GA/Stand Your Ground/Alzheimer's Patient

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
DA to look at stand your ground law over Alzheimer's patient... | www.ajc.com

<The Walker County District Attorney says he will have a meeting in two weeks to determine if the shooting death of an Alzheimer's patient is a stand your ground case.

"I feel like he should have waited inside the home unless there was more of an immediate threat," said Sheriff Steven Wilson, who says he knows some people will disagree.

Wilson says an immediate threat would have been someone trying to bust down the door of the Walker County home.

Instead, he says 72-year-old Alzheimer's patient Ronald Westbrook rang the doorbell, knocked on the door and then walked around to the back of the home Joe Hendrix, 34, and his fiancé are renting.

"Then he leaves again a second time," explained Wilson.

While Hendrix's fiancé was on the phone with a dispatcher for 10 minutes, investigators say Joe Hendrix armed himself and confronted the Air Force veteran on the side of the home.

"Hendrix says he continues coming and advancing toward him," Wilson said.

Wilson says Hendrix pulled out his gun, fired four times and killed Westbrook.

Wilson personally knows Westbrook from church, and says he suffers from dementia and was nearly 3 miles from his home Wednesday morning.

Channel 2's Craig Lucie asked the sheriff if Hendrix broke any laws.

"There's no law that I have been able to find that says he broke any law by exiting his home to protect his property," Wilson explained.

Wilson says the case may fall under Georgia's 2006 stand your ground law, but it's up to the district attorney to make that call.>

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out why a 34 year old man needs to shoot an elderly man who was unarmed and suffering from Alzheimers 4 times.

I'm trying to figure out why a 34 year old man needs to shoot an elderly man who was unarmed and suffering from Alzheimers 4 times.

?stay tuned?

I hope they can find a better way to resolve this than another Zimmerman trial. Not certain we have any attorneys that can compare to Mark O'Mara. Fairly certain he would not be interested in getting into this.

What can be said--'You must use common sense to operate a weapon'.

Over and over again.

~~~
Walker County GA--NW, near the Tennessee line. Never been there--assume many are hard core conservatives. If there is any follow up I will update.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_County,_Georgia

Early last year in the metro Atlanta area a man shot at a car in his driveway--he was convicted. Things are different in some areas. shrug.

Last edited:
DA to look at stand your ground law over Alzheimer's patient... | www.ajc.com

<The Walker County District Attorney says he will have a meeting in two weeks to determine if the shooting death of an Alzheimer's patient is a stand your ground case.

......Wilson says the case may fall under Georgia's 2006 stand your ground law, but it's up to the district attorney to make that call.>

I lost my mother to Alzheimer's in 2000. Remembering the way she suffered, as do all Alzheimer's patients, the short term memory is effected the greatest, as they can't remember what they did 5 minutes beforehand.
As it relates to this case, it seems to me that the only reason that Westbrook returned to Hendrix' home may be that he didn't remember going there the first time, or the second.
Hendrix had the choice of staying inside until Westbrook left once again..
IMO, unless it can be proven that Westbrook was armed and posed a significant threat to Hendrix, his family or property, "Stand your ground" doesn't pertain here and Hendrix should be prosecuted for the wrongful death of Westbrook.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back