Confidence in Elections Waning

Fix gerrymandering and the electoral college. Then i would agree that the elections reflect the will of the people.

What voter suppression laws?
I think it's the ones where, from what I gather, the Blacks are at a disadvantage and not bright enough
to have all the necessary paperwork like an ID or drivers license to prove who they are.
The Blacks in my life were quite intelligent and would have never fallen into that category.
But, Asclepias must know the stupid ones.

Big Lies work on all people if repeated frequently enough.
I lean right but I never thought the election was rigged. I believe there were errors but not enough to swing a state let alone several. I also don't believe that the drop with the Democrats was because of Trump, they hate anything he does and believe the opposite.

Fix gerrymandering and the electoral college. Then i would agree that the elections reflect the will of the people.
Gerrymandering works for both parties, I agree it is weird how these districts end up looking,
but both parties are at fault. As for your electoral college issue? We are not a mob rule country.
We have a thing where all the states are represented.

Do you mean like requiring an ID to vote? Yeah, spare us.
I’d say more like enabling politicians in the legislatures to have a hand in decertifying elections if they don’t like the outcome.

Gerrymandering can be fixed with multi-rep districts, though I see no problem with the electoral college - it's a feature, not a bug. And ranked choice voting will get rid of the "lesser-of-two-evils" crap. Neither of these efforts will be welcomed by the D and R partisans. That's why it is, and must be, a grassroots effort.

What are the active steps Dims are taking to improve confidence in elections? I will wait patiently for your response. :)

It's hard to overcome a firehose of lies. As the old saying goes - A lie will travel halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on.

There are a lot of low information people (of both parties) out there who get their news from Facebook and Chinese cult sites. And they hear endlessly about the fake audits and steps republicans are taking to suppress the vote in the name of "election integrity". They figure where there's smoke, there's gotta be fire.

So I really can't answer your question WQ. It's tough when these things have gone on as long as they have.

Gerrymandering works for both parties, I agree it is weird how these districts end up looking,
but both parties are at fault. As for your electoral college issue? We are not a mob rule country.
We have a thing where all the states are represented.
Gerrymandering works better for Republicans given their supporters are spread out. Democrats are moving in a direction that is pretty consistently away from it with nonpartisan redistricting. The vast majority of issues with gerrymandering, especially in the last 20 years, are with the Republicans.

My issue with the electoral college is that it doesn’t reflect the will of the people. You can agree or disagree that it should or shouldn’t do so, but it’s clear that it doesn’t reflect the will of the people (or the mob as people with disdain for our citizenry will call them).

Democrats are moving in a direction that is pretty consistently away from it with nonpartisan redistricting.
How?
My issue with the electoral college is that it doesn’t reflect the will of the people.
Exactly. It's not supposed to. It's supposed to reflect a consensus of the states.
You can agree or disagree that it should or shouldn’t do so, but it’s clear that it doesn’t reflect the will of the people (or the mob as people with disdain for our citizenry will call them).
Recognizing the error of mob rules does not imply disdain for the citizenry. It just acknowledges the dangers of unlimited majority rule. Do you deny those dangers?

I lean right but I never thought the election was rigged. I believe there were errors but not enough to swing a state let alone several. I also don't believe that the drop with the Democrats was because of Trump, they hate anything he does and believe the opposite.

But it wasn't just Trump repeating the Big Lie. It was the entire Republican Party. See #33

Gerrymandering works better for Republicans given their supporters are spread out. Democrats are moving in a direction that is pretty consistently away from it with nonpartisan redistricting. The vast majority of issues with gerrymandering, especially in the last 20 years, are with the Republicans.

My issue with the electoral college is that it doesn’t reflect the will of the people. You can agree or disagree that it should or shouldn’t do so, but it’s clear that it doesn’t reflect the will of the people (or the mob as people with disdain for our citizenry will call them).
You're for mob rule....period. You're for a democracy and not a democrat republic. Not a sound way to
run a country as mob rule can create a runaway government. Our FF's knew of that consequence and tried to avoid it
by creating the democrat republic.

As for the gerrymandering, perhaps the democrats could figure out a way to win the governorship of some of those states.

Forum List

Back