Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

understand the answer.

Going to Ellis Island is legal. Why be illegal.
it's a long walk from the border to NY.
it is a long walk to the border where questions may be asked, unlike on our Island where our Statue is at.
Dude the immigrant is not going to be bussed from the southern border to one of the northern most states to go through immigration procedures. Especially one who has no money.

understand the answer.

it is a long walk to the border where questions may be asked, unlike on our Island where our Statue is at.
Dude the immigrant is not going to be bussed from the southern border to one of the northern most states to go through immigration procedures. Especially one who has no money.
we should have never closed the Island.

Trump offered to meet, Dems refused. It is their shut down.

Funny. Why meet with him? He wants $5 billion for wall - Nancy says NO. Go Nancy! Trump shut the government down.
President Trump is tougher on Russia in 18 months than Obama in eight years

Obama addresses Russian students with policy speech | DW | 07.07.2009
Tuesday's meeting was a symbol of change in US-Russia relations

Earlier on Tuesday, Obama paid a visit to Prime Minister Vladimir Putin at his country estate just outside the Russian capital.

4461351_404.jpg

Tuesday's meeting was a symbol of change in US-Russia relations

Obama and Putin, meeting for the first time, exchanged words of praise and showed a willingness to mend relations, despite on-going areas of contention, including difference over NATO expansion, Iran's nuclear ambitions and human rights concerns.
upload_2019-1-6_13-43-26.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-6_13-35-48.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-6_13-35-48.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DF32C31F-45D7-40AC-BB05-21FE2E696A6C.jpeg
    DF32C31F-45D7-40AC-BB05-21FE2E696A6C.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Where are all the "Corporation U.S. plot" enthusiasts? They should be all over suing and taking over the big, nasty corporation they thing the U.S. government really is. It would be a tremendous joke of history if the U.S.S.R. went out of business and the U.S. had a hostile takeover, both victims of capitalism.

understand the answer.

You're so obsessed with the island that you think it's the answer to the whole illegal immigration issue. Obviously, it's not, but you're incapable of seeing that someone who doesn't want to take the legal route into the states will NOT go to Ellis Island. They will walk across the border.

The union said employees can’t be forced to work without pay.

A union representing federal workers sued the government Monday over the partial shutdown, saying it was illegal to have hundreds of thousands of employees work without pay during the funding lapse.

The American Federation of Government Employees filed the lawsuit on the shutdown’s 10th day, with no signs of an imminent resolution between Congress and the White House. The union said withholding the pay of workers who continue to clock in during the shutdown runs afoul of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Great Depression-era law establishing a minimum wage and overtime pay.

“This is not an acceptable way for any employer, let alone the U.S. government, to treat its employees,” Heidi Burakiewicz, a lawyer representing the workers, said in a statement. “These employees still need to pay childcare expenses, buy gas, and incur other expenses to go to work every day and yet, they are not getting paid. It is a blatant violation.”

Some 380,000 federal employees have been furloughed during the shutdown, meaning they are out of a job until lawmakers reach a funding agreement. But another 420,000 are continuing to work in “essential” capacities such as in law enforcement, but are not being paid.

After previous shutdowns, Congress has passed legislation to retroactively pay furloughed employees and those who worked through the closures. But in the meantime, all those workers have bills to pay. Those who don’t have deep enough savings will face some hard choices if the shutdown continues to grind on.

AFGE previously sued the government under the same claims after the 2013 shutdown, which lasted 16 days. A judge later ruled that around 25,000 workers were owed double pay due to damages.

More: Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

Sounds reasonable to me. What do you think?

They will probably win the suit six months from now and get back pay minus legal fees. They could wair 6 more weeks instead and get back pay.

This is blah blah blah. The lawsuit would determine the government has to pay what they owe. The government still wouldn't have authorization to pay the lawsuit. lol Some people are so against thinking that it makes me wish I was a dishonest man with lots of business ideas. People refuse to think but love to feel good. This premise is dumb.

Blame the Democrats, if they had helped pass a 2019 budget, none of this would be happening.

BULLSHIT

Yes, that was my thought about what the Democrats did too.

Really, you thought? Please share your thinking, I'm very curious how a party - the Republican - which holds the majority in both chambers, the White House and the Supreme Court can't get anything done.

Budgets require more than a simple majority to pass. Are you playing stupid or just being normal stupid?

Blame the Democrats, if they had helped pass a 2019 budget, none of this would be happening.

BULLSHIT

Really, you thought? Please share your thinking, I'm very curious how a party - the Republican - which holds the majority in both chambers, the White House and the Supreme Court can't get anything done.

FYI: Republicans don't control the house. Besides, the house has about 25 renegade Republicans that vote no on everything because they never want to be blamed for anything. They are only concerned about self preservation instead of party loyalty. Trump called them out by name but didn't endorse their opponents in the Republican primaries. So much for draining the swamp.

understand the answer.

You're so obsessed with the island that you think it's the answer to the whole illegal immigration issue. Obviously, it's not, but you're incapable of seeing that someone who doesn't want to take the legal route into the states will NOT go to Ellis Island. They will walk across the border.
you understand nothing, but are willing to gossip anyway.

BULLSHIT

Budgets require more than a simple majority to pass. Are you playing stupid or just being normal stupid?

I'm not stupid and you are clearly naive. The R's do not compromise; why would anyone vote for a budget which violates their principles and values?

BULLSHIT

I'm not stupid and you are clearly naive. The R's do not compromise; why would anyone vote for a budget which violates their principles and values?

So what you are saying is that adding 1.48 trillion dollars to the national debt is part of the Repub principles and values?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back