Christianity in a Nutshell

You can find the Apocalypses of James and Paul and Adam above.
Here is a good discussion on the early Christians.

Thanks.. That's one of my favorite pieces.. Everybody was writing about Jesus and it was very diverse.. In Arabia you had the Nestorian Christians which others considered heretics.

Well, no.. Revelation is disputed as to when it was written. Some scholars say 75 AD. some say 90 AD. Its pretty certain the Temple was already destroyed.

John the revelator was exiled to Patmos and most of it he's writing to the 7 Churches of Anatolia and the Med.
This is another example of the failure of Christians to think critically. The Revelator sent his vision to seven churches in Asia in the first century, yet they believe the Revelator was actually addressing people in the distant future.

Then they call it "code."
The extreme symbology used in Revelations or CODE was because they were still occupied by romans when it was written. They had to use that unusual and extreme symbology. So if you can't understand why revelations was written with such extreme symbology than any other book, you are the one devoid of critical thinking.
Oh, goody, I'm arguing with ding again, the man who knows what Revelation (singular) is about, yet insists that it's in code.
Good Lord, you sure are harping on one word. It should be obvious to everyone that revelations stands out from the other books of the NT because of its unusual and extreme use of symbolism. It's like no other book in the NT. The reason for this is because it would have been seditious to discuss the fall of the roman empire while rome was occupying and in control of those lands.

And I am not sharing with you my opinions. I am sharing with you the opinions of experts who I am almost certain know more than you.

Lastly, if you judge the content of my posts on anything other than the content of my posts, then that's on you, not me.

Apocalyptic literature was VERY popular for about 300 years and many apocalypses were written ( I'll post a link) I disagree that it was written in code. The people of the first century understood the symbolism perfectly. We don't because we don't study historical context.
Maybe code was a bad choice of words. They chose their words to conceal talk of sedition.

I think it was written to encourage the new Christians... to comfort them. That Nero and Domitian would be defeated by the truth of the word.
That sounds reasonable. But it certainly isn't about end times.

I think end times as the end of the world is false teaching.. I think its about the end of an age.. a new beginning. Jesus refers to it in the Sermon on the Mount when he speaks of living in the Kingdom of God.

You can find the Apocalypses of James and Paul and Adam above.
Here is a good discussion on the early Christians.

Thanks.. That's one of my favorite pieces.. Everybody was writing about Jesus and it was very diverse.. In Arabia you had the Nestorian Christians which others considered heretics.
Correct. Same thing happened with reformation.

Well, no.. Revelation is disputed as to when it was written. Some scholars say 75 AD. some say 90 AD. Its pretty certain the Temple was already destroyed.

John the revelator was exiled to Patmos and most of it he's writing to the 7 Churches of Anatolia and the Med.
This is another example of the failure of Christians to think critically. The Revelator sent his vision to seven churches in Asia in the first century, yet they believe the Revelator was actually addressing people in the distant future.

The extreme symbology used in Revelations or CODE was because they were still occupied by romans when it was written. They had to use that unusual and extreme symbology. So if you can't understand why revelations was written with such extreme symbology than any other book, you are the one devoid of critical thinking.
Oh, goody, I'm arguing with ding again, the man who knows what Revelation (singular) is about, yet insists that it's in code.
Good Lord, you sure are harping on one word. It should be obvious to everyone that revelations stands out from the other books of the NT because of its unusual and extreme use of symbolism. It's like no other book in the NT. The reason for this is because it would have been seditious to discuss the fall of the roman empire while rome was occupying and in control of those lands.

And I am not sharing with you my opinions. I am sharing with you the opinions of experts who I am almost certain know more than you.

Lastly, if you judge the content of my posts on anything other than the content of my posts, then that's on you, not me.

Apocalyptic literature was VERY popular for about 300 years and many apocalypses were written ( I'll post a link) I disagree that it was written in code. The people of the first century understood the symbolism perfectly. We don't because we don't study historical context.
Maybe code was a bad choice of words. They chose their words to conceal talk of sedition.

I think it was written to encourage the new Christians... to comfort them. That Nero and Domitian would be defeated by the truth of the word.

