Bands that went to hell....

OMG KISS... My oldest brother worshipped them. It's all he listened to... over and over.

BUUUT... to this day I still remember the exact moment in 1977 he brought their new Album LOVE GUN and there was a group of us there. He brings it in - grinning from ear to ear and then opens the album... and an ACTUAL pop gun with the word LOVE on it was in the Album.
We were rolling on the floor in laughter. He walked out of the room and stopped listening to KISS that day.
Swear to God

kiss-love-gun-toy-open.jpg

Grateful Dead had some good songs, but the "Legendary Status" they have - yeah... no.

As a confirmed Dead Head ... I'd like to qualify some things ... Lots and lots of people don't like Grateful Dead music ... that's understandable ... their stuff is "out there" and unless you really really like it, you'll most likely hate it ... acid helps ...

Yes, even Dead Heads get frustrated watching The Boys spend 20 minutes tuning their guitars just to play a 5 minute song ... less frustrating to the dedicated Dead Head is when The Boys forget which song they're playing in the middle and wind up playing another song instead ...

One-hit wonder band ... took them 22 years to chart a single ... only one ...

They weren't the best at what they did ... they were the ONLY ones who did what they did ...

OMG KISS... My oldest brother worshipped them. It's all he listened to... over and over.

BUUUT... to this day I still remember the exact moment in 1977 he brought their new Album LOVE GUN and there was a group of us there. He brings it in - grinning from ear to ear and then opens the album... and an ACTUAL pop gun with the word LOVE on it was in the Album.
We were rolling on the floor in laughter. He walked out of the room and stopped listening to KISS that day.
Swear to God

View attachment 670657
Gawd.
Don't forget the Kiss merchandise, action figures, comic books and cheesy movie.
They sold out bigger than anyone.

I hated that song Radio Gaga...

Then came Live AID. Twenty minutes that changed music... and they didn't originally want to do the show... then they stole it.

Me too... I was not a fan of that song either. But that Live AID performance was, arguably, the best musical pergformance in the history of rock n roll.
I still occasionally watch it on YouTube.

Gawd.
Don't forget the Kiss merchandise, action figures, comic books and cheesy movie.
They sold out bigger than anyone.
It was all Gene Simmons.
He has talked about it in interviews several times. He fully admits they were not "especially talented" and he wanted to make as much money as possible as long as they could.
The worst of it all came in the 4 "Solo Albums" they produced.
s-l500.jpg

Gene Simmons literally singing a Disney song, and they put it on the album. Holy Cow.
These albums have got to be among the worst cash cow moves in music history

It was all Gene Simmons.
He has talked about it in interviews several times. He fully admits they were not "especially talented" and he wanted to make as much money as possible as long as they could.
The worst of it all came in the 4 "Solo Albums" they produced.
View attachment 670663

Gene Simmons literally singing a Disney song, and they put it on the album. Holy Cow.
These albums have got to be among the worst cash cow moves in music history
I never forget my parents reaction when I brought home Kiss Destroyer as one of my first albums as a teenager.
The looks on their faces when they saw the makeup and leather was priceless.

As a confirmed Dead Head ... I'd like to qualify some things ... Lots and lots of people don't like Grateful Dead music ... that's understandable ... their stuff is "out there" and unless you really really like it, you'll most likely hate it ... acid helps ...

Yes, even Dead Heads get frustrated watching The Boys spend 20 minutes tuning their guitars just to play a 5 minute song ... less frustrating to the dedicated Dead Head is when The Boys forget which song they're playing in the middle and wind up playing another song instead ...

One-hit wonder band ... took them 22 years to chart a single ... only one ...

They weren't the best at what they did ... they were the ONLY ones who did what they did ...

Never was a Dead fan, but Widespread Panic, now that is a band that must be seen live.

I never forget my parents reaction when I brought home Kiss Destroyer as one of my first albums as a teenager.
The looks on their faces when they saw the makeup and leather was priceless.
You either liked the schtick or you didn't. Most of us in the neighborhood didn't, and most kids I knew in school didn't either. Not saying they were bad, just okay. But without the makeup and costumes... they would have never made it out of Detroit. Just like Twisted Sister who were less than average, but got national play on MTV because they looked so outrages.
Some people think Dee Snider is all that, but I didn't get it

This pains me... because this man is a real-honest to goodness rock legend - Bob Seger.
His concerts are still good.
This man has written so many hits, and propelled many other artist there isn't enough space here to list it all.

But his album "Face the Promise", his first album released in 11 years in 2006.
It went Platinum because so many fans bought it because it was Bob Seger (including me)
It was just not good. And it was sad. I don't even know where the CD that I bought is.
I may have threw it away.
And his last two albums since have went nowhere.

Bands that you know, that were awesome... then not so awesome.

Number one for me is beyond a doubt Aerosmith.
It is hard to imagine a band that was capable of the outrageous complexity and tempo shifts in their best album
"Rocks" in 1976.
View attachment 670631

To absolute garbage like Done with Mirrors - 1985

View attachment 670632

True I am comparing their best to worst album, but they never recreated Toys in the Attic and Rocks.
The difficulty in instrumentation and quality of songs are unmatched from those to albums:

Going from this... (this BEGS to be listened loud with either good stereo speakers or decent headphones)

To painfully cheap dime store quality like this... that must have talking all but 5 minutes to write.

Lol, the 80s where music went to die. Good romcoms though.

Sawyer Brown is still around with no change in their musical delivery, but sadly only three original members are still in the act: the lead singer, the piano player, and the drummer.

God bless you and each past and present member always!!!

Holly (one of their many fans)

Forum List

Back