FDA declares war on tylenol.

The agency says it soon will withdraw approval for any of those medications containing more than 325 mg of acetaminophen. It also said that it is planning new regulatory action on over-the-counter acetaminophen, but did not give details.

Nowhere does there seem to be any mention of any new research that would lead anyone to believe that it's more dangerous than previously thought. I also have a big problem with their saying "no additional benefit that outweighs the added risks ." What makes them the arbiters of what outweighs what?

FDA warns against high-dose prescription acetaminophen

There are actually many hundreds of studies that show how dangerous acetaminophen is. Overdoses of acetaminophen are the leading cause of liver failure in the United States, with more than 70,000 people ending up in the Emergency room each year from accidental overdoses.

Feel free to disregard their suggestions, but keep that poison control number handy.

from the article:

Well, the FDA has assumed for itself Godlike power, requiring that its official approval be obtained before any substance can legally be used in the prevention and treatment of disease.

The FDA's legal-regulatory control therefore is totalitarian and Napoleonic in construct; what it does not explicitly permit as a medicine is implicitly forbidden

^^^this is a quintessence of ANY government agency and ANY government department and ANY government worker with a sniff of power.

to paraphrase:

The Government is a totalitarian entity which operates under the motto - what it does not explicitly permit is implicitly forbidden

acetaminophen is not a good ANALGESIC.

but it is great antiinflamatory agent and a perfect drug to get you going if you are having a cold and all those muscle pains and you need to go to work.

Obviously it is better to stay in bed, but it is not always possible.
I just deal with it and press on.

when I was a resident I would not be able to survive without a teraflu hot.

Now I can have a luxury of just taking a sick day when I am sick and stay in bed and drink tea with raspberry jam and lemon.

Raspberry ( with seeds) is a great anti-inflammatory folk medicine.

I'm with the natural remedies...or just deal with it.

No, rather somebody sued the pharmaceutical company for their liver failure after digesting more than 4 g of acetaminophen per day.

Due to long time chronic pain, I used to take Tylenol. Then, later in my life, I got a blood chemistry test result that indicated possible liver damage.

Since I was not then much of a drinker, we ruled out cirrhosis as a likely cause. This left Tylenol.

I went cold turkey on the stuff.

My liver function enzyme test results took years to return to "within normal limits" or whatever their terminology is.

I avoid Tylenol like the effing plague.

from the article:

Well, the FDA has assumed for itself Godlike power, requiring that its official approval be obtained before any substance can legally be used in the prevention and treatment of disease.

The FDA's legal-regulatory control therefore is totalitarian and Napoleonic in construct; what it does not explicitly permit as a medicine is implicitly forbidden

^^^this is a quintessence of ANY government agency and ANY government department and ANY government worker with a sniff of power.

Yeah yeah yeah, good stuff for the fantasy comic books but that's not what the article says. It's a wackadoo conclusion it draws. What the article actually says is that natural substances can't be patented as drugs to be used for that purpose. Which also means they can't be regulated by the FDA. Nowhere did FDA say people can't use them.

Read it again. The first paragraph lays out an FDA definition of drugs, then goes off on a wild tangent about what that means, with no evidence at all that it means any such thing.

Note that by that same definition, cannabis cannot be called a 'drug' either, since it's not officially recognized to offer any health benefit. Which is also why Big Pharma wants to keep it that way -- can't be patented means can't be profited from.

By the way I've got plenty of turmeric, more than I need if anybody wants some. Meet me in the park after dark, fourth bench... :eusa_shhh:

No, rather somebody sued the pharmaceutical company for their liver failure after digesting more than 4 g of acetaminophen per day.

Due to long time chronic pain, I used to take Tylenol. Then, later in my life, I got a blood chemistry test result that indicated possible liver damage.

Since I was not then much of a drinker, we ruled out cirrhosis as a likely cause. This left Tylenol.

I went cold turkey on the stuff.

My liver function enzyme test results took years to return to "within normal limits" or whatever their terminology is.

I avoid Tylenol like the effing plague.

tylenol is not meant to be taken chronically.

It is a relief medicine for times when you are sick with common cold or for very high fever, especially for kids, as you should not take aspirin when you have a virus infection ( especially kids).

But in no way is is an everyday drug.

from the article:

Yeah yeah yeah, good stuff for the fantasy comic books but that's not what the article says. It's a wackadoo conclusion it draws. What the article actually says is that natural substances can't be patented as drugs to be used for that purpose. Which also means they can't be regulated by the FDA. Nowhere did FDA say people can't use them.

Read it again. The first paragraph lays out an FDA definition of drugs, then goes off on a wild tangent about what that means, with no evidence at all that it means any such thing.

Note that by that same definition, cannabis cannot be called a 'drug' either, since it's not officially recognized to offer any health benefit. Which is also why Big Pharma wants to keep it that way -- can't be patented means can't be profited from.

