country. And this, in turn, served the foreign policy goals of the neo-libs, intent on hiding the geopolitical reasons behind anti-Americanism. Nor are fundamentalists truly interested in defending and preserving American culture...they'll accuse atheists and non-religious folks of fighting a war on Christmas, but many fundamentalists themselves have a disdain for Halloween, an American tradition, as American as apple pie, brought by Anglo-Celtic settlers to [what was to become] the United States, and further evolving and flourishing into the fun American tradition that we know today. Some elementary schools now call it "Harvest Day" in order not to offend fundamentalists. So, when talking about the destruction of American culture, many fundamentalists need to look in the mirror. The fundamentalist right couldn't care less -for example- about the preservation of historical buildings in cities and towns across America (in fact their churches look like ugly 1980s office buildings), and for all their talk about "family values", they're not exactly at the forefront of promoting traditional pre-WWII urban planning (a platform of the urban left); neighborhoods are just as much a part of a society's social fabric as the family unit. But most fundamentalists would rather live in anti-social exurban settings, and have somehow convinced themselves that this is the "American dream", when it's really just a post-WWII consumerist notion.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: del
As many atheists say: Read the bible ... please ... cover to cover, they could always use more atheists.
I saw that and found it very sad. When we need to turn to God the most it seems our country is turning away. I'm curious as to what you atheists believe in. You believe we are born and die and that is it? Or do some of you feel there is something else and you just don't prescribe to any organized religion?

I love how just because I repeat an atheist proverb that often turns more true you assume I am, I follow the teaching of Bast and Anpu, thank you. No, they are not turning away from anything, they are in fact choosing to believe in things more tangible and things that have actually helped society. You forget that all we have in this world is because of science ... to embrace it is the only way to advance, religion is just to make you feel better and give you some interesting myths.

Why is it that so many can't see why people don't like chrisitian teachings as much in the US as they once use to? Really ... a teaching that tells people to stone someone for almost any reason ... a teaching that says that anyone who doesn't follow it is evil ... really ... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that people would rather live and let live than be told they are damned from birth and that everything they do is evil. The true evil is brainwashing of children many religious zealots still do.

Oh, and they are not turning away from any god, they are just changing how they worship.

Why does the stoning issue always come up with non-Christians. I guess it carries more shock value and feeds into the "crazy Christian zealot" idealogy. Stoning was practiced in the old testament before the teachings of Christ and only by the Jews. Christ did much to change some of the old traditions such as only Jews could be saved, stoning and etc so as far a modern Christianity, it is a non issue though it always seems to be the Athiest's top argument against Christianity.

As for why follow, it does seem to be a good question. That is something non-Christians can't understand as they are not of the faith. Also, why would anyone put up with the abuse the non-Christians spout almost daily on all message boards when the subject comes up.

One reason I think people aren't Christian is that it takes discipline, work, study that most people just don't have the desire to do anything to that extreme. It also takes faith which some just do not understand. That's why Christians are usually dismissed as crazy zealots because of this lack of understanding.

I often ask this question: Why do non-Christians care to spend their time and energy slamming Christians. Don't give me the fallacy that all Christians want to cram their belief system down non-believers throats...couldn't be farther from the truth. True Christians turn the other cheek as is taught in the Bible.

Mostly Christians pray which is not something the rest should be afraid of or worried about. As much as is written on these boards about tolerance for others, I find Christianity to be the least tolerated.

Why does the stoning issue always come up with non-Christians. I guess it carries more shock value and feeds into the "crazy Christian zealot" idealogy. Stoning was practiced in the old testament before the teachings of Christ and only by the Jews. Christ did much to change some of the old traditions such as only Jews could be saved, stoning and etc so as far a modern Christianity, it is a non issue though it always seems to be the Athiest's top argument against Christianity.

Judaism and Christianity are very closely related. It was Jewish prophets who laid down the conditions that the messiah would fulfill. Jews who rejected the idea that Jesus fulfilled those prophecies remained Jews, the others (including non-Jews) became Christians. Jesus basically was a Jew, though a liberal reformer who pointed out the hypocrisy of other Jews, e.g. when he said that whoever is sinless should cast the first stone. Christianity grew out of Judaism. The God of Judaism is generally seen as the "same God" as the Christian one. Moreso than between any other distinct religions.

Thus it was the same God who gave us Mosaic Law. Mosaic Law mandates the death penalty via stoning or burning for various offenses from adultery to rebelling against one's parents. Mosaic Law is a barbaric reflection of barbaric times, not anything approaching divine law. This reflects poorly upon the historical foundation of Christianity, but I wouldn't say it's the best argument against Christianity.

