Faith & the death penalty

Peach

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2009
Just a question, if only God can judge, for those of faith, isn't the Death Penalty usurping God?

Just a question, if only God can judge, for those of faith, isn't the Death Penalty usurping God?

Romans 13:1 ¶ Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Romans 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

Romans 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

Romans 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

See "The Ethics of Capital Punishment" which is a free article.

The Ethics of Capital Punishment | Christian Research Institute

Like many, you're making incorrect assesments about the Judaeo-Christian god. God gave Man laws. In effect, authorizing Him to judge his fellow Man. Along with those laws are numerous death penalty offenses as well as multiple means of meteing out that punishment including strangulation, immolation, and decapitation. So not only can we judge, but God has ordered us to do so.

Punishment and Restitution

285. That the Court shall pass sentence of death by decapitation with the sword (Ex. 21:20; Lev. 26:25) (affirmative).
286. That the Court shall pass sentence of death by strangulation (Lev. 20:10) (affirmative).
287. That the Court shall pass sentence of death by burning with fire (Lev. 20:14) (affirmative).
288. That the Court shall pass sentence of death by stoning (Deut. 22:24) (affirmative).
289. To hang the dead body of one who has incurred that penalty (Deut. 21:22) (affirmative).
290. That the dead body of an executed criminal shall not remain hanging on the tree over night (Deut. 21:23) (negative).
291. To inter the executed on the day of execution (Deut. 21:23) (affirmative)
292. Not to accept ransom from a murderer (Num. 35:31) (negative).
293. To exile one who committed accidental homicide (Num. 35:25) (affirmative).
294. To establish six cities of refuge (for those who committed accidental homicide) (Deut. 19:3) (affirmative).
295. Not to accept ransom from an accidental homicide, so as to relieve him from exile (Num. 35:32) (negative).
296. To decapitate the heifer in the manner prescribed (in expiation of a murder on the road, the perpetrator of which remained undiscovered) (Deut. 21:4) (affirmative).
297. Not to plow nor sow the rough valley (in which a heifer's neck was broken) (Deut. 21:4) (negative).
298. To adjudge a thief to pay compensation or (in certain cases) suffer death (Ex. 21:16; Ex. 21:37; Ex. 22:1) (affirmative).
299. That he who inflicts a bodily injury shall pay monetary compensation (Ex. 21:18-19) (affirmative).
300. To impose a penalty of fifty shekels upon the seducer (of an unbetrothed virgin) and enforce the other rules in connection with the case (Ex. 22:15-16) (affirmative).
301. That the violator (of an unbetrothed virgin) shall marry her (Deut. 22:28-29) (affirmative).
302. That one who has raped a damsel and has then (in accordance with the law) married her, may not divorce her (Deut. 22:29) (negative).
303. Not to inflict punishment on Shabbat (Ex. 35:3) (because some punishments were inflicted by fire) (negative). See Shabbat.
304. To punish the wicked by the infliction of stripes (Deut. 25:2) (affirmative).
305. Not to exceed the statutory number of stripes laid on one who has incurred that punishment (Deut. 25:3) (and by implication, not to strike anyone) (CCN43).
306. Not to spare the offender, in imposing the prescribed penalties on one who has caused damage (Deut. 19:13) (negative).
307. To do unto false witnesses as they had purposed to do (to the accused) (Deut. 19:19) (affirmative).
308. Not to punish any one who has committed an offense under duress (Deut. 22:26) (negative).

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

Only way to say God, or the Bible is against the death penalty is to rip out the first half of it.

My biggest obstacle in my relationship with God is this subject.

I have no sympathy at all for cold blooded murders, child molesters, and those who traffic humans.

In my opinion, the world would be a much better place without them.

If a man, molested children for 80 years, he brutalized them, and some of them he killed. On his deathbed he screams for God, through Jesus, and asks for forgiveness, and he is truly repentant, is this man forgiven?

I know what the Bible says. I know it in context. I know that is God's decision. The problem is do I want to go to heaven if an animal like that is walking the streets there?

If a person is convicted of cold blooded murder, in today's age, and sentenced to the death penalty, the evidence is overwhelming, most of it is DNA, and if you believe in science at all, DNA can't be falsified. I have no problem putting a cold blooded murderer to death. I would have no problem at all pulling the switch myself, or injecting the person myself.

A human being gives up all their human rights when they take someone else's life, for reasons that would amount to cold blooded murder. I don't care if they spend 30 years on death row and become born again Christians, and bring thousands of souls to the Lord. They have a debt which must be paid, for they have taken something that cannot be returned, and they did it with premeditation.

