Down Nostalgia way

Persuader

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2020
I remember a 90 yr. old retired Methodist Minister telling me back when i was in college that life is about much more than just the future....that the past is just as important.

The older i get the more i find myself thinking about the past....i suppose that is true of many.

Anyhow, I think the future is highly over-rated especially since the prospects for a future look dimmer everday.

The passing of a college roomate the other day brought back many memories.....of a time....though not that long ago which was so different from today it is almost like we now live on a different planet....certainly in a radically different world.

I really do not want to talk about or even think about the present....but it would be interesting to hear someone
reminsce about a diffeerent time and place.

I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I was just the other day looking at paper dolls on the internet, and I wondered if the kids today even know what they are. As a child, I spent hours cutting them out and playing with them... And the kids today are programming their iPhones and playing with their Playstations.

There is a lot to be said about those simpler times, I realize how those paper dolls were actually a form of relaxation, that I don't think the kids today will ever have a chance to experience. Everything today seems sort of fast paced and hectic to me.

I was just the other day looking at paper dolls on the internet, and I wondered if the kids today even know what they are. As a child, I spent hours cutting them out and playing with them... And the kids today are programming their iPhones and playing with their Playstations.

There is a lot to be said about those simpler times, I realize how those paper dolls were actually a form of relaxation, that I don't think the kids today will ever have a chance to experience. Everything today seems sort of fast paced and hectic to me.

In the weirdest dynamic imaginable to me, a lot of little kids would rather watch youtubes of adults playing with little kids' toys than actually play with toys themselves. It blows my mind. TBH, the only possible logical reason I can think of for this is that either they find the adult's calm tones a shelter in a world chaotic to them, or they see it as learning how they are supposed to play with toys. IDK, but it is effing weirs as hell to me.

Here is one with 44M+ views

RE Down Nostalgia way​

SUBTOPIC: Generations
⁜→ Alice In Chains, Dekster, et al,

(INTRO) I think that Alice In Chains is observance the (paradigm) shift of one generation in comparison to another generation. And "Alice is not the first person that has mades this observation.

In the weirdest dynamic imaginable to me, a lot of little kids would rather watch youtubes of adults playing with little kids' toys than actually play with toys themselves. It blows my mind. TBH, the only possible logical reason I can think of for this is that either they find the adult's calm tones a shelter in a world chaotic to them, or they see it as learning how they are supposed to play with toys. IDK, but it is effing weirs as hell to me.

Here is one with 44M+ views
(COMMENT)

As it is for me, many of us look back to the late 50s and early 60s - just really beginning to start childhood - in comparison through to today, and we find ourselves at a loss. Back then, there were no video games that I can recall and there were only three TV Channels. I think Alice is right, as kids, we had to be inventive.

But there will be some things that my children have never used or seen, like a teletype machine, or a vacuum tube tester, a transistor radio. I was going through my wallet and found a Radio-telephone operators license. And who remembers the Crystal Radio? When I first started dating, it almost always had a stop into the Soda Shop at Woolworths. And I don't remember when the 5-and Dime faded away. There was no such thing as a skate board; but we we had a board that we cut and shaped --- nailing old shoe skate to the bottom.

Those were some times.
1611604183365.png

Most Respectfully,
R

Growing up in a small town one of my best memories was the sat. afternoon matinee at the Pastime Theater....seemed like every kid in town was there....popcorn I seem to recall was a nickel a bag.

You can reach a point in life when the past seems relevant but the Minister told you wrong. It's the present and the future you have to deal with.

Forum List

Back