Bands that went to hell....

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Bands that you know, that were awesome... then not so awesome.

Number one for me is beyond a doubt Aerosmith.
It is hard to imagine a band that was capable of the outrageous complexity and tempo shifts in their best album
"Rocks" in 1976.
rocks.jpg

To absolute garbage like Done with Mirrors - 1985

Aerosmith_Done_With_Mirrors.jpg

True I am comparing their best to worst album, but they never recreated Toys in the Attic and Rocks.
The difficulty in instrumentation and quality of songs are unmatched from those to albums:

Going from this... (this BEGS to be listened loud with either good stereo speakers or decent headphones)

To painfully cheap dime store quality like this... that must have talking all but 5 minutes to write.

It is hard to imagine a band that was capable of the outrageous complexity and tempo shifts in their best album
"Rocks" in 1976.
View attachment 670631

View attachment 670632

True I am comparing their best to worst album, but they never recreated Toys in the Attic and Rocks.
The difficulty in instrumentation and quality of songs are unmatched from those to albums:

Going from this... (this BEGS to be listened loud with either good stereo speakers or decent headphones)

To painfully cheap dime store quality like this... that must have talking all but 5 minutes to write.

Early Aerosmith is a clear argument for drugs. They sucked when they kicked the dope.

"Rocks" in 1976.
View attachment 670631

View attachment 670632

Aerosmith's live shows in the 70s and early 80s sucked on toast.

Aerosmith's live shows in the 70s and early 80s sucked on toast.
I have never seen them, but have heard the same.
Particularly Tylers singing. His voice needs studio work to sound palatable. Let's be honest.
As well as some bands just are not good live.
And then others like Foghat were awesome live.

The Rolling Stones were past their sell-by date in the early 90s.

Geriatric rock does nothing for me.
Rolling Stones, IMHO, is the greatest overrated band in history.
I say that with their album Some Girls is one of my all time favorites.
If people hear Rolling Stones on the radio, to this day, virtually all of it is off of one of three albums...
Some Girls 1978
Black and blue 1976
Tattoo You 1981
Other than those three albums, everything else may have had one minor hit with the rest of the album - pure junk.

I am more of a fan of early Van Halen. First three albums, Heavy screaming guitar rock.
After the song Jump and Eddy playing with keyboards, I was done.
That was on my list in this thread.
I agree 1000%
The first albums were awesome. Complicated, terrific guitar riffs that were more than just speed playing... and then came MTV... and Van Halen sold out to bubble gum teeny bopper candy rock

Rolling Stones, IMHO, is the greatest overrated band in history.
I say that with their album Some Girls is one of my all time favorites.
If people hear Rolling Stones on the radio, to this day, virtually all of it is off of one of three albums...
Some Girls 1978
Black and blue 1976
Tattoo You 1981
Other than those three albums, everything else may have had one minor hit with the rest of the album - pure junk.
No, the greatest overrated band in history would be the Grateful Dead, followed by Phish.

But yeah, the Stones do place rather highly on that list.....Especially the crap they dumped after Sticky Fingers.

That was on my list in this thread.
I agree 1000%
The first albums were awesome. Complicated, terrific guitar riffs that were more than just speed playing... and then came MTV... and Van Halen sold out to bubble gum teeny bopper candy rock
The first album as a youth blew my socks off.
Saw them live twice during that stretch. Roth was a wild animal on stage.

No, the greatest overrated band in history would be the Grateful Dead, followed by Phish.

But yeah, the Stones do place rather highly on that list.....Especially the crap they dumped after Sticky Fingers.
Grateful Dead had some good songs, but the "Legendary Status" they have - yeah... no.

Forum List

Back