Different versions of the bible.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
A Christian refers to a follower of Jesus Christ who may be a Catholic, Protestant, Gnostic, Mormon, Evangelical, Anglican or Orthodox, or follower of another branch of the religion. A Catholic is a Christian who follows the Catholic religion as transmitted through the succession of Popes.

Is this true? I was googling around and Alpha And Omega is supposedly the best "transcribed" bible, true to the translations of the times. Which goes along with what I have always said.....some of the gospels were left out, some not transcribed correctly due to the agendas of the times, etc. So I go googling and there are MANY bibles with different "versions". So which one is the best, in your opinion?

What version of the Bible do y'all read?

And finally, my last question for awhile:

What does it mean when a passage in the bible states that only 144,000 will be sent to Jesus when He appears? Surely there are more than that amount of people that are good and not evil?

Gracie. Nothing beats KJ for beauty of verse. But in my opinion, many people today need a version whose wording is as close to KJ as possible and in my opinion also..a good study bible where one actually reads the notes.

My favorite right now is the Life Application Study Bible NLT New Living Translation.

I really enjoy this bible but it seems i still memorize mostly in KJ version.

KJV because it is the most accurate translation, but I don't know what that makes me.

I am not in any of those categories. I don't care. I know I'm a sinner, and I know who made me, and who His Son is. I pray every night and pray when I'm alone in the day. I view it as a relationship with God, not as a religion I need to be strict and pious about.

Ten Commandments in Ebonic

1. I’m God. Don’t play me. (I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have any other gods before me.)

2. Don’t be making any hood ornaments and charms outta me, or like me. (Thou shalt not! have any graven images)

3. Don’t be callin’ me for no reason (Thou shalt not use the name of the Lord thy God in vain)

4. Y’all betta be in church on Sunday, and not just the Sundays when it’s Mother’s Day, Easter, and Christmas (Remember to keep the Sabbath day holy)

5. Don’t diss or cuss out yo' momma….and if you know who ya daddy is, don't diss him either. (Honor thy father and mother) READ ALSO List of spices in The Bible and their uses

6. Don’t be goin' on no drive-by's (Thou shalt not kill)

7. Stick to ya` own Boo. (Thou shalt not commit adultery)

8. Don’t be borrowing stuff and not give it back. (Thou shalt not steal)

9. Don’t be snitchin' on the other man to save yourself. (Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy brother)

10. Don’t be eyein' ya homies crib, ride or woman. (Thou shalt not covet anything that belongs to thy brother)

The ten commandments in Ebonics

The thing to remember about the Bible is that, while it's an absolutely fascinating book, it's fiction.

Christians will tell you that it's "the divine word of God", or some other similar bullshit, yet the Bible wasn't written for some time after Christ's death. Jesus is quoted often in the Bible, but no one alive when Christ was alive was involved in writing the Bible.

According to both the Jewish and Christian faiths, the first five books of the Bible (and the entirety of the Torah) were all written by Moses in about 1,300 B.C. That's debatable, though, because Deuteronomy claims the author dies and is buried. Writing about the author's demise would be impossible if you were the author.

Here's a really good write up I found on the Bible, both Old and New Testaments: The Bible

The biggest issue I have with the Bible is actually so in your face that many people (my ex-mother-in-law among them) don't even notice it.

Mark? Paul? Matthew? John? Peter? Mary?

These are western names, and not names which likely would have ever been heard by someone living in Jerusalem, or anywhere in Israel, frankly.

I've read the Bible, cover to cover, twice. It's fascinating. At times it can be difficult to read, but it's a great story. But that's all it is: a story...

My sister called me yesterday. We do not get along. However, for once it was a very pleasant convo.

She is a major thumper. Big time. Even build a small chapel in her garden. During the convo, the things she was saying about herself, on how she wanted to be a good christian, it made me feel....I dunno..hard to explain....envy? That she was so invested in it. I wondered why she just couldn't love God without the book. Which made me do a search today. So many versions. So confusing. I don't know if I want to tackle it or not. I am very much like Confedrate Soldier. Why do I need to read that book to be a good person in God's eyes?

