BIRDS

Larsky

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Specifically, Cardinals.
We have a pair that pays us a daily visit. They love whole Peanuts and Sunflower seeds. Problem is, so do the Squirrels. Damn tree rats hoover them up as soon as we put them out.
Solution: White Safflower seed.
Cardinals love them, vermin does not.

petro

Diamond Member
Reaction score
They hang out here throughout the worst of winter.
One time in a pine tree out back there were about ten of them. Looked like Christmas ornaments.

I quit putting out feed when the damn Downy Woodpeckers started on our buildings. Still get plenty of birds out back.

The real loud birds are the damn Ravens.

harmonica

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Turu was loud--a dinosaur ''bird''
1613928239098.png

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Specifically, Cardinals.
We have a pair that pays us a daily visit. They love whole Peanuts and Sunflower seeds. Problem is, so do the Squirrels. Damn tree rats hoover them up as soon as we put them out.
I have so many birds they keep the squirrels away.

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid growing up on Long Island, in winter we knew when we'd get snow by the appearance of cardinals. If they showed up, we'd get snow the next day.

Without exception.

It was weird...

Last edited:

surada

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Specifically, Cardinals.
Try Suet Cages.. I make my own bird cakes twice a week. The rascally squirrels can't get to them. I have six Cardinals and 4 American Robins, Gold finches, Towees.. and others I can't identify.. The cages will cost under $2.00 each.

OP
Larsky

Larsky

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Specifically, Cardinals.
Try Suet Cages.. I make my own bird cakes twice a week. The rascally squirrels can't get to them. I have six Cardinals and 4 American Robins, Gold finches, Towees.. and others I can't identify.. The cages will cost under $2.00 each.
Lol we bought a suet ball with a feeder that was a spike to impale it onto.
Damn squirrel got under it like a weightlifter, pushed it off the spike, and rolled it away.

I'm not making this up.

surada

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Specifically, Cardinals.
Damn squirrel got under it like a weightlifter, pushed it off the spike, and rolled it away.

I'm not making this up.
LOLOLOL.. I believe you.. Tricky devils. Try the cage from Walmart.. $1.74.

Jimmy_Chitwood

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Specifically, Cardinals.
I have good luck using flamfluga

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I wish I could have blue jays and cardinals visit but all I have pigeons and sparrows.

OldLady

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Specifically, Cardinals.

I'm not making this up.
Did that to corn cobs I put out on a squirrel feeder, in hopes of keeping them out of the bird feeder. Within 48 hours, there goes the squirrel dragging the whole corncob in his mouth across the street, spike included, so I couldn't just replace it..

OldLady

Diamond Member
Reaction score
We got really excited when we saw a cardinal in our crabapple tree. I raced to put out a suet cage, even an orange. He was gone in two days. Too many woods around here; they prefer deep cover.

OP
Larsky

Larsky

Platinum Member
Reaction score
We got really excited when we saw a cardinal in our crabapple tree. I raced to put out a suet cage, even an orange. He was gone in two days. Too many woods around here; they prefer deep cover.
There is nothing like a crabapple in blossom!

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List