Confidence in Elections Waning

You're for mob rule....period. You're for a democracy and not a democrat republic. Not a sound way to
run a country as mob rule can create a runaway government. Our FF's knew of that consequence and tried to avoid it
by creating the democrat republic.

As for the gerrymandering, perhaps the democrats could figure out a way to win the governorship of some of those states.
If we had popular election for president, we'd still be a democratic republic.

Governorships don't result in less gerrymandering. It requires legislatures to pass laws against it. Those laws, surprisingly, are not being passed by gerrymandered legislatures who know they would lose their majority if they did so.

If we had popular election for president, we'd still be a democratic republic.

Governorships don't result in less gerrymandering. It requires legislatures to pass laws against it. Those laws, surprisingly, are not being passed by gerrymandered legislatures who know they would lose their majority if they did so.
No, you would have a democracy, Colfax

I see no advantages to our current system as opposed to what you guys call "mob rule" and it absolutely demonstrates disdain given you refer to the citizenry as a "mob" which is clearly a pejorative. For starters, there is no "unlimited majority rule". The constitution does still place limits on the actions of federal government.
Well, let's not be coy - you mostly want those restrictions removed. Or, at the very least, you interpret the Constitution as much less restrictive than conservatives and libertarians.
I think there's greater dangers on a party being able to control the government based on the support of a minority of the populace.
Yeah. That doesn't concern me much. If the power of government is properly limited, it just doesn't matter whether the President is supported by 48% of the people as opposed to 52%.

The thing is, ultimately, I don't see anything inherently righteous about majority rule. It's only real benefit is stability - ie we're less likely to have revolutions if the majority is appeased.

And that’s driven almost entirely by idiots who simply don’t like the results of the last election
So then why did the Democrats numbers drop by 21 points? Are you saying Democrats now are not happy with the results of Biden winning after eight months.

Back in January 59% of Americans had confidence in the elections that elections reflected the will of the people. Today 52% of Americans: don't have confidence that our elections reflect the will of the people. To me that is quite the swing.

Democrats and independents, though, are driving a drop in confidence that American elections reflect the will of the people. A narrow majority overall, 52%, now say they lack that confidence, up from 40% who felt that way in January. Among Democrats, confidence has dipped from 90% in January to 69% now, and among independents, it's fallen from 54% to 46% over that time, while Republican confidence has held about even and now stands at 24%.

My comment: The lack of confidence in the election process should concern us all as it seems our confidence in a 245 year old process is now not trusted by most Americans.

What can we do to stop this trend or is it too late?
Yup. Going forward, all Republicans should sit out every single election. That will teach the Democrats.

Back in January 59% of Americans had confidence in the elections that elections reflected the will of the people. Today 52% of Americans: don't have confidence that our elections reflect the will of the people. To me that is quite the swing.

Democrats and independents, though, are driving a drop in confidence that American elections reflect the will of the people. A narrow majority overall, 52%, now say they lack that confidence, up from 40% who felt that way in January. Among Democrats, confidence has dipped from 90% in January to 69% now, and among independents, it's fallen from 54% to 46% over that time, while Republican confidence has held about even and now stands at 24%.

My comment: The lack of confidence in the election process should concern us all as it seems our confidence in a 245 year old process is now not trusted by most Americans.

What can we do to stop this trend or is it too late?
I don't think Republicans should ever vote again. That'll show em!

I would rather have a representative republic, like the one we have. I'm just too, dang conservative for radical change, I guess.

Uh no. A democratic republic is where the public elect their leaders to represent them in government. That's still true with a popular vote for a president.

A democracy, strictly speaking, is a government where the people vote on each matter before the government rather than having representatives do so.

Reality is that we have had a new president for 9 months, and we know that's true because even those who claim fraud have been bashing him AS a president not doing a job to their standards. Cant have it both ways.

The reality many are figuring out is there is no way to audit an election. When simple things like votes not exceeding registered voters in a distract can't be verified people are going to loss confidence in elections.

Well, let's not be coy - you mostly want those restrictions removed. Or, at the very least, you interpret the Constitution as much less restrictive than conservatives and libertarians.
Not really. I think we need to strengthen restrictions, especially when it comes to police powers. The 4th amendment has been whittled down by the courts to the point that the police can basically exercise authority over you for almost any reason at all.

Of course it's waning.

When one party is in the thrall of an insecure sociopathic narcissist whose entire MO is to never admit defeat, even if he has to lie his head off and assault the institutions of the republic by claiming the election is rigged, why would anyone expect otherwise?

Uh no. A democratic republic is where the public elect their leaders to represent them in government. That's still true with a popular vote for a president.

A democracy, strictly speaking, is a government where the people vote on each matter before the government rather than having representatives do so.
Thank you, now go back and think through what you posted.
We ARE a democratic Republic. We don't elect a president, the electoral college does.
It's why the popular vote doesn't always elect a president

What you want is a democracy.
The guy with the most votes wins. period

It's just not Republicans but I know you can't think beyond your left leaning bias.

Its primarily republicans who can't believe their cult leader has been denounced so loudly....

The problem they have is that
if you don't like what the news is telling you; you invent your own.
if you don't like what the medical community is telling you; you invent your own.
if you don't like what the history says about your past, you invent your own.

So far...

You can't just invent your own country.

Which is why there is almost a weekly conservative whack job here who wants to create their own country or threatening to murder anyone who they disagree with in this one.

Not really. I think we need to strengthen restrictions, especially when it comes to police powers. The 4th amendment has been whittled down by the courts to the point that the police can basically exercise authority over you for almost any reason at all.
We'll revisit the next time you're arguing the opposite.

Thank you, now go back and think through what you posted.
We ARE a democratic Republic. We don't elect a president, the electoral college does.
It's why the popular vote doesn't always elect a president

What you want is a democracy.
The guy with the most votes wins. period
I don’t know how you keep getting this wrong.

A true democracy doesn’t vote for president. They don’t vote for anyone.

If you vote for people to represent you in government, you’re a republic.

Its primarily republicans who can't believe their cult leader has been denounced so loudly....

Really? Were you asleep for the four years Democrats were fixated on the idea that Trump had cheated - that his Presidency was illegitimate - via Russian collusion? They simply couldn't accept that their leader (Clinton) had been denounced so loudly.

Forum List

Back