Food stamps or junk food stamps?

Bologna isn't junk food.

People bologna and hot dogs because they're cheap. When you can get a full package of hot dogs for $.69, compared to $8 for a chicken, guess what you're going to consider?

Bologna and hot dogs are crap. They can buy raw chicken when it's on sale for $1.99/lb and cook it themselves. Better food, better nutrition.

Why do they hand out cash anyway? If a family gets say $300/month in food stamps, why don't they have something like $75 voucher for meat/seafood; $75 for dairy/eggs; $75 for fruits/veggies, etc. and list what is included as "meat" or "dairy" or "fruit/veggies". (I'm just randomly throwing out numbers here)

I used to work check out at a grocery store and I remember that WIC folks could only buy certain items with their 'WIC' cash/card. That's changed I take it?

Some things are obvious, like candy. But you just can't say a bag of potato chips is universally unhealthy for EVERYONE.

No, not universally. But you can say it is prohibitively expensive.

A lb of potatoes costs what? A lb of corn oil costs what?

A lb of potato chips costs what?

Potato chips cost at least 10 times as much as the same base ingredients sold in bulk.

Let them make their own chips.

BUT I also know that our food industry went political in the 40s -70s with the war rationing and the green revolution and the results of the great experiment are far more obesity, far more heart disease, far more diabetes.

Vegetable oils are not food and never existed before the 40's. Neither did clogged arteries.

But when agribusiness, the green revolution and wartime rationing gathered around the idea of first replacing butter with white margarine and then engineering a whole food industry that was all based on corn and soy, and the junk food byproducts of corn and soy, shit hit the fan decade by decade as the results of the great world wide food experiment bore fruit.

But now we have 7 billion people on earth and there is no way to turn back the mechanism, esp since the agribusiness industry and food processing industry won't allow it.

Our health insurance costs are rising at some dramatic annual rate largely because of the poisonous food we eat.

Junk food should be legal like meth is legal. If you can buy corn syrup sweetened sodas with food stamps you should be able to buy cigarettes or rock cocaine with them as well.

In fact it might improve your health to do so rather than eat poisonous junk non-food.

This thread is BEGGING for somebody to haul out the old maxim: "let them eat carrots, or real nutritious food".

"Let them eat cake" is more appropriate.

It's charity. the givers get to determine what they give and how they give it. So if we change it to be used only for nutritious food, there's nothing wrong with that. They don't have to take it.

Some things are obvious, like candy. But you just can't say a bag of potato chips is universally unhealthy for EVERYONE.

Potato chips cost at least 10 times as much as the same base ingredients sold in bulk.

BUT I also know that our food industry went political in the 40s -70s with the war rationing and the green revolution and the results of the great experiment are far more obesity, far more heart disease, far more diabetes.

Vegetable oils are not food and never existed before the 40's. Neither did clogged arteries.

But when agribusiness, the green revolution and wartime rationing gathered around the idea of first replacing butter with white margarine and then engineering a whole food industry that was all based on corn and soy, and the junk food byproducts of corn and soy, shit hit the fan decade by decade as the results of the great world wide food experiment bore fruit.

But now we have 7 billion people on earth and there is no way to turn back the mechanism, esp since the agribusiness industry and food processing industry won't allow it.

Our health insurance costs are rising at some dramatic annual rate largely because of the poisonous food we eat.

Junk food should be legal like meth is legal. If you can buy corn syrup sweetened sodas with food stamps you should be able to buy cigarettes or rock cocaine with them as well.

In fact it might improve your health to do so rather than eat poisonous junk non-food.

Clogged arteries didn't exist before the 1940s?

I was with you until that little gem. And no food should be illegal, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Obviously you have some major food issues. I'm sorry.

This thread is BEGGING for somebody to haul out the old maxim: "let them eat carrots, or real nutritious food".

"Let them eat cake" is more appropriate.

It's charity. the givers get to determine what they give and how they give it. So if we change it to be used only for nutritious food, there's nothing wrong with that. They don't have to take it.

Carrot cake.

some abuse it , no doubt, but no others take advantage of the program to provide nutrition for their families that they otherwise wouldn't have.

I was with you until that little gem. And no food should be illegal, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Obviously you have some major food issues. I'm sorry.

It isn't food. And I have read reports from doctors in which they flatly state that they had never seen most of what we call heart disease until the rampant vegetable oil revolution occurred in the 40s.

They had never heard of clogged arteries.

You wanna read a book?

Why not just get regular corn and save on dental bills.

Syrenn wouldn't even go that far. Bread and water only.

Ah, but what kind of bread? We can't be letting them buy white bread, that shit is JUNK and will only give them health problems down the road and we'll be footing their medical bills for the rest of their pathetic lives :rolleyes:

Arnold Oatnut bread...delicious AND nutritious!!!