I think end times as the end of the world is false teaching.. I think its about the end of an age.. a new beginning. Jesus refers to it in the Sermon on the Mount when he speaks of living in the Kingdom of God.
Evangelicals take it to an extreme. They focus too much on it and miss His main message.

Evangelicals take it to an extreme. They focus too much on it and miss His main message.

Cyrus Scofield is the father of Evangelical doctrine.. and they are all about futurism, Armageddon and the Rapture.. They set dates and try to assign roles to Russia or the US or the Arab world. Its really bad scholarship.

What makes religion logical? Not much, generally speaking, in my opinion. I profess Christianity, then, not only for my personal experience through conversion, but also because it actually exhibits a certain logic, or historical and cultural cohesion.

In short, the Bible is history from ancient Israel’s perspective, which includes her prehistory as Adam (mankind) who roamed the wilderness for some 800 years or so without the God they once knew. Then ethnic Israel’s history begins with their patriarchs and their attempts to reconcile with God in their attempts at obedience (tabernacle, law, and a misguided devotion to ethnic progeny). This history ends with the destruction of the temple and hence the Law and any self-imposed rights to territory (detailed in the gospels, epistles, and the Apocalypse).

That’s it, really. That’s the Bible. Historically and culturally verifiable (generally speaking). And then comes Christianity, the seeds of which were planted in ethnic Israel’s eschaton. This new "heavenly" Israel, in its way, brings back to life the spiritual underpinnings that God initiated in the Garden. And it also correlates with history in its growth and its vision that government would rest on Christ's shoulders.

Like a fig tree in springtime, and indeed all trees in that season, the church was sprouting green shoots, but after the fall of the cult of temple, summer would come; the empire of the saints and their king would blossom, and eventually, in a most glorious and unstoppable way, would spread its branches throughout the world. Jesus knew this would begin to happen and happen soon—in his generation:

Look at the fig tree, and all the trees. As soon as they come out in leaf, you see for yourselves and know that the summer is already near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all has taken place. (Lk 21:29b-32).​

The historical accuracy of ethnic Israel’s prophecies really are kind of hard to deny. Just my two cents.
Ultimately norwegen
It has to make sense and ring true to the person to be their real beliefs and faith.
It has to make sense to them, as it has to make sense to us.

Religions are like languages for the laws.

So the purpose is to match the right terms, concepts and approaches to what people naturally follow as their native inborn language.

If one narrative doesn't work, we need to find and focus on what does to communicate with each person or group by their culture or tribal tongue.

Not all things are going to make sense to the same people. How Theists and Nontheists express truth are radically different and lose the other audience. Liberals and Conservatives don't define Govt the same way either, and may require separate administrations to manage both areas, like Protestants and Catholics under separate jurisdiction.

What is universal is love of truth, justice and peace. Everyone I know responds to these.

The difference is how we express these and our experiences we use as the framework.

Not all instruments in the orchestra play the same music in the same key. We are different for a reason, but if we all stick to our part, we can harmonize and still produce the symphony as designed.

Our parts may not make sense to each other. But the whole being greater than the sum of the parts is still perfect.
Actually in an orchestra, all the performers should be playing in the same key.

The Bible should not say different things to different people, or it's useless. I know that when most Christians come to a passage they don't understand, they just pass over it and say that some things are only for God to know.

And then they'll say the Bible is God's revealed word.

If they can't fill in the spaces, then do they really understand Christianity?

Cyrus Scofield is the father of Evangelical doctrine.. and they are all about futurism, Armageddon and the Rapture.. They set dates and try to assign roles to Russia or the US or the Arab world. Its really bad scholarship.
And not very intellectually deep. Most evangelicals believe that all they have to do is believe Jesus died for their sins. That's it. They can't say how that is supposed to manifest itself in making them better. There is no depth of understanding, just dogma.

I blame the reformation for equivocating faith and works and creating confusion which led to the simplification that all one has to do is believe. It's a little more complicated than that.

And not very intellectually deep. Most evangelicals believe that all they have to do is believe Jesus died for their sins. That's it. They can't say how that is supposed to manifest itself in making them better. There is no depth of understanding, just dogma.