As for why follow, it does seem to be a good question. That is something non-Christians can't understand as they are not of the faith. Also, why would anyone put up with the abuse the non-Christians spout almost daily on all message boards when the subject comes up.

LOL. That's funny. You do know that atheists are in the minority here and are generally treated with distrust in American society? Why does the world put up with the abuses religions like Christianity and Islam have laid against it? Thankfully religion is tempered by secularism in many societies today.

One reason I think people aren't Christian is that it takes discipline, work, study that most people just don't have the desire to do anything to that extreme. It also takes faith which some just do not understand. That's why Christians are usually dismissed as crazy zealots because of this lack of understanding.

No it's primarily because it makes no sense (from a human perspective at least :lol:). Faith is belief without evidence or reason. It is anathema to the methods that have brought us scientific progress.

I often ask this question: Why do non-Christians care to spend their time and energy slamming Christians. Don't give me the fallacy that all Christians want to cram their belief system down non-believers throats...couldn't be farther from the truth. True Christians turn the other cheek as is taught in the Bible.

In a country where democratic processes are possible, widespread delusions are a problem. But as history of early Mormonism and Christianity demonstrates, trying to violently suppress any religion wouldn't work even if they weren't in the majority. That would only cause them to clutch onto their faith more strongly. It would also bring us down to their lowest moral level during times like the Inquisition and Crusades.

Religion can be used to cause people not to value their lives or the lives of others, as there is a deserved status reserved for anybody in the afterlife. Religion also causes people to hold on to ancient dogmas instead of critically analyzing society on whether the old rules still make sense, or even if they ever did.

Mostly Christians pray which is not something the rest should be afraid of or worried about. As much as is written on these boards about tolerance for others, I find Christianity to be the least tolerated.

Probably because it's the religion most of us have to deal with every day. It's not like I love Islam, I just don't interact with them on a regular basis and there aren't enough of them in my society to vote down equal rights for gays or to oppose abortion because they think the soul is created at conception or something. I know you didn't make that argument here, but just saying in general.

Oh yeah and statistics reveal that prayer doesn't affect the outcome of anything.

As many atheists say: Read the bible ... please ... cover to cover, they could always use more atheists.
I saw that and found it very sad. When we need to turn to God the most it seems our country is turning away. I'm curious as to what you atheists believe in. You believe we are born and die and that is it? Or do some of you feel there is something else and you just don't prescribe to any organized religion?

I think there is too much emphasis put on the title of "atheist" sometimes. To say im an atheist doesnt exactly describe me, because my disbelief in the bible is one of many things i dont believe in. There is a whole laundry list of things i wont believe in until i have proof.

The one thing religious people should understand is, for people like me, all it takes is to show me proof and i will concede on any of my beliefs. If you have a fantastic tale for me, all i ask for is proof. EVERY culture has stories about magic and gods, what makes yours any more special than the rest?

We all agree that the Scientologists are wack jobs for believing in all that crap about a galactic overlord named Xenu. We all agree that the Heavens Gate cult (those suicidle people who thought the Hale Bopp Comet was a spaceship) were out of their minds. Why dont you believe THEIR stories too? The reason is because for normal thinking people, it requires an enormous amount of proof before we believe in fantastic tales, except for some reason, you forego logic when it comes to your own religion.

As an "atheiest", its as easy for me to see how unlikely your religion is, as it is for you to do the same with Greek mythology or Indian sky gods. You know what im talking about....where you just know with pretty much absolute certainty that its a bunch of bullshit. THATS the feeling i get when i contemplate YOUR religion.

Last edited:

I love how just because I repeat an atheist proverb that often turns more true you assume I am, I follow the teaching of Bast and Anpu, thank you. No, they are not turning away from anything, they are in fact choosing to believe in things more tangible and things that have actually helped society. You forget that all we have in this world is because of science ... to embrace it is the only way to advance, religion is just to make you feel better and give you some interesting myths.

Why is it that so many can't see why people don't like chrisitian teachings as much in the US as they once use to? Really ... a teaching that tells people to stone someone for almost any reason ... a teaching that says that anyone who doesn't follow it is evil ... really ... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that people would rather live and let live than be told they are damned from birth and that everything they do is evil. The true evil is brainwashing of children many religious zealots still do.

Oh, and they are not turning away from any god, they are just changing how they worship.

