For 40 Years, Philly Mayors Have Promised to End Poverty. For 40 Years, I’ve Watched Them Fail.

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
There are so many poor folk in Philadelphia that in March, City Council President Darrell L. Clarke announced a plan that would lift 100,000 of them out of poverty over the next four years.

One major part of the plan is to just hand them cash, à la Andrew Yang. “Call me crazy — I’m just optimistic this will happen,” Clarke said at the news conference.

Five months earlier, Mayor Jim Kenney made his own announcement on poverty. He boasted that the city’s economy had improved so much that 15,000 poor folks had left poverty behind. But when poor folks become working poor folks, it’s still a slippery slope.

When you live below the poverty line (currently $12,760 a year for an individual, or $21,720 for a family of three), every problem is a crisis. Housing insecurity turns into chronic homelessness. Poor schools become dropout factories. Job problems morph into long-term unemployment. Hunger intrudes. Irritations explode into violence.

Take COVID-19. Within 10 days of Governor Tom Wolf’s closure of all non-essential businesses, 645,000 Pennsylvanians, many thousands of them low-wage workers, had filed for unemployment.

This is an interesting commentary specifically because it shows the history of attempts to solve poverty but is either lip service or is just...........stupid. What I am most impressed by is that these plans aren't plans. I think that it's going to continue until people ask better questions from candidates. It's a bit lengthy.

1599448589766.png

"Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People abdicated our duties; for the People once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions - everything, not restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things; bread and circuses."
Juvenal

*****SMILE*****

:)

Individuals in poverty should not be having sex and getting impregnated which invariably results in another wave of low IQ individuals with behavior problems such as murder, assault, rape, robbery, overdosing on Fent and or Meth, etc. The Planet of the Apes is literally upon us.

View attachment 385451

"Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People abdicated our duties; for the People once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions - everything, not restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things; bread and circuses."
Juvenal

*****SMILE*****

Juvenal was the shizzle.

Sometimes I think that this country has been so distracted with the Real Housewives of DC that they have no problem paying off whatever little gangster team tells them they are special.

There are so many poor folk in Philadelphia that in March, City Council President Darrell L. Clarke announced a plan that would lift 100,000 of them out of poverty over the next four years.

One major part of the plan is to just hand them cash, à la Andrew Yang. “Call me crazy — I’m just optimistic this will happen,” Clarke said at the news conference.

Five months earlier, Mayor Jim Kenney made his own announcement on poverty. He boasted that the city’s economy had improved so much that 15,000 poor folks had left poverty behind. But when poor folks become working poor folks, it’s still a slippery slope.

When you live below the poverty line (currently $12,760 a year for an individual, or $21,720 for a family of three), every problem is a crisis. Housing insecurity turns into chronic homelessness. Poor schools become dropout factories. Job problems morph into long-term unemployment. Hunger intrudes. Irritations explode into violence.

Take COVID-19. Within 10 days of Governor Tom Wolf’s closure of all non-essential businesses, 645,000 Pennsylvanians, many thousands of them low-wage workers, had filed for unemployment.

This is an interesting commentary specifically because it shows the history of attempts to solve poverty but is either lip service or is just...........stupid. What I am most impressed by is that these plans aren't plans. I think that it's going to continue until people ask better questions from candidates. It's a bit lengthy.
..you can't fix stupid...you can give stupid people a million $ and they would still be poor
..the other thing is you can't tell these people they are ''stupid'''--that would be RACIST/politically incorrect/etc ...if you tried to tell them what the real problem is, they would go apeshit

Employment is at the will of either party in any at-will employment State. That means the People should be able to obtain unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed.

Right wingers simply don't care about the laws when it is about the Poor.

Juvenal was the shizzle.

Sometimes I think that this country has been so distracted with the Real Housewives of DC that they have no problem paying off whatever little gangster team tells them they are special.

1599485294441.png

“There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.”
Robert A. Heinlein

*****SMILE*****

Employment is at the will of either party in any at-will employment State. That means the People should be able to obtain unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed.

When industries and schools within many of those areas want to build or upgrade things, the people won't allow much of it. They let in what they want and to their advantage. That means they are comfortable with the system as is.

What happened to LBJ's "War on Poor People"?

You didn't bother to read it. At all.

Some of your biggest poverty pimps are Democrats.

What happened to LBJ's "War on Poor People"?
For profit education, Medicare and Medicaid fraud, etc. Not to mention the generational poverty and intergnerational substance abuse issues.

When industries and schools within many of those areas want to build or upgrade things, the people won't allow much of it. They let in what they want and to their advantage. That means they are comfortable with the system as is.
How many of them can afford justice under our form of Capitalism? Income or wealth is a requirement under Capitalism.

“The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.”

― Anatole France

Only the right wing "hates on the Poor" and complains about "illegals" when they don't care about the laws to begin with. Only practitioners of the abomination of hypocrisy (unto God), do that.

Only the right wing "hates on the Poor" and complains about "illegals" when they don't care about the laws to begin with. Only practitioners of the abomination of hypocrisy (unto God), do that.

Wrong answer. You did not read the article and you do not have anything to contribute.

Forum List

Back