god slimes people's lungs

If you are a Moslem as opposed to a Christian, your very self-identification tells me that you are announcing islamism to be right, and Christianity to be wrong-- unless you are purposely following a doctrine you believe is wrong (I suppose some people might do that, but whatever for?).
Then you are putting your words into the mouth of another. I am Catholic, and that only says that it is the Catholic faith that led me to God. My best friend is Presbyterian, and that only told me that is the faith that led to God. My goddaughter is Jewish, which tells me her path to God. My daughter's roommate is Hindu which tells me her path to God. Many of my fine students are Muslim, which is their path to God.

Now, if you were to ask me which way would I recommend to someone who had no knowledge or preference, but wanted to seek God, I would recommend the Catholic faith, because out of all the others it is the faith I know, and I also know that it deposited me directly before God. If this person were to ask my best friend, my goddaughter, my daughter's roommate or one of my fine students the best way to seek God, I fully expect that each of them would recommend the way that worked for them. God meets people where they are.

I find it difficult to believe that any Hindu will accept your comment.
But I am not asking Hindus--or members of any other faith--to accept my comment. I have my perspective, and they have another. If I am not about to rob anyone of his/her belongings, I am certainly not going to rob anyone of his/her perspective. I have got to be who I am. Everyone else is taken. ;)

If you are a Moslem as opposed to a Christian, your very self-identification tells me that you are announcing islamism to be right, and Christianity to be wrong-- unless you are purposely following a doctrine you believe is wrong (I suppose some people might do that, but whatever for?).
Then you are putting your words into the mouth of another. I am Catholic, and that only says that it is the Catholic faith that led me to God. My best friend is Presbyterian, and that only told me that is the faith that led to God. My goddaughter is Jewish, which tells me her path to God. My daughter's roommate is Hindu which tells me her path to God. Many of my fine students are Muslim, which is their path to God.

Now, if you were to ask me which way would I recommend to someone who had no knowledge or preference, but wanted to seek God, I would recommend the Catholic faith, because out of all the others it is the faith I know, and I also know that it deposited me directly before God. If this person were to ask my best friend, my goddaughter, my daughter's roommate or one of my fine students the best way to seek God, I fully expect that each of them would recommend the way that worked for them. God meets people where they are.
That's actually true. Happenstance of place of birth and parentage seems to determine which gods meet people where they are. The Hindu gods seem to prefer spending their time in and around India and Asia. Buddha seems to prefer the climate in Indonesia, Allah has a preference for the Middle East and North Africa and the tall, fair-skinned, blue-eyed, Caucasian-looking Jesus likes things in the west.

Evidence and reason has lead me to conclude that creationism/supernaturalism is inferior to the alternatives I have studied.
Yes. However each one of us should keep in mind what is said about conclusions. It is often labels the point where we stopped exploring or thinking. For example, while Catholicism has led to studying many Christian denominations and certainly the Jewish faith--even a bit of the Islamic faith--I haven't really explored the Hindu, Shinto, Buddhist or the numerous pagan faiths. I love studying science, and there, too, is an avenue where one can never reach the end.

That's actually true. Happenstance of place of birth and parentage seems to determine which gods meet people where they are. The Hindu gods seem to prefer spending their time in and around India and Asia. Buddha seems to prefer the climate in Indonesia, Allah has a preference for the Middle East and North Africa and the tall, fair-skinned, blue-eyed, Caucasian-looking Jesus likes things in the west.
Yes. God reaches each of us where we are in ways to which we can relate.

Why does God allow suffering and evil? Christians can answer:

1) It is good for God to give people freedom, but some people misuse their freedom and reject Jesus' call for forgiveness, kindness, and human dignity.

2) God also gives angels freedom. Some angels are fallen (like Satan) and cause suffering - for example bringing about natural disasters.

Satan and the Corruption of Nature: Seven Arguments – ReKnew
-
Book Review: Satan and the Problem of Evil: Constructing a Trinitarian Warfare Theodicy - Gregory A. Boyd

Alvin Plantinga has also written about
natural evil.

Satan has suffered defeats, but he is still powerful:
satan_michael.jpg

Ephesians 6:12 - For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

3) Suffering can lead to good. I'm sure we can all think of times when suffering has led to personal growth. What would life be without challenges? Should we spend our lives lounging on comfy pillows eating potato chips and watching reruns while someone tells us how wonderful we are?

4) The earthly death we suffer is not the end, but the beginning.

5) God's noble goals come intertwined with suffering.

Dr. Francis Collins: the same forces that produced a life-sustaining planet including the laws of physics, chemistry, weather and tectonics, can also produce natural disasters.

Here's John Polkinghorne: Cosmic Questions - Polkinghorne: The Problem of Evil

Forum List

Back