calling all diabetics.....

I have a situation that the Doctors cant explain,maybe you guys have seen or heard of it.
Went to the docs for a pre-screen for a hip replacement. My blood sugar was 547.
The nurse got a shocked look on her face and asked if I felt alright.
Told her Yeah I feel OK. They immediately put me on insulin which I continued to take for about three weeks twice a day.
Here's the weird part. I started noticing that my sugar levels were getting way to low so I started to back off on the insulin.
To make a long story short,my diabetes has almost disappeared.
I now take one 1000mg Glumetza a day.
And yes it gets even weirder. I dont really watch my sugar intake anymore because the Glumetza keeps it totally under control. Well I forgot to bring my Glumetza on a camping/fishing trip so I didnt take it for two days and I didnt worry about my sugar intake.
Lo and behold my sugar level stayed around 90/100 the whole time.
Docs are totally baffled and said they have never seen this happen.
My family has no history of diabetes and I'm about 15 lbs overweight and reasonably active.
My sugar levels will still occasionally get up to around 150 but with no rhyme or reason.

Anyone else heard of this?

A lot of it can depend on what foods you were eating at the time.

I got a good low carb recipe for blueberry pancakes. It's very simple.

1:1 egg and banana mushed together. That is the batter.

Then when you are frying them add in blueberrys.

Yummy.

when you test on the side of the finger its harder for me to get the blood drop.....i just wash my hands in warm water....and use the pad...

when i am out...i just lick my finger dry it and test...no alcohol wipes..they dry out the fingers

I've been cooking so many years.....taking stuff off the grill bare-handed, etc....my fingertips are too calloused, I have to use the sides

when you test on the side of the finger its harder for me to get the blood drop.....i just wash my hands in warm water....and use the pad...

when i am out...i just lick my finger dry it and test...no alcohol wipes..they dry out the fingers

I've been cooking so many years.....taking stuff off the grill bare-handed, etc....my fingertips are too calloused, I have to use the sides

hash marks.... i always prided myself on not having hash marks... and damn if i did not get one over the weekend!!! :mad:

great cm on getting off two meds...which one are you still on if you dont mind my asking...

i am on the starter metformin....

i have been cooking with almond meal......i make these almond meal muffins but i have changed the recipe...instead of olive oil...butter...instead of fake ass sugar...i just use a tablespoons of honey....mash in a banana and all...

for some reason it spikes me....could it be that damned cookie butter from trader joe's that i frost the muffins with....lol

I have a situation that the Doctors cant explain,maybe you guys have seen or heard of it.
Went to the docs for a pre-screen for a hip replacement. My blood sugar was 547.
The nurse got a shocked look on her face and asked if I felt alright.
Told her Yeah I feel OK. They immediately put me on insulin which I continued to take for about three weeks twice a day.
Here's the weird part. I started noticing that my sugar levels were getting way to low so I started to back off on the insulin.
To make a long story short,my diabetes has almost disappeared.
I now take one 1000mg Glumetza a day.
And yes it gets even weirder. I dont really watch my sugar intake anymore because the Glumetza keeps it totally under control. Well I forgot to bring my Glumetza on a camping/fishing trip so I didnt take it for two days and I didnt worry about my sugar intake.
Lo and behold my sugar level stayed around 90/100 the whole time.
Docs are totally baffled and said they have never seen this happen.
My family has no history of diabetes and I'm about 15 lbs overweight and reasonably active.
My sugar levels will still occasionally get up to around 150 but with no rhyme or reason.

Anyone else heard of this?

A lot of it can depend on what foods you were eating at the time.

I didnt change my diet. And I didnt take my Glumetza.

plus again we are not medical people...just dealing with this in the best way we know how and sharing what we know to do and not to do..but remember we are all different...

hmmm 3 things ....diet, exercise and meds...and you didnt do two of them?

Nope. The docs cant figure it out. I went from the upper 500's and injecting insulin twice a day to taking one 1000mg Glumetza daily in about three months time.
And at times I dont have to take anything. Which of course makes it tough to find a flow on my meds.
While my diet does have an effect most of the tiime. There are times I can have sugar in my coffee and drink a regular coke and my sugar will stay under 100 with no meds at all.
As far as exercise goes,I can finally get a little more active now that my hip replacement is just about healed up,so that will help.

I got a good low carb recipe for blueberry pancakes. It's very simple.

1:1 egg and banana mushed together. That is the batter.

Then when you are frying them add in blueberrys.

Yummy.

There are 27 carb grams in a banana. :eek:

damn it sarah i was gonna try that....lol...but she is right...1/2 small nana is all you should be having...carbs...they are everywhere...

here is what i hate....i had a major stress day yesterday...but bedtime i was pulling a 76..bg
so i ate a pear....my fbg is 111 today...high for me..the liver is everyone's friend ....i am not sure if eating the pear was wrong perhaps protein was needed....or if i just got up too late....1/2 hour...really? is gonna make that much difference?

o and sarah ...i bet cmike is hating on you right now....

i found this great dessert....1 stick of cream cheese, 1 cup of whipped cream...sf pudding and 1 cup of water....it was great....no real spike....then i got my cholesterol test back ...higher than last time....

i looked ..the damn whipped cream...was killing me...

now its cookie butter from trader joe's....

