FDA declares war on tylenol.

I worked in an ER for several years. Most of the adult suicide attempts were ODs on Tylenol. Poor souls unfortunately learned they were better off dead from the damage done.

This is as ridiculous as taking Ephedrine off the market.

WOW the far left in control of the FDA shows that anything and everything is dangerous.

The "far left"??

How the fuck are Margaret Hamburg and Michael Taylor -- of all creatures -- the 'far left'?

Taylor is an ex-Monsanto attorney. You know that, right?

But do go ahead -- make this case. This oughta be good. :popcorn:

Tylenol sucks. Doesn't work. I miss my advils, but no can do any more. Now, it is heating pads, hot showers and half a vicodin if it gets really bad.

The FDA tried to put a ban on...are ya ready for it?....TUMERIC. Why? Because they wanted to own it since it is good for many medicinal purposes. However, they failed. I don't remember where I heard this...just read it on the net when I was first exploring natural remedies for my RA.
No more Vicodin either. Instead you get Norco which is 325mg of acetaminophen, instead of 500mg in Vicodin.

Last edited:
Leave it to the Fuckedup Defartment of Agriculture to just figure out something we all knew for the last 20 years.

Leave it to the Fuckedup Defartment of Agriculture to just figure out something we all knew for the last 20 years.

Exactly...while big Pharma puts out more and more dangerous drugs that the docs love to peddle to the sheeple, making millions in the process, the government goes after Tylenol...which informed people already knew was dangerous.

This is why we need a big omnipresent intrusive unlimited federal government....thinks the statist.:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

I worked in an ER for several years. Most of the adult suicide attempts were ODs on Tylenol. Poor souls unfortunately learned they were better off dead from the damage done.

I use ephedrine everyday.

What do you mean "off the market"?

It is not an over the counter drug, by any means - too much damage can be done.
( I could not care less about it's "high" potential).

Just to summarize - FDA ia a needed agency, however, as any of them it has a lot of shortcomings and idiocy going on and the tylenol is one of them.
There are hundreds of others.

But the main problem is the one neither of you, guys, even touched. Because one has to deal with that problem to understand how deeply corrupted it all is.
FDA basically mandates your treatment. Yes, not a physician, but a government agency.
If one or the other drug( or procedure) is not approved or is not recommended by FDA for one or the other treatment - you won't get it as your insurance won't PAY for it.

FDA recommendations or approval are the guidelines for Medicare/medicaid and to some degree there should be some broad recommendations, but what it all turned out to be is a strict fight with the government for what you can and what you can not get for your treatment.

If one is interested - read about avastin and breast cancer and FDA and the battle which is still going on.

Last edited:

Exactly...while big Pharma puts out more and more dangerous drugs that the docs love to peddle to the sheeple, making millions in the process, the government goes after Tylenol...which informed people already knew was dangerous.

This is why we need a big omnipresent intrusive unlimited federal government....thinks the statist.:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

They are slow to react and minimally effective of late, that's true. But you've shot your own foot in the point: if FDA is belatedly reacting to what "we all know" (which is a fallacy anyway), then what you're saying is it's stating the obvious. So where's the harm?

You prolly don't need to be told not to stick your hand in a fire. If I tell you not to do something you already know not to do, have I harmed you in any way?
I mean, grow a couple of pairs, doods. :cuckoo:

As noted "everybody knows" is a blatant fallacy anyway; I never knew this about Tylenol. Guess the arbiters of ignorance would prefer that I never found out.

Which brings us back to Kosh. I'm still waiting for that explanation of how a marginally effective agency headed by a doctor and a Monsanto lawyer can be defined as the "far left".

( [MENTION=42632]Kosh[/MENTION] )

Still waiting....
impatient.gif

Last edited:

I use ephedrine everyday.

What do you mean "off the market"?

It is not an over the counter drug, by any means - too much damage can be done.
( I could not care less about it's "high" potential).

Just to summarize - FDA ia a needed agency, however, as any of them it has a lot of shortcomings and idiocy going on and the tylenol is one of them.
There are hundreds of others.

But the main problem is the one neither of you, guys, even touched. Because one has to deal with that problem to understand how deeply corrupted it all is.
FDA basically mandates your treatment. Yes, not a physician, but a government agency.
If one or the other drug( or procedure) is not approved or is not recommended by FDA for one or the other treatment - you won't get it as your insurance won't PAY for it.

FDA recommendations or approval are the guidelines for Medicare/medicaid and to some degree there should be some broad recommendations, but what it all turned out to be is a strict fight with the government for what you can and what you can not get for your treatment.

If one is interested - read about avastin and breast cancer and FDA and the battle which is still going on.

Yes, that is the other side; like any government agency FDA is by no means immune (hee hee pun) to the infamous DC revolving door. Obama's sleazy appointment of Michael Taylor is obvious proof of that. That's why I keep bringing him up. Who better to watch the chicken coop than the fox, right? At least you know he'll be paying attention...

That's nasty shit. I learned the hard way DON'T take Tylenol for a hangover. :beer:

The best prevention for a hangover, beside not drinking, is to drink a glass of water before going to bed after a night of drinking.

