Confidence in Elections Waning

Of course it's waning.

When one party is in the thrall of an insecure sociopathic narcissist whose entire MO is to never admit defeat, even if he has to lie his head off and assault the institutions of the republic by claiming the election is rigged, why would anyone expect otherwise?
So Democrats are now following Trump? That is why the Democratic Party numbers are slipping? Republican numbers held steady at 26%, Independents dropped 8 points and Democrats dropped 21 points. This isn't just Republicans, this is everyone, I know you want to blame just Republicans but the facts don't fit your case.

I don’t know how you keep getting this wrong.

A true democracy doesn’t vote for president. They don’t vote for anyone.

If you vote for people to represent you in government, you’re a republic.
Me thinks you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
Go back and read that post, then read my post. I explained it to you.

Its primarily republicans who can't believe their cult leader has been denounced so loudly....

The problem they have is that
if you don't like what the news is telling you; you invent your own.
if you don't like what the medical community is telling you; you invent your own.
if you don't like what the history says about your past, you invent your own.

So far...

You can't just invent your own country.

Which is why there is almost a weekly conservative whack job here who wants to create their own country or threatening to murder anyone who they disagree with in this one.
The Republican numbers are virtually unchanged from January, the Independents have slipped by eight points and the Democrats have dropped 21 points. Why have the Democrat numbers slipped? So far you have had no real answer to why the Democrats confidence is down by quite a large number in just eight short months.

Honestly, I don't trust any media outlet or political outfit very much on anything.

The past year we have seen an amazing uptick in half truths, only parts of the whole story, information left out, irrational emotion, and a lot of "I don't like that so it's labeled as misinformation". Politics and money and fear mongering are behind a lot of it.

Today were in an age where the higher ups don't have to prove anything, they say something and we're expected to just believe it. They never talk about alternatives, options, background research, or anything when they make a statement. They don't want to prove anything.

So I am distrustful of everyone unless I know them personally.

Back in January 59% of Americans had confidence in the elections that elections reflected the will of the people. Today 52% of Americans: don't have confidence that our elections reflect the will of the people. To me that is quite the swing.

Democrats and independents, though, are driving a drop in confidence that American elections reflect the will of the people. A narrow majority overall, 52%, now say they lack that confidence, up from 40% who felt that way in January. Among Democrats, confidence has dipped from 90% in January to 69% now, and among independents, it's fallen from 54% to 46% over that time, while Republican confidence has held about even and now stands at 24%.

My comment: The lack of confidence in the election process should concern us all as it seems our confidence in a 245 year old process is now not trusted by most Americans.

What can we do to stop this trend or is it too late?
Interesting link, but it shows two distinct things, at least to me. 1) A maj of gopers accept Trump's lie. No court bought it, and even his own AG told him he was being an idiot over a stolen election. 2) Dems are buying into the argument that restrictions enacted in red states suppress black/minority/poor votes and don't, as the gop claims, make elections more transparent. I'm not really sure that GA's law does this. Nor maybe Arizona's. But we'll see. I don't think Texas deserves any benefit of a doubt.

I'm not hopeful, but it seems to me this "cries out" for some bipartisan federal law that would apply to federal elections.

Not too many investigations into the fraud accusations in the 2020 election.
Having a governor change voting procedures without legislation IS a violation in itself, but.....

So you just go with your rhetoric.
Governor Abbot changed voting procedures in Texas without the Legislature. Guess what? The Republican Legislature sued him over it based on what you said, and lost.

You can make all the excuses you want, Johnlaw. The Pa. governor DID NOT have the authority to change a voting law
without the legislative branch of that state.
Oddly, courts disagree with you

Really? Were you asleep for the four years Democrats were fixated on the idea that Trump had cheated - that his Presidency was illegitimate - via Russian collusion? They simply couldn't accept that their leader (Clinton) had been denounced so loudly.

Did Clinton Concede? Yes.
Was collusion proven? Yes.

The GOP controlled US Senate...
1631810887078.png

1631811019279.png

1631811089718.png

This is the part where you make paranoid claims about everyone being against your blob.