And don't think Jesus was all love and forgivness, He got angry and He did preach vengeance.
Matthew 18:6
"If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

We can argue that verse all day long, all I am using it for is to point out that Jesus says it is better a person be drowned than to harm a little one, or make them sin, or stumble. However you want to read it.

If we waited for "God's Judgement" then that would be a case of justice denied.

Society decides on the laws it wishes to live by and society judges whether someone abides or doesn't abide by those laws.

Some societies have come to the realization that innocent people have been wrongly put to death because of the Death Penalty (DP) and decided to abolish it. There has been no subsequent documented increase in crime because there is no more DP.

Personally speaking I do believe that there are instances where the DP is appropriate but those are the exception rather than the rule. Incarceration without parole is sufficient for the rest.

So the interpretation of "God's Judgement" is for the faithful to decide for themselves and since they are a part of society they can influence as they see fit. For the rest of us the decision is about ourselves as people. I am comfortable with my own position.

I don't recall the Bible saying that only God can judge, Maybe you could point out what verse you are basing your question on so I can understand it.

Like many, you're making incorrect assesments about the Judaeo-Christian god. God gave Man laws. In effect, authorizing Him to judge his fellow Man. Along with those laws are numerous death penalty offenses as well as multiple means of meteing out that punishment including strangulation, immolation, and decapitation. So not only can we judge, but God has ordered us to do so.

Punishment and Restitution

285. That the Court shall pass sentence of death by decapitation with the sword (Ex. 21:20; Lev. 26:25) (affirmative).
286. That the Court shall pass sentence of death by strangulation (Lev. 20:10) (affirmative).
287. That the Court shall pass sentence of death by burning with fire (Lev. 20:14) (affirmative).
288. That the Court shall pass sentence of death by stoning (Deut. 22:24) (affirmative).
289. To hang the dead body of one who has incurred that penalty (Deut. 21:22) (affirmative).
290. That the dead body of an executed criminal shall not remain hanging on the tree over night (Deut. 21:23) (negative).
291. To inter the executed on the day of execution (Deut. 21:23) (affirmative)
292. Not to accept ransom from a murderer (Num. 35:31) (negative).
293. To exile one who committed accidental homicide (Num. 35:25) (affirmative).
294. To establish six cities of refuge (for those who committed accidental homicide) (Deut. 19:3) (affirmative).
295. Not to accept ransom from an accidental homicide, so as to relieve him from exile (Num. 35:32) (negative).
296. To decapitate the heifer in the manner prescribed (in expiation of a murder on the road, the perpetrator of which remained undiscovered) (Deut. 21:4) (affirmative).
297. Not to plow nor sow the rough valley (in which a heifer's neck was broken) (Deut. 21:4) (negative).
298. To adjudge a thief to pay compensation or (in certain cases) suffer death (Ex. 21:16; Ex. 21:37; Ex. 22:1) (affirmative).
299. That he who inflicts a bodily injury shall pay monetary compensation (Ex. 21:18-19) (affirmative).
300. To impose a penalty of fifty shekels upon the seducer (of an unbetrothed virgin) and enforce the other rules in connection with the case (Ex. 22:15-16) (affirmative).
301. That the violator (of an unbetrothed virgin) shall marry her (Deut. 22:28-29) (affirmative).
302. That one who has raped a damsel and has then (in accordance with the law) married her, may not divorce her (Deut. 22:29) (negative).
303. Not to inflict punishment on Shabbat (Ex. 35:3) (because some punishments were inflicted by fire) (negative). See Shabbat.
304. To punish the wicked by the infliction of stripes (Deut. 25:2) (affirmative).
305. Not to exceed the statutory number of stripes laid on one who has incurred that punishment (Deut. 25:3) (and by implication, not to strike anyone) (CCN43).
306. Not to spare the offender, in imposing the prescribed penalties on one who has caused damage (Deut. 19:13) (negative).
307. To do unto false witnesses as they had purposed to do (to the accused) (Deut. 19:19) (affirmative).
308. Not to punish any one who has committed an offense under duress (Deut. 22:26) (negative).

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

Only way to say God, or the Bible is against the death penalty is to rip out the first half of it.

Damn, another idiotic post from the fake scholar.

I can easily point to verses in the New Testament that support the death penalty.

I don't recall the Bible saying that only God can judge, Maybe you could point out what verse you are basing your question on so I can understand it.

Matthew 7:1-5
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Luke 6:37
“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;

James 4:11-12
Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;

Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

Those do not mean what you think they mean.

Would you like me to help you with the verses?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back