OK... let's talk about your foot care.

It is CRITICAL that you take good care of your feet while you are getting your diet and blood sugar levels under control.

Here is a tip I developed that you might find useful.

Keep your feet free from injury which includes proper removal and control of dried skin. I found that a proper stool or "chair" in the bathtub when I take a shower is very helpfull combined with a seperate little tub for my feet to soak in.

I use an old Coleman ice chest to sit on because it is very sturdy and there are several sizes so it is easy to find one the right height. I put the ice chest on it's end. They are sort of non-slip because of the texture of the surface. The little tub for my feet I picked up at the Dollar store. This way I can take my shower and add a little dish detergent and anti bacterial hand soap to the "foot water" and get a good soak which removes the dry skin and thoroughly cleans my feet. Since I have been using this shower/feet soaking method my feet are much happier and the places that dry skin was acumulating have gone away completely.

I have considered removing the handles off the ends of the Coleman ice chest that sits on the bathtub floor but the thing folds up flat enough to not be too much of an angle to sit on. If there is a stability issue for you it wouldn't be that hard to knock off the end handles with a screw driver and a hammer. REMOVE any sharp edges before ya sit on it ya goof! Or your feet won't be your only problem! :lol:

lets not post pics of our feet....oday? i have been using a different lotion...st ives....syrenn convinced me that perhaps the cheap stuff from walmart was not the best stuff....so i dug around in the bathroom and found the st ives stuff...from what i can find on the net.....the truth is out there lol....curel is the best lotion for under 10 bucks ...i will try that next...

i just wash my feet...no major ritual...and i would love to see the imprint on your ass...after you showing..does it say 'coleman'

but i read that 80% of foot ulcers treated in the hospital are diabetics i check my feet for any thing foreign....esp kitten litter...i wear shoes...sometimes i will wear just the wool socks but normally i have shoes on...my nails suck...and i keep dry socks with me all the time...i have a pair in the car and normally have a pair in the grab and go bag....

now we are not suppose to put lotion between our toes...but does that mean we can put lotion under and over the toes...my toes are dry cause i am not putting lotion on them...

lets not post pics of our feet....oday? i have been using a different lotion...st ives....syrenn convinced me that perhaps the cheap stuff from walmart was not the best stuff....so i dug around in the bathroom and found the st ives stuff...from what i can find on the net.....the truth is out there lol....curel is the best lotion for under 10 bucks ...i will try that next...

i just wash my feet...no major ritual...and i would love to see the imprint on your ass...after you showing..does it say 'coleman'

but i read that 80% of foot ulcers treated in the hospital are diabetics i check my feet for any thing foreign....esp kitten litter...i wear shoes...sometimes i will wear just the wool socks but normally i have shoes on...my nails suck...and i keep dry socks with me all the time...i have a pair in the car and normally have a pair in the grab and go bag....

now we are not suppose to put lotion between our toes...but does that mean we can put lotion under and over the toes...my toes are dry cause i am not putting lotion on them...

aquaphor or eucrine bones.... really. Dont keep trying stuff and moving up. Just start at at the top.

and if you dont get the skin sander thing i showed you.... really do try the sugar scrub. Plain white sugar and some oil.. and just rub rub rub. Just remember your feet will be slippery in the shower.

o and sarah ...i bet cmike is hating on you right now....

i found this great dessert....1 stick of cream cheese, 1 cup of whipped cream...sf pudding and 1 cup of water....it was great....no real spike....then i got my cholesterol test back ...higher than last time....

i looked ..the damn whipped cream...was killing me...

now its cookie butter from trader joe's....

I know, I've learned that fruit can really raise your blood sugar tho. Plus, the more carbs you eat, the more you want. Sorry Mike, there's a lot of good low carb recipies at that site I posted upthread a ways.

after you showing..does it say 'coleman'
:eek:

No... :lol:

The REASON to shower sitting down is to take pressure off the feet while they are soaking in the cleansing fluid. Then I bounce my feet up and down rapidly to get some water and suds action on my soles. I have no problem standing in the shower.

I put no lotion on my feet. I was having the dried skin show up in my arches for a couple of months last Spring and the doctor was stressed out about it so I tried this new regime and have been dry skin free on my feet for 6 months.

I was diagnosed with the type 2 ...two years ago with a blood sugar between 500-600. Nowadays between 100-150 depending upon what time of day and the proximity to a meal and what I had to eat or drink.

I take metformin ... I should take more of it but only take it during the evening meal. I take 7 meds...four are pain related. The metformin has a nasty taste so I skip the mid day dose.

Oh... I am working on a toe nail clipper for peeps that don't bend over as well as they used to and have vision issues within 2-3 feet from thier eyes.

Essentially it is a light 18 inch long tube with a rod going through it with a big sqeeze handle on one end and a normal toenail clipper attached to the other end and a big lens attached to the tube near the clippers and an L E D light that illuminates the toenail being clipped.

When I get it perfected I'll patent it and put it on the market.

i would buy that bitch....lol i would...you need to take the met as told....i just wolf down the hand full of pills....met is the only medical one..i take vitamins and the alpha lip acid for feet and the low dose aspirin...

my major foot problem right now...thor my dobie seems to go out of his way to step on my toes, then i racked my left knee today..that is gonna color up nicely...

Forum List

Back