Favorite Songs From the 1960's

Again from "Hitsville USA" -- with Marvin Gaye off in the background slamming a barrel with a tire iron, a young lady who worked upstairs as a secretary came down to sing:

After visiting the Motown Museum I could never hear the line "this is an invitation across the nation, a chance for folks to meet" the same way again. It sums up what Motown did --- put out music that was so infectious to everybody, the old barriers that had segregated the dance floors came tumbling down, never to return.

Porky

Dance to that one a lot.....At Porkys in Oalkand Park Fla

I had to look that up. I have never heard of it. It's before my time.

Porky's was young hangout on US1 had live music 7 days a week, and it was were you could meet other in your own age group. 21 28 and the music was by group call the Byrds. The did a movie but it was not like what they claimed it was. But the owner was a Hood out of Ohio.....

Crank, it!

Edit: By the way the Toni Basil in the movie is the same one that did the Hey Mickey song. And now you know...the rest of the story.

Last edited:
June-December 1960 I used to go to a club on Pacific Ave in Tacoma,WA and listen to these guys play. They were still in college at Olympia and had just graduated, They called themselves The Fleetwoods which was the street their school was on, Fleetwood Street. This song was the one that propelled their career.

June-December 1960 I used to go to a club on Pacific Ave in Tacoma,WA and listen to these guys play. They were still in college at Olympia and had just graduated, They called themselves The Fleetwoods which was the street their school was on, Fleetwood Street. This song was the one that propelled their career.

Speaking of Tacoma --- takes us directly back to the first post and the original source for it -- Rockin' Robin Roberts and the Wailers (not to be confused with the Jamaica Wailers):

-- this is the version the Kingsmen (from down the road in Oregon) were copying, with the horribly recorded barely-audible lead vocal being yelled because they had only a single ceiling mic in a studio that cost fifty bucks to rent.

Sometimes some guys just get lucky.

Forum List

Back