California Schools Prepare for Thousands of Afghan Refugee Students

Talk about false equivalencies.

As far as I know there is no biblical or religious injunction regarding transgender individuals, so using it as a “religious rights” issue is thin imo. In fact, the Christian School did not say it forfeit the game on religious grounds at all but because they felt it was unfair:

Mid Vermont Christian’s head of school, Vicky Fogg, said in a statement last month that the school believed “playing against an opponent with a biological male jeopardizes the fairness of the game and the safety of our players.”

This also runs into Vermont anti-discrimination laws, so you have two sets of competing rights.

Got any more false equivalencies?

The left HATES women.

How stupid can ya get, how valuable is an education where you don't need to know how to read, write or do math.
How valuable is an education when you are fleeing a country where you are denied an education or killed for trying to get an education?

The left has a double standard when it comes to religion. Christianity, bad. Islam, votes.

The Muslim religion requires prayer a certain number of times a day, in a certain manner.

The school is providing a space for this so the student can do this without disrupting the class.

That is it. This is not a student “group” activity.
Groups have noting to do with it. You do not get to change the standard because 2 people want to do it. Further, we are talking about accommodations being made in this example because they are Muslim and others being denied when accommodations are not even required.

That you would defend that outright based on them being a 'group' just massively reinforces my point.
The Christian religion is not so strict on the issue of when and how to pray. As far as I know, students are not banned from individual prayer as long as it does not disrupt class. That is kind of a key component of religious accommodation, right? That it not substantially disrupt a class or workplace?
We are not talking about praying, we are talking about religious accommodations.

Trying to narrow it down to prayer is, once again, reinforcing my point.

Ignore the accommodations to try and pick a singular activity out in order to justify the action here and deny the action elsewhere. Interestingly, the Islamic requirements do, without question, cause problems because the hard prayer times. Most Christians are just trying to use facilities that are open and available for group gatherings and cost the district exactly nothing whatsoever and cause exactly zero disruptions.
If I understand it correctly, California school policies must adhere to Department of Education rules to get federal funding, right?

U.S. Department of Education:

In order to receive federal funds, a local education agency (LEA) must annually certify in writing to its state education agency (SEA) that the LEA has no policy that prevents or denies student and staff participation in constitutionally protected prayer in its elementary and secondary schools. LEAs are required to submit the certification to SEAs by October 1. By November 1, SEAs must notify the Department of Education of any LEAs that have not filed certification.

No specific certification form for LEAs to use has been designated; states should establish systems for processing certifications.

Some student activities that fall under constitutionally protected prayer include

• praying during non-instructional time, such as during recess or lunch;
  • reading religious texts during non-instructional time;
  • praying before meals; and
  • forming prayer groups or religious clubs that meet before or after school.
Staff members also are permitted to meet with colleagues before school or during lunch for prayer or religious study groups. Teachers are not permitted to engage in those activities with students.

Students also may express their religious beliefs in homework, artwork, and other written and oral assignments.

What California school policies violate this?
You mean like this one where the students had to sue to get equal access?

And the court seems to agree that they violated religious freedom.

Or here:

They were allowed to be Christian and meet together if they shut up and never told anyone about it. I wonder if it would be okay to demand the Islamic prayer times were snuck out the back door and only allowed if you did not tell anyone that it was available for them? Nope, that would be asinine.

Or a thousand other examples. Schools in very liberal states have been barring Christians from holding religious activities for a very long time for a huge variety of reasons. From being barred from talking about the 'club' as above (something no other group is barred from doing) to anti discrimination laws being used to discriminate.

Are they going to apply those discrimination standards to Islamic prayer which should be segregated? I almost guarantee they will not. It will be okay in that case.

Find me a good reason why CA can and DOES bar Christian groups performing religious rights but suddenly want to make accommodations for others.

What is really pathetic is that the phrase 'if you want bible study in school you are going to have to allow Satanists and Islamists that right too' has been the go to line for secularists against Cristian encroachment on schools for decades. I completely agree with that sentiment but here we are showing the lie that stance seems to have been.

It is okay for those groups, just not the one in majority. Brings me right back to what the modern left cares about - power, victimization and minority status. The specifics are immaterial.

Muslim students who must leave class to go to prayers have a built in complaint. The class goes on while they are gone. After missing class time the Muslim students will demand fairness. Classes must observe prayer times.

Mexifornia is in desperate need of white people…please send us all 170,000 Ukraine refugees to help offset the dark degeneracy.
Thanks in advance

In California, the government owned and run public schools have created special prayer rooms just for Muslims. This totally blows away the claim that liberals believe in separation of church and state.

California Schools Prepare for Thousands of Afghan Refugee Students | KQED

California Schools Prepare for Thousands of Afghan Refugee Students

By Diana Lambert

September 21, 2021

In California, home to the largest number of Afghan refugees in the country, school officials are preparing for an influx of students who fled Afghanistan with their families after the Taliban seized power in the country last month.

Schools are especially busy in Sacramento and Fremont, which have two of the largest Afghan communities in the state. Over 40% of the nation’s Afghan refugees have resettled in the Sacramento region in recent years, according to Jessie Tientcheu, chief executive officer of Opening Doors, a resettlement agency based in Sacramento.

Elk Grove Unified School District began offering culturally appropriate meals and setting aside rooms in many of its middle and high schools for prayer during Muslim holidays in preparation for the additional Afghan students it expects in the next month. San Juan Unified is offering Saturday school for English learners, and Fremont Unified is planning to hire more translators.
And they will pass a law requiring teachers to teach in the Afghan language.

Forum List

Back