Can You Still Support the Death Penalty Knowing an Innocent Man Was Executed?

Knowing now through DNA testing that innocent people have been executed only goes to show that the government are every bit as criminal as the people they execute.
Exactly, but if you think that the death sentence doesn't serve any purpose, what do you think should have been done to those who have been executed when the authority people didn't screw up? What kind of sentence would you give a person who would be given the death sentence by everyone else?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Life in prison, no parole.

I am not just against the death penalty on a moral basis either. One of my big turning points was when they executed Tim McVeigh. He should have been kept alive so that in time he might have revealed more about the plot. But of course, the powers that be didn't want that, and he wanted to by a martyr.
Life in prison is too expensive.

How much good could have been done with the millions spent to keep the Manson creeps alive?

That is just one example.

It is well known that the death penalty costs more.
Only because of the stupidity of allowing the obviously guilty to drag it out.

Swift and certain capital punishment is hardly as expensive as the life sentence, and for every innocent person executed, and I admit it can happen, there are probably one hundred prison murders committed by lifers.

People that don't trust the state to do anything right are nevertheless OK with them deciding who deserves to be executed.

Very odd.
I trust the state to do many things right.

Managing my personal health care is not one of them, but, having served on juries, I trust the jury system to deliver justice.

Knowing now through DNA testing that innocent people have been executed only goes to show that the government are every bit as criminal as the people they execute.
Exactly, but if you think that the death sentence doesn't serve any purpose, what do you think should have been done to those who have been executed when the authority people didn't screw up? What kind of sentence would you give a person who would be given the death sentence by everyone else?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I am not just against the death penalty on a moral basis either. One of my big turning points was when they executed Tim McVeigh. He should have been kept alive so that in time he might have revealed more about the plot. But of course, the powers that be didn't want that, and he wanted to by a martyr.

How much good could have been done with the millions spent to keep the Manson creeps alive?

Swift and certain capital punishment is hardly as expensive as the life sentence, and for every innocent person executed, and I admit it can happen, there are probably one hundred prison murders committed by lifers.

The only thing that will make the death penalty cheaper is eliminating due process. I am not comfortable with that at all.

People that don't trust the state to do anything right are nevertheless OK with them deciding who deserves to be executed.

Very odd.

Managing my personal health care is not one of them, but, having served on juries, I trust the jury system to deliver justice.

You must not have heard about the Innocence Project.

Also, I have sat on a jury a few times. The last time I managed to sway the jury to render a not guilty verdict for a man who was clearly guilty, but I used my right to jury nullification and convinced others to do the same.

Very odd.

100% of the time?
There's never been a case of a jury trial that has resulted in an unfair conviction?
I'm afraid I don't share your faith.

Very odd.

100% of the time?
There's never been a case of a jury trial that has resulted in an unfair conviction?
I'm afraid I don't share your faith.

Not to mention non-jury trials, which are a favorite for cops accused of a crime. Leaves it all in the hands of a corrupt judge to toss the case.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

The only thing that will make the death penalty cheaper is eliminating due process. I am not comfortable with that at all.
It takes 5 to 8 years for the Federal Government to execute those so convicted, it takes most States 15 to 20 years. That is not due process.

Very odd.

Also, I have sat on a jury a few times. The last time I managed to sway the jury to render a not guilty verdict for a man who was clearly guilty, but I used my right to jury nullification and convinced others to do the same.
So you are bragging you got a guilty man off, and want to lecture us on something?

It takes 5 to 8 years for the Federal Government to execute those so convicted, it takes most States 15 to 20 years. That is not due process.

Even at the Federal level, death penalty is more expensive because of legal fees.

Very odd.

So you are bragging you got a guilty man off, and want to lecture us on something?

Just pointing out that the jury system is not all its cracked up to be. And I didn't think this guy should go to prison over a brick of weed.

Even at the Federal level, death penalty is more expensive because of legal fees.

Then the fix is to streamline the process, not to get rid of the punishment. I would suggest ONE appeal. If the SCOTUS turns it down or fails to overturn the conviction, the criminal gets offed 24 hours later. Quick, simple, less expensive, much better.

Then the fix is to streamline the process, not to get rid of the punishment. I would suggest ONE appeal. If the SCOTUS turns it down or fails to overturn the conviction, the criminal gets offed 24 hours later. Quick, simple, less expensive, much better.

What you are talking about is eliminating due process and increasing the risk of innocent people being put to death.

Very odd.

Just pointing out that the jury system is not all its cracked up to be. And I didn't think this guy should go to prison over a brick of weed.

What you are talking about is eliminating due process and increasing the risk of innocent people being put to death.

It can be swift and certain and just.
  • Jimmy L. Glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_L._Glass
    Jimmy
    L. Glass (c. 1962 – June 12, 1987) was an American convicted murderer, executed by the state of Louisiana. He is probably best known not for his crime, but as ...

Very odd.

It can be swift and certain and just.
  • Jimmy L. Glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_L._Glass
    Jimmy
    L. Glass (c. 1962 – June 12, 1987) was an American convicted murderer, executed by the state of Louisiana. He is probably best known not for his crime, but as ...

Can be, doesn't mean it will be.

Tim McVeigh was executed pretty fast too, and I am not at all convinced that he was guilty, and certainly not the shot caller in that plot.

liberalism says- millions of innocent dead babies good (for no reason other than convenience and selfishness)

liberalism says- killing (justice) a criminal after found guilty is bad. In one DAY more innocent babies are killed than ALL the death penalty criminals put together. Yet they try to compare the two like they are the same!

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Forum List

Back