Biden Gives Federal Workers Largest Pay Raise In Over 40 Years

Jim...

1.9% of all employed people in the US are employed by the Fed Govt, and that includes the military.

Do you really think that 1.9% of the workforce getting a 5.2% raise is going to increase the cost of goods by any significant amount, especially when those people are spread out all over the country and the globe?

are you really this stupid?

Tsk tsk tsk.

Independentthinker is correct.

At a national level, deficit spending raises prices by devaluing the dollar, of course.

And at the local level, higher salaries also raise prices on everything.

DC has a the highest home prices in the nation by far, and it's because of the bloated federal salaries...

plsq7ngtye921.jpg

Jim...

1.9% of all employed people in the US are employed by the Fed Govt, and that includes the military.

Do you really think that 1.9% of the workforce getting a 5.2% raise is going to increase the cost of goods by any significant amount, especially when those people are spread out all over the country and the globe?

You got a downvote from me on your prior comment because you called him stupid and included no other content to explain why you disagreed with his sensible statement.

You got a downvote from me on your prior comment because you called him stupid and included no other content to explain why you disagreed with his sensible statement.

His statement was not sensible. So, tell me do you think that 1.9% of the workforce getting a 5.2% raise is going to increase the cost of goods by any significant amount, especially when those people are spread out all over the country and the globe?

There are 3,144 (three thousand one hundred and forty four) Counties in the USA.

If you look at this list of Counties in the WASHINGTON DC Metropolitan Statistical Area, you will find every single one of them either AT THE TOP or in the top 50 of the wealthiest counties in the Country.

RankCounty or
Equivalent
StateMedian
Household
Income
1Loudoun CountyVirginia Virginia$147,111
2Falls ChurchVirginia Virginia$146,922

More facts on the Fed workforce....

Since 1970 the population of the US has grown by 67% while the Fed Govt workforce has grown by 3%

The total number of people employed in the US since 1970 has grown by 120% while the number of Fed employees has grown by 3%

are you really this stupid?
So increased wages don't increase prices? Increases in national debt don't lead to increased inflation? Where do you think these increased federal wages come from? They come in the form of of either increased national debt or increases in printed money, or both, which leads to more inflation. In case you never took economics, increases in inflation increase the prices of goods and services.

So increased wages don't increase prices?

Increasing the wages for 1.9% of the total work force will not increase prices when that 1.9% is spread out all around the country and world.

Increases in national debt don't lead to increased inflation?

the amount of money this raise will cost the Fed Govt is less than 1 F-22. Fed employee salary is a tiny part of the Fed Govt budget.

It's an Executive Function. Congress has no say in it.
True, but they are constrained by their funding. For example, if they are underfunded then they can’t hire enough immigration judges to speed up the processing of asylum requests and you end up dragging out for years. It is also not uncommon for for Congress to underfund agencies they don’t agree with.

Because they are living on fixed incomes.
How does that make it “more” deserving than an underpaid worker who can’t afford the cost of living? I don’t think we should be pitting one against the other.

There are 3,144 (three thousand one hundred and forty four) Counties in the USA.

If you look at this list of Counties in the WASHINGTON DC Metropolitan Statistical Area, you will find every single one of them either AT THE TOP or in the top 50 of the wealthiest counties in the Country.

RankCounty or
Equivalent
StateMedian
Household
Income
1Loudoun CountyVirginia Virginia$147,111
2Falls ChurchVirginia Virginia$146,922
They are also among the most expensive to live in and only 15% of the federal workforce works in the DC metropolitan area.

His statement was not sensible. So, tell me do you think that 1.9% of the workforce getting a 5.2% raise is going to increase the cost of goods by any significant amount, especially when those people are spread out all over the country and the globe?

He said it will contribute to price increases which is correct.

You can argue that the price increases resulting from this will be small, and you have.

Salary increases result in higher prices. I understand that federal workers generally don't produce anything, but paying them more makes other businesses pay more to compete, and local prices rise due to the local economy.

Most importantly, the federal salary increases are paid for with borrowed money.

All increases in government spending raise prices.

And I think your numbers are a bit off, but you make a decent point.

(September 2023 data)

1703706902211.png

Regards,
Jim

How does that make it “more” deserving than an underpaid worker who can’t afford the cost of living? I don’t think we should be pitting one against the other.
Government workers are eligible for pay raises while retired folks depend on Social Security and their savings.

You make a case for improving the pay and benefits for SOME Federal Workers.

But that does nothing for the thousands and thousands of useless, corrupt and worthless Fed Workers that simply get in the way.

When you find a nest of Rats do you try to determine which ones are good rats and which are the bad rats? When you have to clear a Hornet's nest do you try to separate the stinger-less drones from the dangerous ones?

Better yet -- Can you?

Yes, there are some wonderful people working for the Federal goobermint. Dedicated, selfless, caring, etc.

Then there's people like Fauci

But overall, collectively...... They suck. With the EPA being the absolute worst of the worst or the worst. And the FBI being right behind them. The IRS? They're a real treasure, huh?

Your words are compelling but they are wasted trying to save Federal Workers. Collectively, the worst Rats' Nest on the Planet
See I don’t see it that way. I don’t them as rats or hornets but as little different from workers elsewhere. When you talk about specific agencies, I think your issue is more with mission of those agencies then the peop,e employed there (and no one likes the IRS :D)

I see most as collectively decent working people like any other, with some that aren’t and a bureaucratic process that allows that. I have had interactions with government workers of all kinds, some good, some indifferent, some just collecting a paycheck, some grossly underpaid for their caseloads and some grossly overpaid to sign paperwork and play computerames.

Salary increases result in higher prices.

If enough people get them.

I understand that federal workers generally don't produce anything, but paying them more makes other businesses pay more to compete, and local prices rise due to the local economy.

The Fed work force is already paid less than their civilian counterparts for the most part.

In 2023, federal workers made 27.54% less on average than their peers outside of government, marking the second straight year that the federal pay gap widened. Last year, the pay gap was 24.09%, itself an increase from the 22.47% disparity between federal employees and private sector workers in similar jobs in 2021.

There are exceptions, like the VA nurses in our area make more than those in the local hospitals, but the hospitals are not raising their pay to keep up. But for the most part one can make far more money outside the Govt.

Most importantly, the federal salary increases are paid for with borrowed money.

All increases in government spending raise prices.

What percent of the Fed Budget do you assume is taken up by pay and benefits for fed employees?

And I think your numbers are a bit off, but you make a decent point.

(September 2023 data)

Thanks, I was a tad off.

Tsk tsk tsk.

Independentthinker is correct.

At a national level, deficit spending raises prices by devaluing the dollar, of course.

And at the local level, higher salaries also raise prices on everything.

DC has a the highest home prices in the nation by far, and it's because of the bloated federal salaries...

plsq7ngtye921.jpg
But federal salaries aren’t bloated, they aren’t even competitive with the private sector. Only 15% of Federal workers work in the DC metropolitan area. The DC metropolitan area actually ranks fourth in the concentration of federal workers and only 14% of it’s workforce works for the federal government.

It isn’t “bloated” federal salaries driving the cost of anything.

Forum List

Back