Zone1 cutting the sign of a cross into a loaf of bread before eating

this was once done in Catholic and Orthodox parts of Europe

The Englishing world is generally Protestant ... ancient Catholic customs may not be well understood ... more saints than pagans have gods ...

So ... tell us all about it ... we're talking about the sign of bread ... that's a new one on me ...

The Englishing world is generally Protestant ... ancient Catholic customs may not be well understood ... more saints than pagans have gods ...

So ... tell us all about it ... we're talking about the sign of bread ... that's a new one on me ...

my own mother always did so ….. but this fine old custom is on the way out now

who know this good old custom?
I never even heard of the "sign of bread".

But go ahead and clue us in.

1711714919616.png

sorry about my typo

here is the correction

Cutting the sign of a Cross into the loaf!

You said it was Catholic ... and you haven't explain what it is either ...

Is this a local custom? ... nothing like this is done in the United States that I know of ...
once it was done all over Catholic Europe

maybe US.citizens with ancestors from Catholic parts still know …

different sorts of bread. then!

Possibly, but it is mentioned in the Bible to tear or break the bread.......as a Hebrew tradition and if the bread is cut with a knife, is not a Hebrew thing.

I know the Bible speaks specifically to this, but I don't remember which verse exactly since the Bible speaks often about breaking the bread.

i am not speaking of the days of Jesus, but of the recent times in Central Europe.

i am not speaking of the days of Jesus, but of the recent times in Central Europe.

Then that is something else all together and NO I've never nor have I ever seen anyone else cut a cross into the bread before consuming it.

I sill can't find anything in the Bible about cutting vs tearing or breaking the bread, so I'm not sure where or why I thought that. BUT also, throughout the Bible it does speak of why bread is broken or torn........as a symbol of Christ's body being broken for us on the cross.

Forum List

Back