Do you support student loan forgiveness?

Lol. The scam is not the education my dear, it’s the cost.

Funny how we agree on this issue, yet you misconstrue my position. Why is it you duopoly types cant even get along with outsiders when we agree on an issue?

The costs are outrageous compared to the revenue that is allegedly generated by semi-pro football. I'll agree with you on that.

I don’t believe the scam that higher education has become is solely the fault of politicians. The leading administrators of academia hold greater responsibility. Easy government student loan programs hold responsibility too. State politicians have some authority over their state universities, so they hold responsibility

It’s all about greed by the elites, like so much in our society today.
True. If you look around you'll see universities and colleges with huge building and expansion programs going on, funded partly by increased tuitions made possible by guaranteed student loans. Teachers and administrators care more about the System than the students. The students are temporary, the edifice of the System is permanent.

True. If you look around you'll see universities and colleges with huge building and expansion programs going on, funded partly by increased tuitions made possible by guaranteed student loans. Teachers and administrators care more about the System than the students. The students are temporary, the edifice of the System is permanent.
Very true. This applies to public universities just as much as private ones. Proving government entities are just as greedy as private ones.

I went to a very large public university 40 years ago, majoring in business. I worked part time and easily afforded my tuition, books, and room and board. That same university has built numerous new buildings since I attended. Top quality construction all around, yet the student population has dropped since my time.

I tend to think this is a consequence of our elite class losing all morals and ethics. They are all about enriching themselves without concern for improving our society through education.

I'm in favor of forgiveness on the compounding interest. In no way should the principal be forgiven. The problem with some of these loans is people are making monthly payments and in some cases the debt continues to grow. That is lender greed that is fucking over a lot of young people.

Why should the government just pay the interest?

I paid of my loans within 15 years, and that was with a one time re-finance for a lower rate. Payments were between $100-$200 a month (late 90's to early 2010's)

Very true. This applies to public universities just as much as private ones. Proving government entities are just as greedy as private ones.

I went to a very large public university 40 years ago, majoring in business. I worked part time and easily afforded my tuition, books, and room and board. That same university has built numerous new buildings since I attended. Top quality construction all around, yet the student population has dropped since my time.

I tend to think this is a consequence of our elite class losing all morals and ethics. They are all about enriching themselves without concern for improving our society through education.
You nailed it. The most needed knowledge is virtually ignored by our schools. They have failed to provide the knowledge regarding mental and physical well-being, material security, and public and private safety.

If you had a government made up of people who would pay off your maxed out credit cards, your mortgage, and force other taxpayers to cover your car payments would you vote for it? There is little doubt that many would jump on that train before it even stopped moving. You are never going to get that deal from any sane government but there is something brewing that comes remarkably close to that and it has been gaining support since about 2016 when an election did not go the Way Washington planned it.

The US government responded to the Sputnik scare in 1957 by guaranteeing student loans so the country would not lose scientific ground to the former Soviet Union. But education in America has been a bitter disappointment with literacy rates that have plummeted ever since. Moreover, education has shifted in the US in recent years to rote leftist indoctrination. The Great Society has been a dismal failure and the chaos and crime that pervades cities and towns across America bear witness to the folly of bad central planning.

Yet there are organized, well-funded groups that clamor for student debt forgiveness which would be nothing more than protection money for bad education. Hard working taxpayers would labor to pay the government to support an educational system that has struck gold by brainwashing citizens to hate the country and the people in it. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez has just issued a warning to President Biden that he will lose support of a powerful wing of his party if he does not force ordinary citizens to foot the bill for bad student debt.

What are your thoughts on this?

‘Collapse of support’: AOC warns Biden’s poll numbers could signal poor turnout among Dems

If they can forgive PPP loans to wealthy people they can forgive student loans.

My son has a student loan balance of $50,000, that after 10 years of making interest only payments. His degree is worthless to him as he would have to move out of the state to find a job, and at half of what he earns as a concrete finisher. He'll never pay off the loan.
Your son borrowed fifty thousand dollars, to go to college to learn to be a concrete finisher?
HIs degree is in Art Education.

What kind of job did he think he was going to get with a degree in Art Education?

I'm particularly unsympathetic to the plight of mute donkeys who went deeply into debt to pay for an “education” in such a useless field. Did you not even try to raise him to have more common sense than that?

My son has a student loan balance of $50,000, that after 10 years of making interest only payments. His degree is worthless to him as he would have to move out of the state to find a job, and at half of what he earns as a concrete finisher. He'll never pay off the loan.
Then he should have gotten a degree that was worth something. He's obviously doing better in a trade than using that "valuable" expensive degree the HE decided to borrow money to pay for.

What, specifically?
How to live peaceably and successfully with fellow man. School is all about competition, not cooperation. Schools should be run like the military.

Army instructor: "You will learn this stuff." And learn we did.

Then he should have gotten a degree that was worth something. He's obviously doing better in a trade than using that "valuable" expensive degree the HE decided to borrow money to pay for.
True that he should have done more research.

I reluctantly support it. I understand the arguments about teaching them responsibility and paying of debts. They are valid. But here's how I look at it:

We don't let 18 year olds legally drink or buy handguns, because they don't have the maturity and judgement to not hurt themselves. We don't let 18 year olds borrow large amounts of money to start businesses, no matter how good their plan might be. But we (our government) has conned these young adults into borrowing tens of thousands of dollars to attend state-run colleges that prepare perhaps a quarter of their students to find a job that pays more than a job they could have found right after high school.

Combined with Obamacare's requirement that they be treated as dependent children for health insurance purposes until the age of twenty-six, student loan is part of a very successful scheme to make them the failure-to-launch generation.

All of that was voted in by representatives of their parents, who were eager to have them leave the nest with financial means not provided by parents. The kids were ripped off, and have just as much "right" to vote themselves out of debt as their parents had to vote them into debt.

BTW, if we forgive student loan debt, it should definitely be accompanied by ending the federally funded student loan program for good. Sadly, those who support the first would rarely support the second. Student loan has turned into welfare for Gen-Whatever that wants to extend their childhoods.

Students whose debt is forgiven should give up their degrees as well.

Students whose debt is forgiven should give up their degrees as well.
Yeah because we Americans like to punish other Americans who are only trying to better themselves and the country.

Can’t fix stupid.

Yep it was another gov. Scam where they fooled kids into thinking they could pay it all back , with the “ find you a job bs”.

The best training is hands on, or a trade school, these Universities are to indoctrinate the unknowing on how to be a bigger leftist idiot. That is a serious occurrence and has been

Forum List

Back