calling all diabetics.....

let's discuss the spouses:

i have one..and this has been hard for him...he is a total control freak...the type that walks into a room and has to change something...the light has to be turned off if on...etc...it has scared him to death...for months all he would let me eat was kale and sf jello...i still had high numbers at the start...at first i wasnt allowed to eat anything that had sugar or taste...he even started cooking so he could control that too....

10 months in....he has adjusted...he reminds me to test...eat, test, etc..the thing i do that annoys the hell out of him..i will use the same lancet for weeks....lol...

he went out of town last night...just for the night...o gosh...he called ever 2 hours...i just realized this am....it is the first night i was alone...since we found out i was diabetic....i truly believe his concern is more the passing out...at this point..he is afraid i will pass out ...be hurt and be alone...when we are outside...he makes sure i am safely away from the edges...he wants to hold my hand all the time...i am like....look if i pass out and you have my arm like this you are gonna break my damned arm or yours...he thinks since i lost weight it wont be a problem...hello its all dead weight....

i agree about the lancets!!! one shot deals. :mad:

let me say this. As annoying as it is having him hover over you... its much better to have someone looking out for you then someone who does not give a shit about you.

i have one..and this has been hard for him...he is a total control freak...the type that walks into a room and has to change something...the light has to be turned off if on...etc...it has scared him to death...for months all he would let me eat was kale and sf jello...i still had high numbers at the start...at first i wasnt allowed to eat anything that had sugar or taste...he even started cooking so he could control that too....

10 months in....he has adjusted...he reminds me to test...eat, test, etc..the thing i do that annoys the hell out of him..i will use the same lancet for weeks....lol...

he went out of town last night...just for the night...o gosh...he called ever 2 hours...i just realized this am....it is the first night i was alone...since we found out i was diabetic....i truly believe his concern is more the passing out...at this point..he is afraid i will pass out ...be hurt and be alone...when we are outside...he makes sure i am safely away from the edges...he wants to hold my hand all the time...i am like....look if i pass out and you have my arm like this you are gonna break my damned arm or yours...he thinks since i lost weight it wont be a problem...hello its all dead weight....

let me say this. As annoying as it is having him hover over you... its much better to have someone looking out for you then someone who does not give a shit about you.

o i know he loves me ...to death...and i know i am lucky....at support groups i hear women just cry cause the man doesnt care..

o i know he loves me ...to death...and i know i am lucky....at support groups i hear women just cry cause the man doesnt care..

yes, you are very lucky. He wants to keep you around for a very long time.

and so do i!!!

but when he ask....how low can an a1c go? 5.1 % is not low enough for him....he wanted to go on a picnic today...he is great about things like that....but i was just too exhausted...that i think is a problem for spouses...we have to be selfish at times with our health...like today....i just told him...i ws not up to going out...i would try to rally....i fell asleep in the recliner for a couple of hours..he knows dealing with mom takes a lot out of me..

i rarely change lancets....if i say ouch he will gripe at me...how long have you been using that one...

but when he ask....how low can an a1c go? 5.1 % is not low enough for him....he wanted to go on a picnic today...he is great about things like that....but i was just too exhausted...that i think is a problem for spouses...we have to be selfish at times with our health...like today....i just told him...i ws not up to going out...i would try to rally....i fell asleep in the recliner for a couple of hours..he knows dealing with mom takes a lot out of me..

i rarely change lancets....if i say ouch he will gripe at me...how long have you been using that one...

yes, you do need to know your limits... always. (bwhaha) When you are not up to something you need to say that......

I like to push myself as far as i can go too. Is that always good, no... but it is who i am. Mine knows that and watches me like a hawk like yours. When i say im done, im really done. He is the same, and i watch him like a hawk. When he is low, i dont care how cranky he is...i hold out that juice and say .... drink it!

im siding up with him bones.... change that lancet every damn time!!!!

You can use your lancets until the needle starts hurting your fingers a little. A couple of weeks is fine.

Use all fingers, both sides plus your thumbs too.

When you have diabetes, you sure have a lot of things to think about, don't you?

why is it we focus on a trivial issue like lancets? i mean they are the cheapest thing we have to use...lol....so we skimp there? i am the worst....i am cheap...i am a cheap hoarder....i have a draw of extras....strips, meter, pills, etc and so forth...and two boxes of lancet...they will last forever....i tellz ya...forever...

i refuse to use the little finger or the thumb and hate the side shot....i am a pad girl to the very end....my fingers have black heads

Change lancets? Hell, I can't remember if I ever have.

You can use your lancets until the needle starts hurting your fingers a little. A couple of weeks is fine.

When you have diabetes, you sure have a lot of things to think about, don't you?

I'm glad you mentioned the sides of your fingers. For those who don't realize, you have more nerves on the tips of your fingers than on the sides. Testing from the side is less painful.

I'm glad you mentioned the sides of your fingers. For those who don't realize, you have more nerves on the tips of your fingers than on the sides. Testing from the side is less painful.

Neither me or the wife have tried it but supposedly the newer meters allow you to test anywhere on your arm

:eusa_eh:

Neither me or the wife have tried it but supposedly the newer meters allow you to test anywhere on your arm

:eusa_eh:

Or on the fleshy part of your palms. If you test a lot, you've got to find a way that's least painful for you.

Change lancets? Hell, I can't remember if I ever have.

I know, there's a real good site out there called Active Low-Carber Forums - Atkins Diet & Low Carb Support Message Boards. I learned that many who test hardly ever change their lancets. If you leave them in too long, they get dull and start tearing a little and that's what makes them hurt. You really should change it every week or two.

when you test on the side of the finger its harder for me to get the blood drop.....i just wash my hands in warm water....and use the pad...

when i am out...i just lick my finger dry it and test...no alcohol wipes..they dry out the fingers

hey .....i am new to this and all.....there seems to be a lot of info...some good some bad....i go to a message board for diabetics but they seem to lack any sense of humor about things...so i was hoping if there are a few of us here we could discuss this damned disease....

genetics loads the gun....lifestyle pulls the trigger......someone smarter than me said

im listening.....type 2 here.....runs in the family.....

same here, diagnosed Type 2 when I was 21 years old. I'm not such a good patient till now. :(

i have heard it referred to as the club no one wants to belong to....but here we are....

so how is everyone doing?

two months...happy dance...no passing out.....whew

With diet and exercise I got off taking two of the three pills that I was taking.

Forum List

Back