No, rather somebody sued the pharmaceutical company for their liver failure after digesting more than 4 g of acetaminophen per day.

Some idiots don't know the term MODERATION.

it is written on EVERY box and everybody even the neighbors dog know by nowadays that 4g of tylenol will cause liver failure.

It was only recently added to EVERY box. And do you know why?

Lawsuits and pressure from the FDA.

Bottles of Tylenol sold in the U.S. will soon bear red warnings alerting users to the potentially fatal risks of taking too much of the popular pain reliever.
The unusual step, disclosed by the company that makes Tylenol, comes amid a growing number of lawsuits and pressure from the federal government that could have widespread ramifications for a medicine taken by millions of people every day.

It has been known for decades.

And do you know why it has been known for decades? Because of lawsuits and the FDA.

Tylenol refused to warn anyone on their labels. Until they were sued and pressure was brought to bear by the FDA.

In 1994, the company added a warning about the risk of liver damage when combining alcohol with Tylenol following a lawsuit brought by Antonio Benedi, a former aide to President George H.W. Bush, who fell into a coma and underwent emergency liver transplant after mixing Tylenol with wine at dinner.

A jury awarded him $8.8 million in damages after concluding that McNeil failed to warn consumers about the risk. The FDA made the alcohol warning mandatory for all manufacturers of acetaminophen in 1998.

That's why it has been known "for decades". Again, because of the FDA and lawsuits. Not because of Tylenol warning people.

Last edited:
Look at all these drug users telling everyone why drugs are good and if your liver fails big deal.

Then they'll run into a thread about Weed and reverse every opinion they've stated here

Some idiots don't know the term MODERATION.

it is written on EVERY box and everybody even the neighbors dog know by nowadays that 4g of tylenol will cause liver failure.

It was only recently added to EVERY box. And do you know why?

Lawsuits and pressure from the FDA.

It has been known for decades.

And do you know why it has been known for decades? Because of lawsuits and the FDA.

Tylenol refused to warn anyone on their labels. Until they were sued and pressure was brought to bear by the FDA.

In 1994, the company added a warning about the risk of liver damage when combining alcohol with Tylenol following a lawsuit brought by Antonio Benedi, a former aide to President George H.W. Bush, who fell into a coma and underwent emergency liver transplant after mixing Tylenol with wine at dinner.

A jury awarded him $8.8 million in damages after concluding that McNeil failed to warn consumers about the risk. The FDA made the alcohol warning mandatory for all manufacturers of acetaminophen in 1998.

That's why it has been known "for decades". Again, because of the FDA and lawsuits. Not because of Tylenol warning people.

+1

awesome post and another reason the squeals to defund the FDA makes no sense

The agency says it soon will withdraw approval for any of those medications containing more than 325 mg of acetaminophen. It also said that it is planning new regulatory action on over-the-counter acetaminophen, but did not give details.

Nowhere does there seem to be any mention of any new research that would lead anyone to believe that it's more dangerous than previously thought. I also have a big problem with their saying "no additional benefit that outweighs the added risks ." What makes them the arbiters of what outweighs what?

FDA warns against high-dose prescription acetaminophen

Just not seeing the "war"….

The agency says it soon will withdraw approval for any of those medications containing more than 325 mg of acetaminophen. It also said that it is planning new regulatory action on over-the-counter acetaminophen, but did not give details.

Nowhere does there seem to be any mention of any new research that would lead anyone to believe that it's more dangerous than previously thought. I also have a big problem with their saying "no additional benefit that outweighs the added risks ." What makes them the arbiters of what outweighs what?

You need to summon your inner rage that stems from the government denying you stuff and giving stuff to other, less deserving, people.

Of course you dont because there isnt one. Drama Queens yanno....

Of course you don't find any new research if you are careful not to actually LOOK, and just say what the voices in your head tell you to!

New studies from the past year:

New study warns acetaminophen is the most deadly OTC painkiller

Too much Tylenol in pregnancy could affect child's development, study finds

Alcohol and acetaminophen combined increases kidney risks

Taking too much acetaminophen may cause serious (possibly fatal) liver disease. Adults should not take more than 4000 milligrams (4 grams) of acetaminophen a day. If you have liver problems, consult your doctor or pharmacist for a safe dosage of this medication. Daily use of alcohol, especially when combined with acetaminophen, may increase your risk for liver damage. Avoid alcohol. Check with your doctor or pharmacist for more information. Get medical help right away if you have any symptoms of liver damage, including: dark urine, persistent nausea/vomiting, stomach/abdominal pain, extreme tiredness, or yellowing eyes/skin.

acetaminophen oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

Of course you don't find any new research if you are careful not to actually LOOK, and just say what the voices in your head tell you to!

New studies from the past year:

New study warns acetaminophen is the most deadly OTC painkiller

Too much Tylenol in pregnancy could affect child's development, study finds

Alcohol and acetaminophen combined increases kidney risks

Fuck man!

Why the fuck do they lie like this?

Forum List

Back