Zone1 The Problem of Evil

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
When I was in college and took a philosophy of religion course, I was presented with the "problem of evil" paradox that has been made in the philosophies of religion. It goes something like this:

If God is an all powerful, all knowing, and an all loving being, then why is there evil in the world?

In other words, if God is all powerful, He would have the power to not allow evil in the world. If God is all knowing, He would have the know how to stop evil from being in the world. And, if God is an all loving and benevolent God surely He would not allow evil into the world! So, since there is evil in the world, then God cannot exist.

This is how the problem of evil was presented to me in my philosophy of religion course. After studying this "problem of evil" for several years upon hearing it, I finally came up with my LDS response to why there is evil in the world and why God allows it. I am curious as to how others answer this philosophical issue. So I ask all God fearing believers, how would you respond to this?

When I was in college and took a philosophy of religion course, I was presented with the "problem of evil" paradox that has been made in the philosophies of religion. It goes something like this:

If God is an all powerful, all knowing, and an all loving being, then why is there evil in the world?

In other words, if God is all powerful, He would have the power to not allow evil in the world. If God is all knowing, He would have the know how to stop evil from being in the world. And, if God is an all loving and benevolent God surely He would not allow evil into the world! So, since there is evil in the world, then God cannot exist.

This is how the problem of evil was presented to me in my philosophy of religion course. After studying this "problem of evil" for several years upon hearing it, I finally came up with my LDS response to why there is evil in the world and why God allows it. I am curious as to how others answer this philosophical issue. So I ask all God fearing believers, how would you respond to this?
All I can figure is God must be a democrat.

:auiqs.jpg:

But in all seriousness, there is only one problem of someone of faith, and that is to explain suffering. It is a life long struggle that you never fully conquer. Of course, suffering is a result of evil.

However, the atheist has it far worse as they have to explain everything else.

I look at it this way, evil is described as "darkness". What is darkness? Darkness does not really exist, rather, darkness is merely a way to describe the lack of light. When there is no light, you suffer blindness. Only God can turn on the light.

Last edited:

Disclaimer - not a believer and this is one reason. But if you observe the world, 'evil' is a fundamental part of the design. Evolution is based on killing others to survive. As Jethro Tull wrote, "He who made kittens, put snakes in the grass".

Adam had dominion over the earth. He relinquished that control to Lucifer. It was a just (as in justice) and legal transfer, for a specific period, that God was required to uphold if He was to remain 100% just.

The Pharisees tried to pull the same dilemma on Christ. Will you abide by the Law and stone this adulteress woman, or will you break the Law and be merciful?

God is 100% just and 100% merciful. His mercy gave us a Savior to redeem us from the damage Satan has done to us.
And made it a gift to us, from our Father.

But in all seriousness, there is only one problem of someone of faith, and that is to explain suffering. It is a life long struggle that you never fully conquer. Of course, suffering is a result of evil.

However, atheists have it far worse as they have to explain everything else.

Only God can turn on the light.
Theists Don't Explain Anything. It's All "God's Will."

Superior creative minds are the only thing literally "supernatural," because they conquer nature and prevent its disasters. Theists just passively accept it all and do nothing. There's not one evil that geniuses don't have the ability to eventually prevent. All of today's cures could have been invented millennia ago. But supernatural minds have been shackled by jealous believers in superstition.

Theists Don't Explain Anything. It's All "God's Will."

Superior creative minds are the only thing literally "supernatural," because they conquer nature and prevent its disasters. Theists just passively accept it all and do nothing. There's not one evil that geniuses don't have the ability to eventually prevent. All of today's cures could have been invented millennia ago. But supernatural minds have been shackled by jealous believers in superstition.
When has man conquered nature? When have we prevented an earthquake, or a hurricane? Have the geniuses prevented addictions? Have they been victorious in defeating the common cold?
What believer has shackled anyone's mind? I'm a believer that would love to see St. Jude close it's doors because there has been a cure for cancer.
By the same token, I know that what God predicted in end time prophesy will be done. We are living it. All nations are coming against Israel. Israel will sign a peace treaty and give away a portion of their land, and they will pay dearly for it.

Though it is true that in the Garden of Eden the lamb would lie down with the lion but then Adam and Eve transgressed the command to not partake of the forbidden fruit and thus death, suffering, and evil began in the world. My professor would argue, "Why didn't God, who is all powerful, all knowing, and an all loving God simply make man perfect like Himself and he could have all the free will and yet make perfect decisions and never choose evil and never bring evil into the world?"

Disclaimer - not a believer and this is one reason. But if you observe the world, 'evil' is a fundamental part of the design. Evolution is based on killing others to survive. As Jethro Tull wrote, "He who made kittens, put snakes in the grass".
Maimonides responds... emphasis mine.

"MEN frequently think that the evils in the world are more numerous than the good things, that just isn't the case. He who thinks that he can have flesh and bones without being subject to any external influence, or any of the accidents of matter, unconsciously wishes to reconcile two opposites, viz., to be at the same time subject and not subject to change. If man were never subject to change there could be no generation: there would be one single being, but no individuals forming a species. It would be in vain to expect to see living beings formed of the blood of menstruous women and the semen virile, who will not die, will never feel pain, or will move perpetually, or will shine like the sun. Whatever is formed of any matter receives the most perfect form possible in that species of matter: in each individual case the defects are in accordance with the defects of that individual matter. The best and most perfect being that can be formed of the blood and the semen is the species of man, for as far as man's nature is known, he is living, reasonable, and mortal. It is therefore impossible that man should be free from this species of evil. You will, nevertheless, find that the evils of the above kind which befall man are very few and rare.

It must be admitted as a fact that it cannot be said of God that He directly creates evil, or He has the direct intention to produce evil; this is impossible His works are all perfectly good. He only produces existence, and all existence is good. God is perfect goodness, and that all that comes from Him is absolutely good. Consequently the true work of God is all good, since it is existence. ALL the great evils which men cause to each other because of certain intentions, desires, opinions, or religious principles, are likewise due to non-existence, because they originate in ignorance, which is absence of wisdom. The numerous evils to which individual persons are exposed are due to the defects existing in the persons themselves. We suffer from the evils which we, by our own free will, inflict on ourselves and ascribe them to God, who is far from being connected with them. Man himself is the author of this class of evils. The error of the ignorant goes so far as to say that God's power is insufficient, because He has given to this Universe the properties which they imagine cause these great evils." Maimonides

Though it is true that in the Garden of Eden the lamb would lie down with the lion but then Adam and Eve transgressed the command to not partake of the forbidden fruit and thus death, suffering, and evil began in the world. My professor would argue, "Why didn't God, who is all powerful, all knowing, and an all loving God simply make man perfect like Himself and he could have all the free will and yet make perfect decisions and never choose evil and never bring evil into the world?"
Because He didn't want robots. Even the angels are able to think for themselves.

All I can figure is God must be a democrat.

However, the atheist has it far worse as they have to explain everything else.

I look at it this way, evil is described as "darkness". What is darkness? Darkness does not really exist, rather, darkness is merely a way to describe the lack of light. When there is no light, you suffer blindness. Only God can turn on the light.
I dunno about ghod, but Jesus sure would have been if he had been real.

I dunno about ghod, but Jesus sure would have been if he had been real.
Sure about that?

Why there is evil in the world: Because God is not a tyrant. Whatever he creates he sets free, and so bad things do happen. When tragedy strikes, God also has the power to overcome that tragedy, which brings about good.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back