You're painting with a broad brush. The only christians I slam are the obnoxious ones who condemn me for not goose stepping to their tune or who demand that their beliefs be legislated. There are other christians that are respectful and wouldn't dream of attacking others for their choice of beliefs (or non-belief). If you want to see intolerance, look up any newspaper article on atheism and watch the ignorance and hatred come out in the letters to the editor over the next few days.

We all agree that the Scientologists are wack jobs for believing in all that crap about a galactic overlord named Xenu. We all agree that the Heavens Gate cult (those suicidle people who thought the Hale Bopp Comet was a spaceship) were out of their minds. Why dont you believe THEIR stories too? The reason is because for normal thinking people, it requires an enormous amount of proof before we believe in fantastic tales, except for some reason, you forego logic when it comes to your own religion.

Exactly, and without evidence to support any of their assertions, the existence of the christian god or Allah or any other god is as plausible (or implausible) as the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I happen to believe that a giant hedgehog named Spiny Norman created the universe. Can I have that creation story taught in a science class with creationism?

Mostly Christians pray which is not something the rest should be afraid of or worried about. As much as is written on these boards about tolerance for others, I find Christianity to be the least tolerated

I don't think stoning in the old testament should ever be a top argument for an atheist, but reading your response raises some interesting questions.

Is the stoning in the old testament cruel or immoral? If so, then is it not the same god according to trinitarian doctrine that is in the new testament? If not, why does it matter if "jesus" changed it? Furthermore, why would any doctrine from a perfect god need to be changed? It seems the doctrine of a perfect god would be perfect and any change to that doctrine would be less perfect. Instituting a less than perfect doctrine when a perfect doctrine is possible would make god less than perfect.

Not all non-christians are ignorant of christian motivations. While they may not be "of the faith" currently, many of us have been faithful believers in the past. And what would you define faith as? You accuse unbelievers of a lack of understanding of faith, but yet do not offer to share your understanding. Faith, as a word, is defined as belief despite an absence of evidence. Is that how you understand it?

Finally, the idea that christian beliefs are crammed down people's throats is not a fallacy just because you don't define those people as "True Christians". I am sure many christians who believe differently don't consider you a "True Christian". It is circular reasoning that is used all too often. Real christians do/don't do x because people who do/don't do x are not real christians. I think until christians reach a level of consensus on doctrine at least comparable to that of evolution and global warming among scientists, then they should accept that they will receive criticism in broad terms rather than expect criticism to only focus on their particular interpretation.

Since when ... the Catholics are the worst of the bunch. Most other christians are at least willing to accept the possibility of being wrong. Catholics were also the first to start killing and torturing others in other religions ... especially the witches (which is just another religion). Today they continue to work to expel all other religions from areas they are the majority.

Please tell us where this is taking place? In North America? In South America? In Europe? In Asia? In Africa? Please site some examples. Then compare those examples to those of Muslim aggression.

Not all ways are violent ... just because they are not being shot doesn't make it less.

In other words, as usual, you are full of shit. hey thanks for proving it once again.

Please tell us where this is taking place? In North America? In South America? In Europe? In Asia? In Africa? Please site some examples. Then compare those examples to those of Muslim aggression.

Not all ways are violent ... just because they are not being shot doesn't make it less.

In other words, as usual, you are full of shit. hey thanks for proving it once again.

Christians are NOT violent. There may be exceptions, but the exceptions dont make the rule. By and large, Christians dont go out and hurt people or kill people. I may have ciriticisms about how stupid it is to believe in christianity, but that doesnt make them bad people.

Muslims on the other hand are a different story. Not all religions are equal.

Last edited:

So, by and large, Muslims do go out and hurt people or kill people? I eagerly await the data that I'm sure you'll provide to substantiate your argument that most Muslims commit acts of violence. Claiming that Christians are less prone to violence than Muslims or any other religious group is silly.

So, by and large, Muslims do go out and hurt people or kill people? I eagerly await the data that I'm sure you'll provide to substantiate your argument that most Muslims commit acts of violence. Claiming that Christians are less prone to violence than Muslims or any other religious group is silly.

Wherever you have a predominately Islamic nation, you have problems with Islamic extremism. We are talking about dudes that will blow themselves up on a playground full of children. Their targets are always innocent people and usually a crowd of them. This is a unique problem only muslims have.

Not all religions are equal.

Wherever you have a predominately Islamic nation, you have problems with Islamic extremism. We are talking about dudes that will blow themselves up on a playground full of children. Their targets are always innocent people and usually a crowd of them. This is a unique problem only muslims have.

