Do you support student loan forgiveness?

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
If you had a government made up of people who would pay off your maxed out credit cards, your mortgage, and force other taxpayers to cover your car payments would you vote for it? There is little doubt that many would jump on that train before it even stopped moving. You are never going to get that deal from any sane government but there is something brewing that comes remarkably close to that and it has been gaining support since about 2016 when an election did not go the Way Washington planned it.

The US government responded to the Sputnik scare in 1957 by guaranteeing student loans so the country would not lose scientific ground to the former Soviet Union. But education in America has been a bitter disappointment with literacy rates that have plummeted ever since. Moreover, education has shifted in the US in recent years to rote leftist indoctrination. The Great Society has been a dismal failure and the chaos and crime that pervades cities and towns across America bear witness to the folly of bad central planning.

Yet there are organized, well-funded groups that clamor for student debt forgiveness which would be nothing more than protection money for bad education. Hard working taxpayers would labor to pay the government to support an educational system that has struck gold by brainwashing citizens to hate the country and the people in it. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez has just issued a warning to President Biden that he will lose support of a powerful wing of his party if he does not force ordinary citizens to foot the bill for bad student debt.

What are your thoughts on this?

‘Collapse of support’: AOC warns Biden’s poll numbers could signal poor turnout among Dems

yes. Up to a point.

The better idea would be to have a system to where you go to college for free on Uncle Sam's dime and repay the costs over your work lifetime (sort of the reverse social security).
I might actually go along with something like that idea.

As I understand it, current law allows for student loans to be forgiven on an individual basis, for extenuating circumstances. Frankly, I do not believe the federal gov't ought to be in the student loan business in the 1st place. I would not go any further than what the current law provides. Then there's the question of who's loans are forgiven.

Despite her best intentions and her description of her plan as “progressive,” in fact, the bulk of the benefits from Sen. Warren’s proposal would go to the top 40% of households because they have the bulk of the loans. Borrowers with advanced degrees represent 27% of borrowers, and would get 37% of the benefit.
VoterVitals_Looney_SenatorWarrensProposal

Loan forgiveness proposals also raise questions of fairness: Is forgiving all or some outstanding loans fair to those who worked hard to pay off their debts? Is it fair to taxpayers who did not attend college?

What's next? Mortgages? Car loans?

I support forcing colleges and universities to pay that money back; they ran a swindle and need to pay for it. It would mostly help the middle class and rich, anyway, not poor people; they're already bankrupt.
Yep, they are as involved in the scam as much as the .gov.....more so really.

Have you ever seen the endowment funds of the big name universities.....They could damn sure afford it.

Harvard has 53 billion.
List of colleges and universities in the United States by endowment - Wikipedia

I'd support being able to discharge the loans in bankruptcy like any other loan.....The problem with that is the dems would then weaken bankruptcy penalties so much it would be meaningless.

Nope...I have multiple degrees (the last in 2018) and not a cent of student debt.

It can be done.

Serve your nation.

Kill and/or facilitate the deaths of those who oppose our global financial, and political hegemony.

Then YOUR debts will be forgiven, and your school will be free.

Like ME.

Lazy fuckin hippies.

If you had a government made up of people who would pay off your maxed out credit cards, your mortgage, and force other taxpayers to cover your car payments would you vote for it? There is little doubt that many would jump on that train before it even stopped moving. You are never going to get that deal from any sane government but there is something brewing that comes remarkably close to that and it has been gaining support since about 2016 when an election did not go the Way Washington planned it.

The US government responded to the Sputnik scare in 1957 by guaranteeing student loans so the country would not lose scientific ground to the former Soviet Union. But education in America has been a bitter disappointment with literacy rates that have plummeted ever since. Moreover, education has shifted in the US in recent years to rote leftist indoctrination. The Great Society has been a dismal failure and the chaos and crime that pervades cities and towns across America bear witness to the folly of bad central planning.

Yet there are organized, well-funded groups that clamor for student debt forgiveness which would be nothing more than protection money for bad education. Hard working taxpayers would labor to pay the government to support an educational system that has struck gold by brainwashing citizens to hate the country and the people in it. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez has just issued a warning to President Biden that he will lose support of a powerful wing of his party if he does not force ordinary citizens to foot the bill for bad student debt.

What are your thoughts on this?

‘Collapse of support’: AOC warns Biden’s poll numbers could signal poor turnout among Dems

NO----

Time for mooches to grow up and pay off their own bills instead of bankrupting the US. I had to work when I got out of high school and then pay for my own college---so should they, it would teach to appreciate what they have, slow down the college parties, and learn responsibility.

I'm in favor of forgiveness on the compounding interest. In no way should the principal be forgiven. The problem with some of these loans is people are making monthly payments and in some cases the debt continues to grow. That is lender greed that is fucking over a lot of young people.

I worked graveyard. I paid for every class and every book. I HATE deadbeats.

Another guy I know worked swing shift. In time, he EARNED a law degree. After a while he was hired by a law firm. He ran out and bought himself a sporty little Mercedes. This guy deserved it!

Fuck the maggots who expect everything to be given to them. Let the whiners who live with their hands out go join BLM. It's probably all they'll ever be good for.

I support forcing colleges and universities to pay that money back; they ran a swindle and need to pay for it. It would mostly help the middle class and rich, anyway, not poor people; they're already bankrupt.
Uh, in most cases, colleges and universities are funded by the state, so you would be merely shifting the cost to your state's taxpayers.

Nonsense. Government kept making school loans easier and easier to obtain. Increasing the loan the loan amounts. Schools had more and more applicants all able to pay more so, tuitions increased. It seems that no one ever told them that a degree in gender studies or ancient musical instruments would not pay a nice six figure salary allowing them to pay off their LOANS.

To even discuss such a plan is outrageous.

In my state now: offering student loan forgiveness if college students become teachers. We are that desperate. It's very bad.

But you know, let it all burn. I'm sure it will be fine

Nonsense. Government kept making school loans easier and easier to obtain. Increasing the loan the loan amounts. Schools had more and more applicants all able to pay more so, tuitions increased. It seems that no one ever told them that a degree in gender studies or ancient musical instruments would not pay a nice six figure salary allowing them to pay off their LOANS.

To even discuss such a plan is outrageous.

Rubbish. They comitted fraud, lying to people and charging outrageous fees and tuition to line their own pockets and warm seats, and blew it on big building projects, all to enhance their own lifestyles.

Ridgerunner 2
As I understand it, current law allows for student loans to be forgiven on an individual basis, for extenuating circumstances. Frankly, I do not believe the federal gov't ought to be in the student loan business in the 1st place. I would not go any further than what the current law provides. Then there's the question of who's loans are forgiven.

Despite her best intentions and her description of her plan as “progressive,” in fact, the bulk of the benefits from Sen. Warren’s proposal would go to the top 40% of households because they have the bulk of the loans. Borrowers with advanced degrees represent 27% of borrowers, and would get 37% of the benefit.
VoterVitals_Looney_SenatorWarrensProposal

Loan forgiveness proposals also raise questions of fairness: Is forgiving all or some outstanding loans fair to those who worked hard to pay off their debts? Is it fair to taxpayers who did not attend college?

What's next? Mortgages? Car loans?
I'd vote for forgiveness of motorcycle loans! :D :D

Uh, in most cases, colleges and universities are funded by the state, so you would be merely shifting the cost to your state's taxpayers.

Um, in most cases, if all those unqualified socially promoted illiterate seat warmers with high self-esteem weren't there, the costs of college would drop and be more affordable to those who actually did the work.

Forum List

Back