I blame the reformation for equivocating faith and works and creating confusion which led to the simplification that all one has to do is believe. It's a little more complicated than that.

Seems to me that Martin Luther really had it in for the Catholic Church after his trip to Rome. Evangelicals in general reject education and science... preferring creationism .. literalism and rote learning.

What makes religion logical? Not much, generally speaking, in my opinion. I profess Christianity, then, not only for my personal experience through conversion, but also because it actually exhibits a certain logic, or historical and cultural cohesion.

In short, the Bible is history from ancient Israel’s perspective, which includes her prehistory as Adam (mankind) who roamed the wilderness for some 800 years or so without the God they once knew. Then ethnic Israel’s history begins with their patriarchs and their attempts to reconcile with God in their attempts at obedience (tabernacle, law, and a misguided devotion to ethnic progeny). This history ends with the destruction of the temple and hence the Law and any self-imposed rights to territory (detailed in the gospels, epistles, and the Apocalypse).

That’s it, really. That’s the Bible. Historically and culturally verifiable (generally speaking). And then comes Christianity, the seeds of which were planted in ethnic Israel’s eschaton. This new "heavenly" Israel, in its way, brings back to life the spiritual underpinnings that God initiated in the Garden. And it also correlates with history in its growth and its vision that government would rest on Christ's shoulders.

Like a fig tree in springtime, and indeed all trees in that season, the church was sprouting green shoots, but after the fall of the cult of temple, summer would come; the empire of the saints and their king would blossom, and eventually, in a most glorious and unstoppable way, would spread its branches throughout the world. Jesus knew this would begin to happen and happen soon—in his generation:

Look at the fig tree, and all the trees. As soon as they come out in leaf, you see for yourselves and know that the summer is already near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all has taken place. (Lk 21:29b-32).​

The historical accuracy of ethnic Israel’s prophecies really are kind of hard to deny. Just my two cents.
Ultimately norwegen
It has to make sense and ring true to the person to be their real beliefs and faith.

So the purpose is to match the right terms, concepts and approaches to what people naturally follow as their native inborn language.

If one narrative doesn't work, we need to find and focus on what does to communicate with each person or group by their culture or tribal tongue.

Not all things are going to make sense to the same people. How Theists and Nontheists express truth are radically different and lose the other audience. Liberals and Conservatives don't define Govt the same way either, and may require separate administrations to manage both areas, like Protestants and Catholics under separate jurisdiction.

What is universal is love of truth, justice and peace. Everyone I know responds to these.

The difference is how we express these and our experiences we use as the framework.

Not all instruments in the orchestra play the same music in the same key. We are different for a reason, but if we all stick to our part, we can harmonize and still produce the symphony as designed.

Our parts may not make sense to each other. But the whole being greater than the sum of the parts is still perfect.

The Bible should not say different things to different people, or it's useless. I know that when most Christians come to a passage they don't understand, they just pass over it and say that some things are only for God to know.

????
No that's not what I mean.
Harmony yes, but not the same key.
Do you understand flutes and clarinets do not read or play notes the same way?
They are both woodwinds and can play the same symphony.
But their sheet music cannot be exchanged,
the music has to be completely transcribed
in different keys for flutes, clarinets, etc.
Unless both instruments are played using the same key.

I think flute and piano are both in C.
Clarinet is a B flat instrument.

norwegen you end up with a caucophonous traffic jam if instruments
designed in different keys try to play each other's music.

The music must be translated for each instrument so they are playing the same sounds.

The music will be written differently.

Like not all people will speak English or Chinese. To communicate the same concept with the same connotations means careful translation.

The concepts can align but the words and expressions used are relative to convey the same meaning.

Ultimately norwegen

????
No that's not what I mean.
Harmony yes, but not the same key.
Do you understand flutes and clarinets do not read or play notes the same way?
They are both woodwinds and can play the same symphony.
But their sheet music cannot be exchanged,
the music has to be completely transcribed
in different keys for flutes, clarinets, etc.
Unless both instruments are played using the same key.

I think flute and piano are both in C.
Clarinet is a B flat instrument.

norwegen you end up with a caucophonous traffic jam if instruments
designed in different keys try to play each other's music.

