Can You Still Support the Death Penalty Knowing an Innocent Man Was Executed?

PGreen

Nov 24, 2014
I think, the answer is obvious.

The death penalty is just pointless. Think of the consequences of not putting a deserving person to the death penalty as opposed to putting an undeserving person to the death penalty. Combined with the high costs and the low effectiveness, it's no surprise that 88% of criminologists disagree with such a punishment.

The death penalty is just pointless. Think of the consequences of not putting a deserving person to the death penalty as opposed to putting an undeserving person to the death penalty. Combined with the high costs and the low effectiveness, it's no surprise that 88% of criminologists disagree with such a punishment.

How much worse is it than locking up an innocent person for 30 years, and them dying in prison?

And if we get to the point of no death penalty anymore, and enough people still want it, justice will return to the hands of the victims families.

Guilt should be certain, the problem in the past is they didn't have the technology, like DNA testing to support the case against someone. Costs can be greatly reduced by simply hanging them a year after 100% guilt has been ascertained. Mankind has long ago perfected the art of hanging. It's quick, neat and cheap. Plus, the rope is reused. That should appeal to the energy saving non-wasteful bunch.

The DP is about vengence as opposed to justice. The problem with the DP is that if you discover that you put an innocent person to death there is no way to remedy that error. Jailing someone subsequently found innocent can be remedied with money.

Personally I am for the DP for extreme cases where there is no possibility of any doubt whatsoever. When you dig up a yard full of bodies or you catch the person who blew up a building then they need to be executed shortly after sentencing.

For the rest, let them sit in prison as a consequence of their crime or try to have their case reviewed and overturned based upon the evidence.

Death penalty's only pointless because it isn't a deterrent. Should make it horrible, excruciating, and terrifying. Pleanty of ideas here from old 80s gore flicks. :) But just because punishment occasionally punishes an innocent is no reason to abandon the idea completely. Pleanty of people have been wrongly incarcerated too but we still do that.

The U.S. is one of the few remaining industrialized nations that still use the death penalty
Most of the world consider us to be barbarians

How many people have been murdered in prison by lifers who should have gotten death, compared to known innocents executed in error?

How many people have been killed by people on parole for killings compared to known innocents executed?

How many scores of millions spent treating the Mansonites to three hots and a cot, and all the prison sex they wanted?

The U.S. is one of the few remaining industrialized nations that still use the death penalty
Until they need us to repel the barbarians.

I really don't give a flying fuck about what the world thinks.

Inida and China, more than half the world's population, still use the death penalty.

The DP is about vengence as opposed to justice. The problem with the DP is that if you discover that you put an innocent person to death there is no way to remedy that error. Jailing someone subsequently found innocent can be remedied with money.

Personally I am for the DP for extreme cases where there is no possibility of any doubt whatsoever. When you dig up a yard full of bodies or you catch the person who blew up a building then they need to be executed shortly after sentencing.

For the rest, let them sit in prison as a consequence of their crime or try to have their case reviewed and overturned based upon the evidence.

All justice contains vengeance. If it wasn't, it would not placate the victims or the survivors of the victims. And if those people are not placated, they will seek their own justice, and our legal system would collapse.

Generally I oppose the death penalty and abortion.

But if society choose to use the DP I think the Biblical command that there be two witnesses to the crime should be the standard. Not circumstantial evidence, not DNA, but real witnesses. The reasoning for the DP could be that there is something wrong with a person who murders. Such inferior people should be removed from society. As they removed the victim from society they do should suffer the same fate, if that fate is what society desires.

Death penalty's only pointless because it isn't a deterrent.
If that's your position then let's just do away with prison since that apparently didn't deter the inmates.

And execute them all instead? Gets my vote. Why we spend money warehousing criminals like they're gonna be not-criminals when they get out is beyond me. Kill em all.
When the REAL left gets through with the useful idiots, that will be a real possibility.

Inida and China, more than half the world's population, still use the death penalty.
Yes....India and China
That is the bar we set

Used to be Europe, Canada, Austrailia. Even Mexico and Russia no longer use it

Yes....India and China
That is the bar we set

Who gives a fuck what Europe does?

How many governmental mass murders have Europeans endured in the last 150 years?

How many student protestors have disappeared in America lately, like those who disappeared in Mexico?

There is a death penalty in Mexico you know, cops turn the ones they want dead over to the cartels.

Yes....India and China
That is the bar we set

How many governmental mass murders have Europeans endured in the last 150 years?

How many student protestors have disappeared in America lately, like those who disappeared in Mexico?

There is a death penalty in Mexico you know, cops turn the ones they want dead over to the cartels.
Europe, North America, South America, Austrailia all consider us barbarians

But at least we have China, India and the Muslim nations we can compare our morals to

Yes....India and China
That is the bar we set

Europe, North America, South America, Austrailia all consider us barbarians

But at least we have China, India and the Muslim nations we can compare our morals to
Like I said, who fuckin' cares?

Europe would be speaking German or Russian if not for us.

I can support the death penalty, even knowing 1000 innocent people were executed, so long as every guilty person gets executed as well.

Forum List

Back