"Debris Field" found near the Titanic wreck site.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I am still betting on an implosion being the end of the sub. It is much easier to think about than the nightmare of just dying slowly.

At that depth, if it imploded the passengers would never know what hit them.

At that depth, the weight of the water pressure would crush them and their eyeballs would pop out.

The water pressure at 3800 meters depth at the site of the Titanic wreck is about 400 atmospheres (6000 PSI) - about the same as having 35 elephants on your shoulders.

Ain't I a fuckin' ray of sunshine?

At that depth, the weight of the water pressure would crush them and their eyeballs would pop out.

The water pressure at 3800 meters depth at the site of the Titanic wreck is about 400 atmospheres (6000 PSI) - about the same as having 35 elephants on your shoulders.

Ain't I a fuckin' ray of sunshine?

I read the best explanation of the pressure.

At the depth of the Titanic wreckage, if you shot a hole in a scuba tank, the water would flow IN. The air would not flow out.

Now lawsuits are being discussed. Previous lawsuits about cutting corners are being discussed too.
From what I have read about that sub this is almost a Darwin Award scenario. That thing was a disaster waiting to happen.

It was completely uncertified, and the divers knew it and signed a waiver acknowledging it. An ex-company official said the port was only rated to 1,200 meters. The vessel was not depth-rated by any competent authority.

The sub was a 5" thick carbon fiber tube with the single acrylic port. Inside it was just an empty can with 3 video monitors, and controlled with a video game controller. It had a single button, an on-off button. That was all. No "E-stop" even, or a mechanical fail-safe that would drop weights and return it to the surface in an emergency.

Real DSV's go through rigorous testing and certifications, and have appropriate safety margins and fail-safes. The head of the company (who perished on the dive) had previously said regulations in the industry were strangling the underwater tourism business.

There are all kinds of regulations that apply when boats hire out to take people on the water. These guys just ignored them all and wrote their own rules.

And it seems the people who climbed inside were aware of all this, and did it anyway.

I'm a diver and not a subaphobe, but I wouldn't get into that thing for all the money in the world. It was a death trap at any depth beyond conventional recovery methods. And it lacked the most basic safety features.

It's not complicated to have a couple tanks filled with gasoline or other light hydrocarbon mounted above the pressure vessel, and weights with mechanical releases hanging below. In normal operation, the weights offset the buoyancy of the gasoline, and the sub is neutral. In an emergency, you release the weights and there is no way to keep the sub from surfacing.

Very simple to do that.

From what I have read about that sub this is almost a Darwin Award scenario. That thing was a disaster waiting to happen.

It was completely uncertified, and the divers knew it and signed a waiver acknowledging it. An ex-company official said the port was only rated to 1,200 meters. The vessel was not depth-rated by any competent authority.

The sub was a 5" thick carbon fiber tube with the single acrylic port. Inside it was just an empty can with 3 video monitors, and controlled with a video game controller. It had a single button, an on-off button. That was all. No "E-stop" even, or a mechanical fail-safe that would drop weights and return it to the surface in an emergency.

Real DSV's go through rigorous testing and certifications, and have appropriate safety margins and fail-safes. The head of the company (who perished on the dive) had previously said regulations in the industry were strangling the underwater tourism business.

There are all kinds of regulations that apply when boats hire out to take people on the water. These guys just ignored them all and wrote their own rules.

And it seems the people who climbed inside were aware of all this, and did it anyway.
If they were leaning toward being libertarians they would be opposed to regulations and certification. The ridiculous political mindset comes back to bite every time.

The craft has made a number of trips before this one.

They knew the risks much better than you or I.

Regardless, we will still learn from this apparent tragedy.

Forum List

Back