Background Checks

I disagree with your insistence. I find your premise silly. We card those who want to buy beer in an effort to prevent kids from purchasing beer from a licensed seller. We background check those who want to buy guns an in effort to prevent criminals from purchasing guns from a licensed seller.

Without a background check, criminals would know they could walk into any shop and freely buy a gun. Of course they would take advantage of that ability.

but they dont, want to know why? because purchased guns can be traced....through serial numbers....maybe a few dumb ones would do it...but most understand that and that's why they steal them.....or buy them on the black market

They dont now because they are aware they cant pass a background check. I think you give crimnal and crazies too much credit. I cant see the majority of them contemplating the pros and cons of serial number tracing when they are in need of a gun.

Miller: Tsarnaev Brothers Killed MIT Officer Because They Needed A Gun « CBS Boston

weren't needed in this case, just kill a cop....oh wait it's already ILLEGAL to do that.
Ah..so the point here is..do away with all laws..because criminals don't follow them.
Interesting.
I believe it was tried in Somalia. Not working out so well. But give it time.
Further proof that the anti-gun loons argue from emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.

I disagree with your insistence. I find your premise silly. We card those who want to buy beer in an effort to prevent kids from purchasing beer from a licensed seller. We background check those who want to buy guns an in effort to prevent criminals from purchasing guns from a licensed seller.

Without a background check, criminals would know they could walk into any shop and freely buy a gun. Of course they would take advantage of that ability.

but they dont, want to know why? because purchased guns can be traced....through serial numbers....maybe a few dumb ones would do it...but most understand that and that's why they steal them.....or buy them on the black market

They dont now because they are aware they cant pass a background check. I think you give crimnal and crazies too much credit. I cant see the majority of them contemplating the pros and cons of serial number tracing when they are in need of a gun.

the tighter the limitations we put on all people trying to control the few bad elements the greater the opportunity for the black market. there already is a huge black market for guns. it can expand overnight if the demand is there. look at NY with the passage of the safe act. you can no longer legally buy and assault style weapon. you can't walk into a gun shop and buy one. but you can but them off the streets. you can't buy ammunition over the internet. but you can buy it out of a guys trunk in the parking lot. these guys are moving 20,000 - 30,000 rounds out of their trunks in 30 minutes. the demand is there. it's just like drugs, they are illegal, but you can get whatever you want. and who suffers? the legitimate businessman. the state losing tax revenues on all of these sales. there is absolutely no record of who owns what. the black market doesn't require a background check.

Im aware of black market issues, and i think we should be focusing our efforts on those who sell illegally and not on legal gun owners.

However that doesn't mean i think we should abolish basic background checks on those looking to buy a firearm.

Im aware of black market issues, and i think we should be focusing our efforts on those who sell illegally and not on legal gun owners.

However that doesn't mean i think we should abolish basic background checks on those looking to buy a firearm.

most gun owners are sick of restriction after restriction being piled on them. it has been decades of all give and no take. like i mentioned yesterday, if we really believe background checks will work, they should propose a bill that strengthens background checks but loosens restrictions on qualified gun owners. but the gun grabbing mentalities of the left will never do that. their objective is to always move the line in the sand in their favor. So the result is a standstill. and people will not have their rights infringed anymore.

I think you are being a bit melodramatic. Gun control is a losing issue, and it grows more and more so every year. A mad man went into a school and killed classrooms full of the most innocent of us, and still more gun control couldn't pass.

No one is going to take your guns.

I think you are being a bit melodramatic. Gun control is a losing issue, and it grows more and more so every year. A mad man went into a school and killed classrooms full of the most innocent of us, and still more gun control couldn't pass.

No one is going to take your guns.

if congress was a little more slanted democrat, it would have already been done. had sandy hook occured in obamas first two years, it would have been a slam dunk. just look to NY to se what an anti gun democratic majority will do.

And yet it didnt pass because democratic congressmen opposed it. :)

4 of them, think if there had been a few more democrats in the pool. it didn't pass because republicans all voted against it. two less republicans would have resulted in a 4 vote swing and it would have gone the other way

And yet you present nothing to show it unsound.

Why don't we pass a law that will prevent murder? Because a law cannot prevent murder.
Why don't we pass a law that will prevent assault? Because a law cannot prevent assault.
Why don't we pass a law that will prevent rape? Because a law cannot prevent rape.
Why don't we pass a law that will prevent robbery? Because a law cannot prevent robbery.
Why donl't we pass a law that will prevent criminal posession of guns? Because a law cannot prevent criminal posession of guns.

What you want is no different that requiring CNN to present a story to the FCC so the FCC can determine if the story slanders someone or is an act of libel, and then allow/disallow the broadcast of the story on that basis.

Like I said..................having someone check your facts isn't a bad thing. Matter of fact, it can keep you out of hot water like the examples mentioned above.
Glad to hear that you support prior restraint.

Did you know that it's against the TOS to revise another's post to suit your own agenda?

I'm gonna report this one, because you've edited it to the point where you lost the original idea.

Miller: Tsarnaev Brothers Killed MIT Officer Because They Needed A Gun « CBS Boston

weren't needed in this case, just kill a cop....oh wait it's already ILLEGAL to do that.

Ah..so the point here is..do away with all laws..because criminals don't follow them.

Interesting.

I believe it was tried in Somalia. Not working out so well. But give it time.
Do you even understand the purpose of a law?

no he doesnt, he wants laws just to have them, he wants us all peasants I guess....

Sure they do, they know technicalities and other things too...why havent they bought more guns in stores, since the regulation is so lax?

Sure they do, they know all the tricks and how to get off crimes....but why havent they bought more guns at gun stores and such if there's no regulation? Why is the black market as big as it is?

Amy how would the background check law prevented any of these shootings over the last few years?

What all these shooters did, was illegal. What all they did would not have been prevented by a background check.

If I thought any new laws would prevent these shootings, I'd be all for it.

Like I said..................having someone check your facts isn't a bad thing. Matter of fact, it can keep you out of hot water like the examples mentioned above.
Glad to hear that you support prior restraint.

Did you know that it's against the TOS to revise another's post to suit your own agenda?

I'm gonna report this one, because you've edited it to the point where you lost the original idea.
Fact remains:
You support prior restraint, and you cannot deny it.

Amy how would the background check law prevented any of these shootings over the last few years?

What all these shooters did, was illegal. What all they did would not have been prevented by a background check.

If I thought any new laws would prevent these shootings, I'd be all for it.

I did not support the new background check law.

4 of them, think if there had been a few more democrats in the pool. it didn't pass because republicans all voted against it. two less republicans would have resulted in a 4 vote swing and it would have gone the other way

Sure, we can play the what if math game and in an alternate reality it might be law! But in this world, it didn't pass:)

Forum List

Back