California School District Asking Students' Families To House Teachers

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Link

As rent prices climb and home prices remain sky high in California, many educators are finding it difficult to live in Milpitas, California, a city directly at the southern tip of San Francisco Bay.

Cheryl Jordan, the Milpitas Unified School Superintendent, expressed to NBC that the cost of living in the city is not feasible.

"We've lost out on some employees that we tried to recruit because once they see how much it costs to live here, they determine that it's just not possible," Jordan said.

The school district took a different approach with an excessive turnover rate and complications attracting educators. It proposed an unconventional idea to resolve this dilemma: calling for local families to consider taking in teachers struggling to stay in the neighborhood. Remaining hopeful, It looks like the plan is working.

"So far, we've had 34 respondents who are interested in providing a room or small space on their property for our educators if needed," Jordan announced

Well now! I could see some dads and single moms going for that with equal enthusiasm. ;)

OIP.6BzuH2G9CRXwPM2vCk6hUwHaKQ

Jokes aside it's nothing new.....That’s how it worked back in the day of the rural one-room schoolhouse. Each kid’s family would host the teacher for a time.

I could see it working out as long as the teachers were properly vetted and passed a background check. Rent could be withheld from their paycheck by the county to be paid to the parents.

Heck, maybe if they did some light housekeeping and tutoring you could let them stay free of charge.

Knowing how CA operates they would fuck all of that up too.

Time for teachers to walk.....The Right doesn't want public schools anyways. They prefer the next generation be ignorant.

Stupid statement.

I'm on "the right" and I strongly favor public schools. We just need to invest in them. If teachers can afford to live in a school district, the very obvious solution is to pay the teachers more. We're not talking about some po-dunk hick redneck town in Mississippi. We're talking about a very affluent area of the country...

Stupid statement.

I'm on "the right" and I strongly favor public schools. We just need to invest in them. If teachers can afford to live in a school district, the very obvious solution is to pay the teachers more. We're not talking about some po-dunk hick redneck town in Mississippi. We're talking about a very affluent area of the country...
Most other professions in the bay area are experiencing the same problem. Many of them are commuting 50 to 100 miles one way to bedroom communities in the central valley. It has been this way for at least forty years--not a new problem. CA teachers are far from being underpaid.

Most other professions in the bay area are experiencing the same problem. Many of them are commuting 50 to 100 miles one way to bedroom communities in the central valley. It has been this way for at least forty years--not a new problem. CA teachers are far from being underpaid.
Perhaps not compared to other areas of the country where the cost of living is lower, but it's pretty clear that they're not paid enough to live where they need to...

I could see it working out as long as the teachers were properly vetted and passed a background check. Rent could be withheld from their paycheck by the county to be paid to the parents.

Heck, maybe if they did some light housekeeping and tutoring you could let them stay free of charge.

Knowing how CA operates they would fuck all of that up too.

I can foresee huge problems.

All it'll take is for someone's kid to get a failing grade, while the kid of the family a teacher is living with gets A's across the board and accusations will start flying, not to mention the accusations of the teacher having an affair with little Sally's Dad for school supply money.

And you know both of those would happen...

Perhaps not compared to other areas of the country where the cost of living is lower, but it's pretty clear that they're not paid enough to live where they need to...
Nope, I disagree.
The average Public School Teacher salary in Milpitas, CA is $69,394 as of August 29, 2022, but the range typically falls between $57,959 and $84,608. Public School Teacher Salary in Milpitas, CA | Salary.com
If a person--even in the SF bay area, cannot support themselves on those wages, I wonder if I want them teaching my kids. I have seen people commute on the ACE train from Stockton to Livermore and change to BART to get to the bay area both north and south, on far less and live reasonably. Every working person wants more money, but there is reality.

Time for teachers to walk.....The Right doesn't want public schools anyways. They prefer the next generation be ignorant.

Many places in this nation are about to find out what happens when you devalue a profession for a long time. The saddest thing is that this is not going to change anytime soon. Young people are not going into education, and no one can blame them.

I just read a post from a teacher in a middle school. Big problems with 6th graders smearing their um "leavings" on the bathroom walls.

Now everyone sign up for about 50K a year. Go for it.

People who want to quit should just STFU and quit already. There ARE young people going into teaching. Intelligent, caring, motivated young people.

Many places in this nation are about to find out what happens when you devalue a profession for a long time. The saddest thing is that this is not going to change anytime soon. Young people are not going into education, and no one can blame them.

I just read a post from a teacher in a middle school. Big problems with 6th graders smearing their um "leavings" on the bathroom walls.

Now everyone sign up for about 50K a year. Go for it.
My daughter just started her first year of teaching, following in the footsteps of her mother.

Why only teachers?

Teachers to "educate" the young masses with a love for the state are a much higher priority to the glorious California Revolution than mere builders and mechanics.

85_280_1_bbe98a7a-047f-486c-ad26-f608c0c22828_2070x.jpg

Great idea!!

That way, they can start working on the kids to question their gender at an even earlier age.

Forum List

Back