Does God Exist?

Religious people understand the importance of believing in a power greater than themselves.

Libs and fags think they should be the center of attention.

This directly contradicts the Bible and much of Christian theology. Nothing in the Bible identifies Genesis, the resurrection, Jesus as god, etc., as theme or lesson.
Do you truly believe that the intent of the person who wrote about the Biblical flood was to detail how the earth was repopulated?
It doesn’t much matter what I believe. I don’t know the intent of the person who wrote the flood tale. How do you know for certain the flood tale was intended as a theme/lesson and not the literal rendering of history as understood by the writer?

I’m not understanding this. You wrote It is a story with a theme/lesson (the flood), but then don’t explain why the Bible makes no mention of the event as anything but a literal event.
The flood was the setting. The question is whether it was planet wide or an event of great magnitude that stretched from horizon to horizon. How long after the flood do you suppose the account was written?

I’m not understanding this. You wrote It is a story with a theme/lesson (the flood), but then don’t explain why the Bible makes no mention of the event as anything but a literal event.
The flood was the setting. The question is whether it was planet wide or an event of great magnitude that stretched from horizon to horizon. How long after the flood do you suppose the account was written?
The Bible is not clear about the flood. If it is not literal event, intended as a theme, why not be clear?

The Bible is not clear about the flood. If it is not literal event, intended as a theme, why not be clear?
It appears you may have selected an anthropology book with the expectation it is going to teach you about geology.

I think that there is a lot in the Bible that is symbolic rather than literal, and it's not always easy to know which is which. In all cases, I think the point is not to give us a detailed, accurate accounting of what happened, but to let us know what God wants us to know, what he thinks we need to know and are ready to know.

I consider the creation at the beginning to be a prime example.

I do not believe that God merely waved his hands and spoke a few words, over the course of six 24-hour periods, and by so doing, caused the Earth to appear, and caused life to appear on it. I'm convinced that it was a very elaborate process, involving very real work, in which all of us who were eventually to populate the Earth almost certainly participated, and that the “days” do not represent literal 24-hour periods defined by the Earth's rotation relative to the Sun (which didn't even occur until a few “days” into the process), but phases of the project that may have extended for hundreds of millions of years.

The point was not to tell us in detail how God created the Earth, to give us the details of a project that even know is probably beyond our mortal limits to understand, but to let us know that he caused it to happen, and that under his direction, it happened in an orderly manner, and was not just a random, unorganized event.

Now if I was a Christian, I'd be terrified
If you were Christian perhaps you would have a clearer understanding and be at peace.
Maybe so. However, I've never met a Christian who didn't think others would be going to hell but not them.
Let me be your first. No one knows their fate or the fate of others.

So now you can’t say that anymore.
So you're what? Hopeful, scared, or resigned?
Awake.

Forum List

Back