Buying my first Rifle

oldsoul

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2015
Standing with Covington Kids
I am looking to purchase my first long gun/rifle. The main reason is for large game hunting(ie deer), with a secondary reason of "home defense". I know, a long gun is not the most practical for home defense, therefore it is the secondary reason. What I am looking for is some advice as to what to buy. Here are some points to consider:

• Likely will be hunting in fairly heavily wooded areas, from an elevated stand.
  • Area has been hunted for man years.
  • Not an experienced shooter.
  • Price is a factor, would have a buget of say $300.
  • New or used are options.
  • Not sure if it matters, but I am under 6' and about 200 pounds, with an average build.
  • Will be installing a scope, if not included in purchase.
Any opinions will be appreciated and taken into consideration.
Thanks in advance.

If you are going to hunting in the woods, I wouldn't get something to big..
243 maybe?
The best way to hunt in the woods, IMO, is by walking around. Trees/limbs get in your way.

Very hard to find a decent rifle for $300.

Save your money.
What would you say is a better budget then? $400, $500. I really don't know. I have seen used for around $250-$300. Are you saying these should be avoided?

Unless I know the person, at least well enough that I don't think they'd sell me something that sucked, I wouldn't buy something that cheap.

You can find a great hunting/home defense carbine in .357 or .44Mag brand new for around $500. These guns are utterly reliable, accurate to 100 yards or more and can take a variety of game animal and most that I know of can take a scope.

That's where your big expense will be. Decent glass usually costs upwards of $400.

Rossi 92 Carbine Lever Rifle 44 Mag 16" 8rd Blue : Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Rossi model 92 Carbine 38-357 New : Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

I have bought guns that cheap in the past, and have been disappointed every time. Now that I know a lot more about guns than I did years ago, I will buy something used if I can do a good inspection on it and the price is reasonable.

Usually when someone sells something for less than it's worth blue-book there's something wrong with it.

What is the range you'll be shooting at?
A lot of people use shotguns in dense woods,and it would make a little better home defense weapon.
Not real sure. Maybe as much as a hundred yards, if the shot is clear. If I go shotgun, would a 20 gauge be enough? Or should I just go all out with 12? I am a little conserned with recoil. I've only shot .22, and I'm not sure how well I would handle something that "kicks like a mule", as I have heard 12's described.

A lot of people use shotguns in dense woods,and it would make a little better home defense weapon.

Agree wholeheartedly. Either a shotgun, a slug gun or a shotgun with interchangeable slug barrels. You'll get a lot of versatility hunting or home defense with the huge assortment of ammunition available. If you go the multi barrel route, you can space out your purchases over time to avoid a single high dollar purchase.

I highly recommend saving up your money and buying new. A lot of people reload irresponsibly. You don't want to run the risk of buying an overstressed firearm. There's only one way to be sure--buy new. Your safety is worth the extra bucks.

Not real sure. Maybe as much as a hundred yards, if the shot is clear. If I go shotgun, would a 20 gauge be enough? Or should I just go all out with 12? I am a little conserned with recoil. I've only shot .22, and I'm not sure how well I would handle something that "kicks like a mule", as I have heard 12's described.

You'd have to do with a 12 gauge.
And trust me...you wont even feel the recoil when shooting a deer.
The practice can leave you a little sore at first though,you get use to it.
As far as the range goes you're pushing it at 50 yards so a shotgun probably isnt going to work for you.
You can stretch that out to 150 yards with a rifled barrel and slugs but than you lose the home protection aspect of a standard shotgun.

12 Gage pump shoot gun,good slugs and some reasonable skills,your good out to 100 yards,most deer are killed at much less range,when at home,00 buck shot or # 4s for home protection.

Agree wholeheartedly. Either a shotgun, a slug gun or a shotgun with interchangeable slug barrels. You'll get a lot of versatility hunting or home defense with the huge assortment of ammunition available. If you go the multi barrel route, you can space out your purchases over time to avoid a single high dollar purchase.

I highly recommend saving up your money and buying new. A lot of people reload irresponsibly. You don't want to run the risk of buying an overstressed firearm. There's only one way to be sure--buy new. Your safety is worth the extra bucks.

Thats what I'd do in his situation but I figured the whole multiple barrel thing would put it well out of his price range.
And of course I'd go with an eotech or trijicon RMR.

243 maybe?
The best way to hunt in the woods, IMO, is by walking around. Trees/limbs get in your way.

He said he'd be shooting from an elevated stand.

12 Gage pump shoot gun,good slugs and some reasonable skills,your good out to 100 yards,most deer are killed at much less range,when at home,00 buck shot or # 4s for home protection.

I'd never consider a shotgun for deer.

243 maybe?

He said he'd be shooting from an elevated stand.
I know. That's why I said I would rather walk in the woods. I only like deer stands when I am overlooking an empty field.
Besides, walking is more fun :)

Forum List

Back