Zone1 cutting the sign of a cross into a loaf of bread before eating

Then that is something else all together and NO I've never nor have I ever seen anyone else cut a cross into the bread before consuming it.

I sill can't find anything in the Bible about cutting vs tearing or breaking the bread, so I'm not sure where or why I thought that. BUT also, throughout the Bible it does speak of why bread is broken or torn........as a symbol of Christ's body being broken for us on the cross.
i have my own mother seen doing it whenever she cut bread from a new loaf.

that was a normal custom then.

Then that is something else all together and NO I've never nor have I ever seen anyone else cut a cross into the bread before consuming it.

I sill can't find anything in the Bible about cutting vs tearing or breaking the bread, so I'm not sure where or why I thought that. BUT also, throughout the Bible it does speak of why bread is broken or torn........as a symbol of Christ's body being broken for us on the cross.

Sounds like a pagan ritual that was simply re-named once the Crusaders arrived ... 5th or 6th Century Catholics might not have been as picky ... we of the mechanized era tend to forget how much manual labor it takes to produce a loaf of bread ... in times where starvation was very common, the foods we eat are powerful symbols in all cultures ... not just Christian ...

I've only seen a dinner roll physically broken in half to start communion ... but then again my parents weren't really church-going type of folks either ... maybe I'm suspicious of ritual not clearly laid out in the Bible ... especially doctrines that exclude ritual that IS clearly laid out ... just seems hypocritical to me ...

I don't think the OP is talking about the Englishing world ... not since the Tutors ... try a Germaning message board? ...

Ah, it's a religious thing.

Suddenly less interesting.

Sorry.
He is the least interesting person on Earth. You and I are polar opposites politically, but at least we can make the forums fun. This guy should be banned for being so god damn boring. :dunno:

Forum List

Back