Can You Still Support the Death Penalty Knowing an Innocent Man Was Executed?

I can support the death penalty, even knowing 1000 innocent people were executed, so long as every guilty person gets executed as well.
What do you think should be done when an innocent person is taken out in such a way. To me, the powers that be should be who is punished next.
How do you punish the state for executing someone convicted of a crime, upheld on appeal?
Hang the jury?

: - )

I can support the death penalty, even knowing 1000 innocent people were executed, so long as every guilty person gets executed as well.
What do you think should be done when an innocent person is taken out in such a way. To me, the powers that be should be who is punished next.
How do you punish the state for executing someone convicted of a crime, upheld on appeal?
You can't because not everyone in the state has anything to do with what does and doesn't happen. All that you can do is focus on who does have something to do with it. What I am asking is what should be done when an innocent person is put to death by accident, not when a guilty person is. A guilty person's choice to do whatever it is that they are guilty of is what gets them into that position in the first place. In my opinion, if they do not want to risk any type of punishment, they shouldn't do anything wrong to begin with.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. For the record, I don't normally support the death sentence, but if a person has no remorse for doing something that is severe enough, sometimes life without parole seems to be way too much of a slap on the wrist. If that boy who shot up the Colorado movie theater two years ago were to show no remorse for all of the lives that he took, what do you think should be done with him?

You can't because not everyone in the state has anything to do with what does and doesn't happen.
You said:
To me, the powers that be should be who is punished next.
Certainly, since you believe "they" should be punished, you must have some idea how to do so.

You can't because not everyone in the state has anything to do with what does and doesn't happen.
You said:
To me, the powers that be should be who is punished next.
Certainly, since you believe "they" should be punished, you must have some idea how to do so.
Well I would most definitely consider the fact that taking out an innocent person is never their intention, so in my opinion, a good thing to do would be giving money to the family of the deceased person and I wouldn't object if that money came from the pockets of those who are responsible for not being thorough enough in making sure that they were putting to death a guilty person.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

What do you think should be done when an innocent person is taken out in such a way. To me, the powers that be should be who is punished next. Being what they are doesn't mean that they should have a right to get away with any time that they screw up. The question is, what type of punishment should they be given? Yeah taking out an innocent person isn't ever their intention, but if its ever done anyway, what should be done next?

There are no innocent people in this world over age 4, so nothing should be done about it.

Well I would most definitely consider the fact that taking out an innocent person is never their intention, so in my opinion, a good thing to do would be giving money to the family of the deceased person and I wouldn't object if that money came from the pockets of those who are responsible for not being thorough enough in making sure that they were putting to death a guilty person.
Like who? The jury? The trial judge? The various appeals courts?
You really think you can fine these people? On what basis?

^^^ On the basis that they screwed up. Why should they get away with it when it cost an innocent person their life?
What do you think should be done when an innocent person is taken out in such a way. To me, the powers that be should be who is punished next. Being what they are doesn't mean that they should have a right to get away with any time that they screw up. The question is, what type of punishment should they be given? Yeah taking out an innocent person isn't ever their intention, but if its ever done anyway, what should be done next?
There are no innocent people in this world over age 4, so nothing should be done about it.
Why should a person pay for what they are not guilty of?

God bless you two always!!!

Holly

The death penalty serves no purpose in a civilized society. Knowing now through DNA testing that innocent people have been executed only goes to show that the government are every bit as criminal as the people they execute.

Would you OFF YOURSELF already and put us out of your misery!

Knowing now through DNA testing that innocent people have been executed only goes to show that the government are every bit as criminal as the people they execute.
Exactly, but if you think that the death sentence doesn't serve any purpose, what do you think should have been done to those who have been executed when the authority people didn't screw up? What kind of sentence would you give a person who would be given the death sentence by everyone else?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Knowing now through DNA testing that innocent people have been executed only goes to show that the government are every bit as criminal as the people they execute.
Exactly, but if you think that the death sentence doesn't serve any purpose, what do you think should have been done to those who have been executed when the authority people didn't screw up? What kind of sentence would you give a person who would be given the death sentence by everyone else?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Life in prison, no parole.

I am not just against the death penalty on a moral basis either. One of my big turning points was when they executed Tim McVeigh. He should have been kept alive so that in time he might have revealed more about the plot. But of course, the powers that be didn't want that, and he wanted to by a martyr.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I am not just against the death penalty on a moral basis either. One of my big turning points was when they executed Tim McVeigh. He should have been kept alive so that in time he might have revealed more about the plot. But of course, the powers that be didn't want that, and he wanted to by a martyr.
He is not a martyr.

He is a testament to the incompetence of the VA, and the failure of the Army and the VA to give a shit about returning vets.

At least Tim took it like a man, did not whine and complain and appeal his case for forty years.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Life in prison is too expensive.

How much good could have been done with the millions spent to keep the Manson creeps alive?

That is just one example.

Be so kind as to document that an innocent man has been put to death by the US Criminal Justice system by means of the death penalty.

DNA testing recently revealed that Texas wrongly executed Claude Jones in 2000. Mr. Jones had always maintained his innocence and requested DNA testing. Hair found at the crime scene was essentially the only link between Jones and the liquor store murder. The Innocence Project alleges a memo requesting DNA testing was never delivered to George W. Bush while he was governor (full story here). Mr. Jones’ case slipped through the cracks as a result, and he was executed as planned.

“The DNA results prove that testimony about the hair sample on which this entire case rests was just wrong,” said Barry Scheck, a co-founder of the Innocence Project. “This is yet another disturbing example of a miscarriage of justice in Texas capital murder prosecutions. Unreliable forensic science and a completely inadequate post-conviction review process cost Claude Jones his life.”

Read more: http://stationsixunderground.blogspot.com/2010/11/texas-executes-innocent-man-no-one-held.html#ixzz3KbX6adkG

If Republicans can kill unarmed kids who j-walk or eat Skittles, they can kill anyone with a completely clear conscience.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Life in prison is too expensive.

How much good could have been done with the millions spent to keep the Manson creeps alive?

That is just one example.

It is well known that the death penalty costs more.

People that don't trust the state to do anything right are nevertheless OK with them deciding who deserves to be executed.

Very odd.

Forum List

Back