By the way I've got plenty of turmeric, more than I need if anybody wants some. Meet me in the park after dark, fourth bench... :eusa_shhh:

According to the FDA's legal definition, a drug is anything that "diagnoses, cures, mitigates, treats, or prevents a disease."
The problem with this definition is that there are numerous substances, as readily available and benign as found on our spice racks, which have been proven by countless millennia of human experience to mitigate, prevent and in some cases cure disease, and which cannot be called drugs according to the FDA.
How can this be? Well, the FDA has assumed for itself Godlike power, requiring that its official approval be obtained before any substance can legally be used in the prevention and treatment of disease.

Perhaps it's more of a question of what's NEXT on an unelected Government agency's agenda to ban next?

YOU miss the point.

Pogo, you can be such a bore sometimes.

I think FDA will survive without your chivalrous defense.

Can anybody recommend which turmeric is better?

I want to buy online and am kind of undecided.

Before I was just buying in the spice shop and it was not by any brand.

But I am too lazy to drive that far.

Pogo like so many Dumasses on the left think people are too stupid to make decisions for themselves and applaud Gubmint bureaucracies to make our dcisions FOR us...to which I say WRONG ANSWER.

WE aren't all stupid...HE applauds anything that circumvents liberty.

YES, you DO Pogo.

Pogo like so many Dumasses on the left think people are too stupid to make decisions for themselves and applaud Gubmint bureaucracies to make our dcisions FOR us...to which I say WRONG ANSWER.

YES, you DO Pogo.

he just likes to correct what he thinks is wrong.

The agency says it soon will withdraw approval for any of those medications containing more than 325 mg of acetaminophen. It also said that it is planning new regulatory action on over-the-counter acetaminophen, but did not give details.

Nowhere does there seem to be any mention of any new research that would lead anyone to believe that it's more dangerous than previously thought. I also have a big problem with their saying "no additional benefit that outweighs the added risks ." What makes them the arbiters of what outweighs what?

You seriously posted that??

Captain Obvious has your answer: the Pure Food and Drug Act (1906) which followed the Biologics Control Act (1902) both signed into law by Theodore Roosevelt (R) which was in response to the deaths of several children from tainted vaccines. The FDA as a regulatory body was created in 1927 as the Food Drug and Insecticide organization, renamed FDA in 1930. After the public outcry over the Elixir Sulfanilamide event killed 100 people, FDA was given more teeth with the Food, Drug and Cosmeitc Act (1938).

And we did all this back in the Trans Fats thread, where some of you clowns actually tried to make the case that your freedom to ingest trans fats are being infringed. :cuckoo:

FDA's role is to require and regulate public safety in our drugs and food. It's only because of FDA that Thalidomide, which ruined the lives of over ten thousand children, was never sold here in the U.S. The same way the FAA prevents planes from flying into each other or the FCC prevents the chaos the airwaves would sound like if all you needed to have a radio or TV station was a transmitter.

Captain Obvious reporting, from the Department of Thinking Things Through...

Freaking Randbots...

YES, you DO Pogo.

he just likes to correct what he thinks is wrong.
Perhaps, but his answers are all wrong for the cause of liberty.

I try to get my spices at an Indian grocery. Because they don't mess around with emasculated faux-spice. They go for the gusto. And it's fresh.
Especially for something commonly used in Indian cuisine like turmeric.

Middle Eastern grocery wouldn't be a bad choice either.

I try to get my spices at an Indian grocery. Because they don't mess around with emasculated faux-spice. They go for the gusto. And it's fresh.
Especially for something commonly used in Indian cuisine like turmeric.

Middle Eastern grocery wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Thanks

As boring as the Trans Fats thread, when you were on my side?

Remember that? Shall I dig up some of your posts? Because they were good. Really good.

And trust me, I'm not here to defend gummint agencies; I'm here to attack bad logic.

Growl.

FDA is another department that needs to be defunded...like the EPA as well...these unelected agencies are run amok...and it seems Congress hasn't the balls to do it.

Careful what you wish for, there are reasons for regulatory agencies. Sometimes I wonder if you too suffer from Mad Cow Disease (you and Denny Crane).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqsIpYQ5e_g]Best of Denny Crane - YouTube[/ame]

Tylenol sucks. Doesn't work. I miss my advils, but no can do any more. Now, it is heating pads, hot showers and half a vicodin if it gets really bad.

The FDA tried to put a ban on...are ya ready for it?....TUMERIC. Why? Because they wanted to own it since it is good for many medicinal purposes. However, they failed. I don't remember where I heard this...just read it on the net when I was first exploring natural remedies for my RA.

Ahhhhhh the idiot physician's assistant who replaced my doctor presctibed tumeric for treatment of my arthritis. The big problem, I don't have arthritis.

Forum List

Back