Musical Families

GMCGeneral

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2020
For me to know and you not to find out.

OK, the idea is this. Post your favorite songs/performances by families in music from any category. For me, my #1 genre is Jazz and what better representatives of this great American art form to start this topic than the Marsalis Family performing the Louis Armstrong tune "Struttin' With Some Barbecue" featuring:

Dad Ellis Marsalis (RIP)-Piano
Branford Marsalis-Sorprano Sax
Wynton Marsalis-Trumpet
Delfeayo Marsalis-Trombone
Jason Marsalis-Drums
Roland Guerin-Bass.

Formed in 1969 as "The Salty Peppers" after his stint with the Ramsey Lewis Trio (with Cleveland Eaton on Bass), Maurice White recruited his brother Verdine on bass. Then renamed as Earth, Wind, and Fire in the early 70s, their baby brother, Freddie came on board as drummer. They also had another brother, Monte, working behind the scenes as tour manager through the early 80s. Sadly, of the four brothers, Verdine is the only surviving member of the group.

David Paich, Steve Lukather, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Porcaro, and David Huntgate was the original lineup of this band formed by Paich, Luke and Jeff Porcaro. After the "Toto IV" album was released, of which this song is a part of, brother Mike joined and remained primarily with the group on bass. Again, like the White brothers of EWF, tragedy struck when Jeff died of apparent poisoning in the early 90s and Mike succumbed to complications from ALS.

Forum List

Back