The Republican numbers are virtually unchanged from January, the Independents have slipped by eight points and the Democrats have dropped 21 points. Why have the Democrat numbers slipped? So far you have had no real answer to why the Democrats confidence is down by quite a large number in just eight short months.

Well, if you don't think your vote counts...don't vote. Simple. If you're under the impression that everyone thinks the way you do...you have nothing to lose. For myself...I'll continue to vote. We'll see who comes out ahead.

Did Clinton Concede? Yes.
Was collusion proven? Yes.

I'm not interested in hearing how "it's different when we do it".

The point is, the insane partisanship and fear tactics are a problem with both parties, with our entire system. Trump was exceptionally egregious, but the problem isn't just him. It isn't just Republicans. Our system is fucked up.

This is the part where you make paranoid claims about everyone being against your blob.

LOL - not my blob.

Republicans and Trumpists have lied so much about election and voter fraud that this was the inevitable outcome: lower confidence in the greatest and best electoral system in the world.

You know what you need to to do to raise the confidence level again:

Easy....

Republicans need to stop lying about election and voter fraud and cease and desist in undermining our democratic institutions.
Why can’t you just post something impartial? I find elections to be iffy too as they never ask for my ID. I am talking about town elections where one or two votes may make a significant difference. Everything is Trump with you. Do you blame your ED on Trump too?

Me thinks you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
Go back and read that post, then read my post. I explained it to you.
I read your explanation.

It’s incorrect.

There’s this meme on the right about thumping chests about being a republic not a democracy. I think you’re getting this meme a little goofed up.

Then why is it that Democrats confidence is down from 90% to 69%? I get the Republican side, I don't understand the Democrats and the Independents slide.
I don't think of it as "down." I think the 2020 election artificially elevated it and it's slowly returning to previous levels.

Untitled.png

I'm not interested in hearing how "it's different when we do it".
Sorry it doesn't fit your "democrats never accepted defeat" narrative.
The point is, the insane partisanship and fear tactics are a problem with both parties, with our entire system. Trump was exceptionally egregious, but the problem isn't just him. It isn't just Republicans. Our system is fucked up.
There is little that is truly wrong with the way we elect Presidents. One thing that should be compacted is the "back office" stuff of having the electors meet 6 weeks after the election or whatever it is...then having the votes counted 3 weeks after that in Washington, then having 3 more weeks until the swearing in. But as for election security.... there were something like 8,000 elections on 11/3. President, House, Senate, Governors, State Legislatures, propositions, municipal races, judgeships, comptrollers, sheriffs.... There were at least 8,000 losers. Only one dork is complaining about election security...and has repeatedly. Never giving any proof.

Tell me; what objective data do you have that there is some big problem with the elections? A poll showing waning confidence? Gee...there are polls that show Americans want more documentaries in theaters as well...

What can we do to stop this trend or is it too late?
Nothing. Let them die off. As long as there are enough gullible, willing marks out there, there will be a GOP official pouring lies in their ears for money and for votes. All we can do is make them pay at the ballot box.

Make sure elections are conducted in an air tight manner. Every vote must be verified with a signature, photo i.d., and chain of custody. All vote counting must....at all times....be fully open to observers from both parties.
In other words, the exact opposite of the last election. If any of these criteria are violated the election is invalidated. Period.

Simple enough if people genuinely want to stop the cheating. But, of course, they don't. :(
Sorry do you know why Selma bridge incident happened?

There us many examples of voter disenfranchising, especially by the GOP... Look what they did in Florida to stop ex-Felons voting, this was in direct contradiction to peoples wishes...

Mail in voting is trusted all over the world... Computer not so much and you have a point there...

But lets be clear there is no evidence of mass voter fraud, it is actually very hard to do... Anomalies appear everywhere... On top of that any candidate from canvassing has a pretty good idea what in the boxes, canvasing now is highly organised and computerised...

This why the voter fraud thing is the Big Lie...GOP is desperate to put in as many barriers for voting as possible....

Forum List

Back