The music must be translated for each instrument so they are playing the same sounds.

The music will be written differently.

Like not all people will speak English or Chinese. To communicate the same concept with the same connotations means careful translation.

The concepts can align but the words and expressions used are relative to convey the same meaning.
norwegen
Let me try giving examples of translating.

Jesus in some contexts means Salvation.

In other contexts Jesus as Lord of All
Means Equal Justice Under Law or
Universal Peace and Justice for All.

Holy Spirit can mean the spirit of truth, grace, healing, harmony, peace for all humanity united as one.

So transcribing this for different tribes or audiences, Christians may understand Jesus and the Holy Spirit collectively saving the people who receive this. While secular gentiles under natural laws who communicate in secular terms may understand the concepts of
Restorative Justice as Christ Jesus
Peace and Justice
Justice for All
Equal or Social Justice

Christianity can translate as Charity.
Where there is true charity for lovesake
And there is fake charity for show or personal gain.

God can mean Truth Love Creation Universal Laws Nature.Life Wisdom etc
In different contexts.

Nontheists and atheists can understand these meanings and manifestations called God if translated into terms that fit the context.

Not everyone is going to understand and respond to Buddhism Christianity Islam Constitutionalism etc.

These are different languages that can be used in different contexts and audiences to communicate and reach agreed understanding of laws or principles. Between one system to another, we may need to translate so people get the same idea from their own perspectives and experiences that make sense to them.

This is why Jesus spoke in parables, to reach people using their own understanding.

There is nothing remotely logical about your remarks above. Nothing. Christianity is illogical but you profess belief in it. The historical accuracies are hard to deny... but it's not logical.

That isn't right. It isn't even wrong. - Linus Pauling, Nobel Laureate in Physics

We do know for sure that the Earth will end in a few billion years when the Sun dies. Although I do suppose crazies could put an end to all life on Earth if they decide to go on a Nuclear rampage. But sure, I think in the Christian world it is taught in every generation that it is the end times. That is a good selling point to keep followers and religion is highly profitable.

I remember when I was a Christian growing up before I enlightened myself to what religion is. You would have to take Jesus in your heart and you will forever be saved. So you could do pretty much what you wanted and just confess your sins to Jesus and it would all be cleared. I thought that without loving Jesus and being saved that I would either go to hell or not ever live again.

It pretty much was a mind control program and I was glad when I broke myself out of the mind control. But to each their own.

There is mostly confusion about Christianity. Either it is over simplified or made too complex. The best approach is taking it in a Buddhist sense of direct pointing to the truth. Seek, knock, ask and see what happens. Reading or hearing about it could conceivably help, but is, after all, just 'hearsay'. Experience is the only reality. If you don't get it directly, you won't 'get it' indirectly.
Organized religions are man-made, essentially political structures. They may do some things right and they may do some things wrong. They are never the message, only (at best) a messenger.

I remember when I was a Christian growing up before I enlightened myself to what religion is. You would have to take Jesus in your heart and you will forever be saved. So you could do pretty much what you wanted and just confess your sins to Jesus and it would all be cleared. I thought that without loving Jesus and being saved that I would either go to hell or not ever live again.

It pretty much was a mind control program and I was glad when I broke myself out of the mind control. But to each their own.
Yeah, no. It's a good thing you became "enlightened" cause you weren't doing it right.

Oh. You are your own best expert advisor.. Must be your big brain.

There is nothing remotely logical about your remarks above. Nothing. Christianity is illogical but you profess belief in it. The historical accuracies are hard to deny... but it's not logical.

That isn't right. It isn't even wrong. - Linus Pauling, Nobel Laureate in Physics
In today's sophisticated world, religion is not logical. Christianity, on the other hand, is. It is highly historical and highly predictive.

So tell us now: what makes Christianity illogical?

Christianity in a Nutshell
“If you continue in My word, you are truly My disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
Does freedom come with immersion in a theology that Christians don't comprehend? That they shrug off as something that "surpasses their understanding," as they like to say?

Because that's what they do.
The thread title uses the term "nutshell". That means reduced to the most reduced essence. If anything does that, it is the provided quotation.
One may elaborate infinitely.

Forum List

Back