It isn't food. And I have read reports from doctors in which they flatly state that they had never seen most of what we call heart disease until the rampant vegetable oil revolution occurred in the 40s.

You wanna read a book?

What book do you want him to read?

How about this:

natural-harvest-1-semen.jpg

You wanna read a book?

What book do you want him to read?

How about this:

natural-harvest-1-semen.jpg

Do you want to vomit?

Read on...

ALMOST WHITE RUSSIAN

2 oz Vodka
1 oz Coffee liqueur
1/2 oz semen
cream or milk
ice cubes

Pour vodka, semen and coffee liqueur over ice cubes and top up the glass with milk or cream.

MAN MADE OYSTERS

Cleaned oyster shells
Chilled fresh semen, the more the better
Ice
Lemon and pepper garnish

First clean the oyster shells in cold water. Do not use soap since the shell easily absorbs the nasty taste of soap. Spoon the chilled, fresh semen into each shell. Serve simply on ice with just a squeeze of fresh lemon and maybe a grind of black pepper.

Chef's note: A true semen connoisseur might forego the lemon and pepper in favor of the non-adulterated semen flavor.

not that book. But there is a wealth of info in print that details the great food or non food experiment that we are all living here in junk food nation.

I don't suppose anybody has noticed that obesity and diabetes are epidemic?

some abuse it , no doubt, but no others take advantage of the program to provide nutrition for their families that they otherwise wouldn't have.

Yeah, but because some are idiots, we apparently shouldn't be able to have nice things.

You gotta love it when we default to changes based on the bad apples rather than the good ones.

Are food stamps "food" stamps or all you can eat junk food stamps?

Considering that the government is now telling us what we can and cant eat, should or shouldn't eat, should be be limiting foods that you can and cant purchase with food stamps?

We are banning sodas from schools and city property because they are bad for your health. We are telling corporations what they can and cant sell. I.E. McD's happy meals having to many calories and fat and forcing company's to get rid of trans fats in food.

My question is should the food stamp program allow "junk" food to be purchased on tax payers dollars? Should soda, chips, candy, pre-made cookies and cakes now be disallowed?

I was always under the impression that the food stamps program was to provide the necessities. I would consider soda, candy and junk/snack food as luxuries.

The problem is that it's just a specific amount of money allotted to the individual. It will still cost taxpayers the same amount of money whether they spend it on junk, or on necessities.

And then you have the slippery slope issue of constituting 'necessity' and who should have that authority. You're delving into dictating people's lives now, and that's hardly conservative, ideologically speaking.

Someone's opinion that junk food will ultimately lead to bad health and extra medical expenses is just an opinion. There is more to health than just diet, and exercise happens to be just as important, and FREE.

A healthy exercise regiment can easily balance out a less than healthy diet, so that's a poor justification for regulating the purchasing.

A well presented post. I can only agree. No more control. Sorry Michelle Obama Mama. You and yours, tend to your own needs and leave the lives of others to their own choices.

Yeah, but because some are idiots, we apparently shouldn't be able to have nice things.

You gotta love it when we default to changes based on the bad apples rather than the good ones.

As I've said, of all the government waste out there, this is and should be a low priority.

Bologna isn't junk food.

People bologna and hot dogs because they're cheap. When you can get a full package of hot dogs for $.69, compared to $8 for a chicken, guess what you're going to consider?

Bologna and hot dogs are crap. They can buy raw chicken when it's on sale for $1.99/lb and cook it themselves. Better food, better nutrition.

Why do they hand out cash anyway? If a family gets say $300/month in food stamps, why don't they have something like $75 voucher for meat/seafood; $75 for dairy/eggs; $75 for fruits/veggies, etc. and list what is included as "meat" or "dairy" or "fruit/veggies". (I'm just randomly throwing out numbers here)

I used to work check out at a grocery store and I remember that WIC folks could only buy certain items with their 'WIC' cash/card. That's changed I take it?

1.99 a pound is still about 3x as expensive as a pound of hot dogs. That means something to people who have multiple mouths to feed.

And regarding clogged arteries...they weren't identified before the 40s because there was no such thing as open heart surgery or many of the diagnostic capabilities we developed in the second half of the 20th century. So no, nobody "saw" clogged arteries. Just as nobody "saw" viruses prior to the 20th century.

Bologna isn't junk food.

1.99 a pound is still about 3x as expensive as a pound of hot dogs. That means something to people who have multiple mouths to feed.

Hot dogs aren't considered unhealthy junk to you?

Hot dogs aren't considered unhealthy junk to you?

Hot dogs are better for you than Twinkies.

Forum List

Back