Then there is the Rapture and Tribulation. Arguments from what I saw on Google of which one comes first. Then the 144k ONLY making it to sit beside God afterwards or one or the other. Why only 144k in the whole world? Why that number? And why so few?

A Christian refers to a follower of Jesus Christ who may be a Catholic, Protestant, Gnostic, Mormon, Evangelical, Anglican or Orthodox, or follower of another branch of the religion. A Catholic is a Christian who follows the Catholic religion as transmitted through the succession of Popes.

Is this true? I was googling around and Alpha And Omega is supposedly the best "transcribed" bible, true to the translations of the times. Which goes along with what I have always said.....some of the gospels were left out, some not transcribed correctly due to the agendas of the times, etc. So I go googling and there are MANY bibles with different "versions". So which one is the best, in your opinion?

What does it mean when a passage in the bible states that only 144,000 will be sent to Jesus when He appears? Surely there are more than that amount of people that are good and not evil?

144,000 just means a big number.

One of the links I stumbled across said KJV was the best transcribed and true to the translations..but it was harder to read due to the parables.

Then there is the catholic bible, like what I said in the OP. Why do they have a different one? Same with Mormons?

(Now maybe many will understand why I have not read it completely. Too many choices and which one is the truest?)

Why do I need to read that book to be a good person in God's eyes?

It's God's letter to you. We are lucky that we have this. When Jesus preached those people were so lucky to see him, hear him, be with him. We don't have that but we have the words that he left us. The wisdom, the history, the life guide, lessons for life and living...it's awesome. Pray before reading it. Pray God gives you insight into what he is saying. As a beginner so to speak, he'll show you little things because that is all you can grasp...as you read more and understand more he'll open your eyes more.

Reading the book of Revelation that is the only book that you receive a blessing from reading or listening to it. But it would be too much for you now. You could start with matthew mark luke john move on to acts and romans. then some of the letter paul wrote.

Personally i love the history part. joshua judges, samuel, kings, chronicles.

The 144,000 will be Jews living at the time of tribulation who will be under special protection by God to evangelize the world before Jesus' coming. It's 12,000 each from each of the 12 tribes of Israel.

btw...you are not a good person. NO ONE is good. Only God is good. What God wants is a relationship with you and your belief in his son whom he sent to die for your sins so that you may have eternal life with Christ.

Not familiar with this "Alpha and Omega" Bible, nor who makes the claim that it's the best "transcribed" Bible.

Before answering, there are two thoughts to Bible translations. There is what is called "formal equivalency" and there is what is called "dynamic equivalency." The idea of Formal Equivalence is being a true word-for-word translation. Dynamic Equivalence focuses more on thought-for-thought translation.

A good student of the Bible would want the best translation available, and that would lead to an accurate word-for-word translation. But also, the Bible can be very difficult to understand. "Gird (up) your loins" would be an accurate translation, but what goes that mean? Loins?

So because of that, a novice student might want more of a thought-for-thought translation. What does the passage mean? So "gird your loins" will read as having your "minds that are alert and fully sober," "get your minds ready for good use," "prepare your minds for action," etc. depending on the translation. Often translations will try to strike a balance between the two translation techniques.

There are a good number of people who are King James only types. That's what English-speaking Protestants read prior to the 1970s, and memorized verses and the more poetic books like Psalms tend to read better.

I do believe some translations go way too far in translations. Beyond dynamic equivalence, there are translations that are paraphrases, such as The Message. They rearrange things to make the Bible a better read, but most believe they make it too simplistic and many believe they change the meanings too much (and twisting meanings is a big no-no). I personally stay away from it.

Personally, the main ones I read these days are New King James (NKJV), New American Standard (NASB), or NIV (New International) in that order of preference. A lot of people also like ESV (harder) or NLT (easier). I also like having good Bibles that are Study Bibles, that help give good background on what I am reading.

But I do agree that there are too many translations. Greed may certainly play a part in that. Some people want to profit off their version of the Bible. Others deliberately want to change the meaning, those with more political agendas. The sin of man comes into play, not surprising.

I have a 100 year old leather bound Bible that has books and maps in it none of my other bibles have, including my masonic one.

Forum List

Back