Catholics: Why did vocations to the priesthood go WAY down after Vatican II?

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021
I heard about this years ago but did not understand WHY that would be the case... that because Vat II got more liberal, there would be way fewer men called to the priesthood.

But I think i get it now... Men thought to themselves... If I dedicate my life to Christ and his Church... why, it had better be truly Christ and truly HIS Church I dedicate myself to...

This new "church" is just a bastardized version of... .of... well, no, it's not even really a version of what went before.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that last thing.... because the Real Presence has endured... in the novus ordo as well as the Traditional Church

but... well, I want to hear other Catholics' opinions and experiences on this...

Thanks

Because families stopped pushing their sons to become priests

I heard about this years ago but did not understand WHY that would be the case... that because Vat II got more liberal, there would be way fewer men called to the priesthood.

But I think i get it now... Men thought to themselves... If I dedicate my life to Christ and his Church... why, it had better be truly Christ and truly HIS Church I dedicate myself to...

This new "church" is just a bastardized version of... .of... well, no, it's not even really a version of what went before.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that last thing.... because the Real Presence has endured... in the novus ordo as well as the Traditional Church

but... well, I want to hear other Catholics' opinions and experiences on this...

Thanks
Ascribe to discipline, wear strange clothes, hang out with men, and you don't even get to shoot people or blow crap up in other countries? I can't imagine why it was ever popular.

Ascribe to discipline, wear strange clothes, hang out with men, and you don't even get to shoot people or blow crap up in other countries? I can't imagine why it was ever popular.
considering the way this crazy world is going

u may have a point...

People don't raise their children properly

Our country grew wealthier and so did Europe. There were more ways for poor people to make a living. During medieval times, the eldest son inherited the wealth and a pathway to government power. Younger sons were nudged toward the Church, which then had a role in government. Irish potato famine (I understand) had more Irish boys entering the priesthood and coming to America.

It was also an opportunity for farm boys who did not care for a life out in the fields. As careers and making a living switched from farming to manufacturing, to more and more white collar jobs, there a bigger selection in our work force.

Religion was being removed from public schools and public education, so fewer role models.

There is never one reason for anything. The world changes, and any number of changes can effect various careers and jobs.

Our country grew wealthier and so did Europe. There were more ways for poor people to make a living. During medieval times, the eldest son inherited the wealth and a pathway to government power. Younger sons were nudged toward the Church, which then had a role in government. Irish potato famine (I understand) had more Irish boys entering the priesthood and coming to America.

It was also an opportunity for farm boys who did not care for a life out in the fields. As careers and making a living switched from farming to manufacturing, to more and more white collar jobs, there a bigger selection in our work force.

Religion was being removed from public schools and public education, so fewer role models.

There is never one reason for anything. The world changes, and any number of changes can effect various careers and jobs.
thanks for this... will reply later

Thanks
I used to think Vatican II wasn't good, but then John 23rd became a canonized saint, so in fact, it must have been good in God's eyes. So I don't think Vatican II ushered in the liberal stuff of the 1960s. I think it just coincided with it. It is just a fact of life the more liberal atheist society becomes, the fewer men are called to the priesthood. Satan lures so many away from it.

I used to think Vatican II wasn't good, but then John 23rd became a canonized saint, so in fact, it must have been good in God's eyes. So I don't think Vatican II ushered in the liberal stuff of the 1960s. I think it just coincided with it. It is just a fact of life the more liberal atheist society becomes, the fewer men are called to the priesthood. Satan lures so many away from it.

Almighty God doesn't make the decision as to whom is canonized as a saint, you know. That's done by sitting popes. So in the case of John XXIII as well as Paul VI, it only indicates the fact that Pope Francis thinks that Vatican 2 was tremendous, not Almighty God.

Almighty God doesn't make the decision as to whom is canonized as a saint, you know. That's done by sitting popes. So in the case of John XXIII as well as Paul VI, it only indicates the fact that Pope Francis thinks that Vatican 2 was tremendous, not Almighty God.
Canonizations involve a lot more than a pope's opinion.

well, at this point, I don't agree and never thought John XXIII should be canonized... esp since Pius XII was not. The latter hid Jews in the Vatican and in monasteries during
WW II
and etc...

That said, I can't say I am an expert on John XXIII... I just do NOT like Vatican II and he started it

so how can he be a saint? The Douay Rheims Bible is supposed to be THE Catholic Bible.. and yet it was basically tossed aside after Vat II... and I could go on and on... it's almost like Vat II cancelled out Trent... But again, I am not thoroughly knowledgeable about such things.. I just have a cursory knowledge...

Canonizations involve a lot more than a pope's opinion.
they're SUPPOSED to... but anti-Catholic groups infiltrated the Vatican II council, Protestantizing the Mass, etc...
\
a lot of things have been turned upside down..

If the Catholic Church is the one established by Christ and some of us know it is... WHY... WHY would it have to change to suit some particular era in time?

it wouldn't

it shouldn't

but human beings ... well..

enough said...

I have been "into God" for decades now and I myself do not like Vatican II at all.. I feel (barring some information I may acquire in the future) that it should nver have happened.

God does bring good out of evil... that much I know from experience... :)

But that doesn't mean it is right for humans to do evil and going so far afield of our ancient ways... NOT good when you are talking about the Church Christ founded..

may work w/ other things, but NOT THAT

well, i was mostly focused on the PRIMARY reason for this in posters' opinions

again, I tend to think that since the Church became so... protestantized.. a lot of Catholic young people just figured... Why bother? or something to that effect...

I went to a Catholic high school, my parents were Catholic, we went to Mass every Sunday. No one ever asked me if I wanted to be a priest until I was already married and in law school.

That's why.

well, yeh... but.. not being an expert on the canonization process, my response is: True, humans do the process, but.. I guess it comes back to the infallibility issue and the indefectibility of the Church..

again, I am not an expert on the canonization process, so.. maybe you are 100% correct...

I went to a Catholic high school, my parents were Catholic, we went to Mass every Sunday. No one ever asked me if I wanted to be a priest until I was already married and in law school.

That's why.
yeh, and it is Vatican II's fault.. the Council was run over by Communists and other nefarious, anti-Catholic people. A lot of the true Catholic cardinals and bishops were not allowed to have input. Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre basically said To hell with this. I am keeping the Old Church, and the Mass of All Times, the Mass canonized by Pope Saint Pius V.

Forum List

Back