I'm not sure if the extremism is based upon a difference between Christians and Muslims. After all, throughout history Christian nations have done terrible things. What has changed?

I'm not sure if the extremism is based upon a difference between Christians and Muslims. After all, throughout history Christian nations have done terrible things. What has changed?

Christians have evolved, where muslims have not, and this is why the muslim culture is inferior to the rest of the world. They are still dealing with problems that christians and others did away with centuries ago, and theyve also added a few new problems in the past couple decades.

Last edited:
(CNN) -- America is a less Christian nation than it was 20 years ago, and Christianity is not losing out to other religions, but primarily to a rejection of religion altogether, a survey published Monday found.

I fought a long battle with this question for about 10 years in my 20s. I first explored a bunch of organized christian religions. Took an intellectual peek at some non-christian religions. Looked at organized religion as a concept from the 10,000 foot level and decided to reject it. Then I struggled with whether I really believed there was no God (or whatever) or if I was an agnostic or a Deist. I tried each on for a while but none of them felt accurate.

From observation and anecdote it became apparent that there is connectivity at some level between people and that there is no scientifically explicable way this connectivity could occur. For instance, we've all heard about twins that feel pain or whatever the communication is when the other is injured. Or the the mother that knows something has happened to a child or you get the idea. If any of this is true, even one example, then there is something else.

This did not lead me to "find God" exactly, but it was enough to not completely reject. The most satisfactory explanation I've found is in the various pagan explanations. So I remain pagan, though not aligned with any specific sect.

I fought a long battle with this question for about 10 years in my 20s. I first explored a bunch of organized christian religions. Took an intellectual peek at some non-christian religions. Looked at organized religion as a concept from the 10,000 foot level and decided to reject it. Then I struggled with whether I really believed there was no God (or whatever) or if I was an agnostic or a Deist. I tried each on for a while but none of them felt accurate.

From observation and anecdote it became apparent that there is connectivity at some level between people and that there is no scientifically explicable way this connectivity could occur. For instance, we've all heard about twins that feel pain or whatever the communication is when the other is injured. Or the the mother that knows something has happened to a child or you get the idea. If any of this is true, even one example, then there is something else.

This did not lead me to "find God" exactly, but it was enough to not completely reject. The most satisfactory explanation I've found is in the various pagan explanations. So I remain pagan, though not aligned with any specific sect.
Interesting. Did you know that women keep cells from their children in their bodies...so that could explain the "knowing" when your kid is hurt. Then again, I've been convinced more than once that something happened to one of my children to be happily proven wrong.

Christians have evolved, where muslims have not, and this is why the muslim culture is inferior to the rest of the world. They are still dealing with problems that christians and others did away with centuries ago, and theyve also added a few new problems in the past couple decades.

I have to agree with this, many christians are evolving even today and learning truths and tolerance, while most muslims are not.

Interesting. Did you know that women keep cells from their children in their bodies...so that could explain the "knowing" when your kid is hurt. Then again, I've been convinced more than once that something happened to one of my children to be happily proven wrong.

Cells have telepathy with each other?

Lol. I guess that's MUCH more reasonable than believing in a superior being, angels and such.

None of this matters unless you can demonstrate beyond any doubt that the Islamic religion itself is what motivates these men to do whatever they do. Your suggestion that correlation implies causation is logically fallacious.

I don't blame Christianity for any of these Christian atrocities:
BBC NEWS | World | Africa | Profile: Uganda's LRA rebels
Lord's Resistance Army (LRA)
Mass rape in the Bosnian War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
National Liberation Front of Tripura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Christian Terrorism in Northeast India
Eric Robert Rudolph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shall I go on?

I suspect that you don't know enough about either religion to make that judgment.

Claiming that the problems of the Islamic world are attributable to the religion itself makes no sense.

The Islamic world in the Middle Ages: Islamic Golden Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During that same period of time, most of Europe was a war-ravaged hellhole.

The current state of the Islamic world is attributable to, among other things, European imperialism and colonialism during the 20th century.

None of this matters unless you can demonstrate beyond any doubt that the Islamic religion itself is what motivates these men to do whatever they do. Your suggestion that correlation implies causation is logically fallacious.

I dont care to waste my time demostrating what everyone already knows. Of course its their religion that motivates them, because they scream "Allahu Akbar!" just before the commit each of their beheadings, suicicde bombings or any other murderous activity they happen to be up to that day. You would have to be a complete retard or a Muslim in denial to think they are motivated by anything other than Islam.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back